Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2012, 02:37 PM

362 posts, read 543,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Good rules. I think #4 should read >25%, though.
You're right. Your mortgage/rent payment should be less than 25% of your take-home pay. My bad. Thank you for the correction!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 03:36 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,955,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
As I keep pointing out: some people live in their cars and vans by choice because they actually enjoy the lifestyle. I am one of those people. I will never live in a house again. I am out of doors almost all the time in the fresh air, in a great variety of settings, for very very low cost ... it is not hard to be clean and neat and healthy and organized in small, simplistic spaces.
I did live in some very small apartments, (500 SF or less). I did live in a van for a week while traveling but i missed real bathroom facilities. The large RVs are quite nice but pricey. Have often thought of buying used and moving it onto some land i have in Nor Cal.

But, the minimalist living spaces are hard to adjust to.

Now, what i find might be intriguing is building a large, metal warehouse and doing very a small conditioned place in it and have my fun spaces scattered around it. That might be the minimal living i can live with. I can build my boat and be protected from the elements..while having a cozy living area. It might catch on as it would be very energy efficient.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:55 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
I did live in some very small apartments, (500 SF or less). I did live in a van for a week while traveling but i missed real bathroom facilities. The large RVs are quite nice but pricey. Have often thought of buying used and moving it onto some land i have in Nor Cal.

But, the minimalist living spaces are hard to adjust to.

Now, what i find might be intriguing is building a large, metal warehouse and doing very a small conditioned place in it and have my fun spaces scattered around it. That might be the minimal living i can live with. I can build my boat and be protected from the elements..while having a cozy living area. It might catch on as it would be very energy efficient.
You might be surprised at how many guys are living in their garages and workshops ... I know characters like that, absolutely. Personally, I prefer to be outside a lot so .....

Bathrooms are over rated ... and you have 'em you gotta clean 'em ... there's plenty good ways to live without 'em.

Building a boat is a good thing ... it is a disease that nourishes the soul.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
You might be surprised at how many guys are living in their garages and workshops ... I know characters like that, absolutely. Personally, I prefer to be outside a lot so .....

Bathrooms are over rated ... and you have 'em you gotta clean 'em ... there's plenty good ways to live without 'em.

Building a boat is a good thing ... it is a disease that nourishes the soul.
We will have to start a thread with regards to bathrooms and their alternates,,Something like,,

"I am moving to Cali with no income and want to know if Service Station rest rooms will be adequate for my needs as i survive on the streets?"

Old 01-19-2012, 10:40 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times
Quote:
We will have to start a thread with regards to bathrooms and their alternates,,Something like,,

"I am moving to Cali with no income and want to know if Service Station rest rooms will be adequate for my needs as i survive on the streets?"
Ok .... I'm on it!

Old 01-20-2012, 07:33 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,150,301 times
Quote:

No no, first mistake is if you have no income you should NOT be anywhere near a street....Streets mean civilization... Touching pavement=spending/needing money... The more remote one is the less money they spend..

On bathrooms, that is easy.. Fine accommodations can be made with a shovel and a hand saw... Facilities with 360 degree views and unlimited fresh air.................

---------------------
Really though, to be able to afford to live anywhere one has to live within their means.... Frugality and being debt free help tooo...

Old 01-20-2012, 07:55 AM

258 posts, read 614,590 times
We should re-name this thread: Misers, and how we live in our Car, in Kalifornia. I vote Dean Trails, the Author and Nullgeoo, Dean's back seat rommate.

You people scare the holy bejusus outta me ! ! ! !

Old 01-20-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
No no, first mistake is if you have no income you should NOT be anywhere near a street....Streets mean civilization... Touching pavement=spending/needing money... The more remote one is the less money they spend..

On bathrooms, that is easy.. Fine accommodations can be made with a shovel and a hand saw... Facilities with 360 degree views and unlimited fresh air...................
I do like the pioneering spirit with regards to your quest for fresh air and view. But, the chilly temperatures that accompany those necessities will hurry the process along to the point that enjoyable reading and relaxation will be deterred?

Old 01-20-2012, 04:04 PM

258 posts, read 614,590 times
Hey Dean, do you ' borrow ' toliet paper from public bathrooms?

www.TightwadKaliforniaLiving.com

Old 01-20-2012, 05:29 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,150,301 times
Quote:
I do like the pioneering spirit with regards to your quest for fresh air and view. But, the chilly temperatures that accompany those necessities will hurry the process along to the point that enjoyable reading and relaxation will be deterred?
Ah... Indeed hence the reason for my move to warmer climates...

----
Mr. Kurtz... Yes that would be a good solution if you are in a bind.... Typically I am some distance from a public facility... So either it is good planning or an abrasive leafy .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California