Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 01:25 PM

23 posts, read 44,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
The growing scene in California is old and rather established (although there are always people wanting to partake in it).
It's an integral part of the culture.
The need for your hubby in that regard is probably little to none.

Also, by the time that you're ready to move the economy may be a lot different than it is now.
5 years these days can bring lots of change.
You may want to consider areas along the central coast.
I'm thinking that the weather too far north will not please you although it won't be anything like the PA.
San Luis Obispo county or Monterey county or Santa Cruz county are all potential options.
Of those 3, SLO would be the least expensive area but still quite pricey especially relative to what you're used to.
Finding the kind of scene that you loved in Madison is a tall order.
There are also areas in Sonoma county that you might like and where you may find the kind of community that you're looking for ... or something close to it.
California is not what it used to be and that wonderful, open, liberal, loving, free spirited community vibe that you liked is not easily found although there are "pockets" here and there and yet still .... .
The dominant culture has become more and more pervasive / overwhelming.
And though there are many liberal and tolerant areas along the coast of CA, you may find that the people are not as "warm and fuzzy" as they were (and probably still are) in Madison.
Come out and travel up and down the coast of California and get a real feel for it.
It may not be what you expect ... or it may be.
But you need to see for yourself.
Thank you thank you! I kind of think we may end up moving back to Madison despite the weather - primarily because I haven't found anywhere quite as "warm and fuzzy" as there (when we had to move quickly once, a woman who was selling her washer-dryer on craigslist ended up just giving it to us when she found out we had spent a lot moving and were cash strapped. We offered to pay her - but the people are genuinely just kind like that all the time). Either way, I'm definitely planning to come out to CA and check things out before we make any solid decision. But perhaps being cold is a small price to pay for the perfect social scene...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 01:45 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,532,074 times
Libby, it sounds like the social scene is the most important to you. If I were a liberal, I would look at university towns, like Chico. Affordable, liberal, lots of activity, but very hot, long summers. From my experience, any more north is mostly red neck conservative. Liberals thrive in cities.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:09 PM

23 posts, read 44,160 times
We actually don't mind heat so long as there is some access to water... My husband especially loves heat (and even humidity along with it!). But yes, the social thing is the most important.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:23 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,944,707 times
Pack up your truck and move to Beverly,,,,Hills that is,,,swimming pools and Alec Baldwin..

Old 01-02-2012, 04:13 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,853,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostLittleLibby View Post
We actually don't mind heat so long as there is some access to water... My husband especially loves heat (and even humidity along with it!). But yes, the social thing is the most important.
Libby, I kinda hate to recommend places that I love (lest they get noticed too much) but I'm going to throw one at you based on what I've been reading here. And, dang it!, I've recommended it several times in the past couple years on this forum to select folks, hope there's still plenty of space left for me.

Healdsburg, that rich "small-town vibe" town mentioned earlier, is on a stretch of the Russian River north of the Bay area about an hour and a half at most (70 miles, I think it is)... and nice enough town itself, but expensive to rent/buy. Now then: go west along the river into the Russian River Canyons areas of Guerneville and Monte Rio. You will find this a very eclectic area, full of funky and diverse and friendly -- although you will find a bit of unsavory here and there, as well, as you will anywhere in the world. You'll also find relatively cheap housing to rent or buy -- IF you and your husband are flexible, handy, and truly live the "funky" you claim to kinda like. If you want nice, it's still gonna cost California prices, but not so bad as many other areas not as nice. Point is there are cost options still in good neighborhoods.

Trick in Russian River canyon area is to consider sunshine -- especially in winter. The area is heavy in forest, for one thing, which is beautiful (and lots of Huge redwoods!) but also can get pretty dark-ish ... also the steep canyons mean daylight gets cut out much of the day by hill shadows. Other than that, the summers are fairly hot but not scorching, winters are moderate (rarely cold -- mid-50's and a bit up most days) with cold frosty nights. Lots of rain comes in through the winter months but not continuously like up in Eureka and the Pacific NW -- with plenty of sun to go with (but you gotta get outta the canyon). You are also just a hop skip and jump via a beautiful 20 mile, 1/2 hour drive to actual seashore on the unparalleled Sonoma coast ... and very close to both Healdsburg and another knock-out little town:Sebastopol (which town I like even better than Healdsburg, though smaller). Bodega Bay is also fun, but tiny.

For a combination of access to seashore, great towns, and the big city, while remaining in the forests along a terrific river (forgot to mention the swimming and canoeing in the Russian River is 1st rate!), around a very eclectic community of people from sophisticated, to artsy, to lumberjack rednecks -- all at a wide -- and sometimes affordable -- price range, you can't beat Guerneville with a stick.

A lot more communities for your husband and you to find work. Not completely out of bounds to even drive all the way to Santa Rosa for employment if can't find closer.

(The area is fairly popular with the gay community, btw -- so forget it if you are homophobic ... not a gay town, but gay-visited openly, including an annual gay parade and celebration.)

Old 01-02-2012, 07:35 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,645,074 times
Being an electrician for the medical crops- while it can be done and eventually you might get there, people do not really openly look for someone to come in and do that because they work with only those people that they know. But once you know people, doors will open.

Along the Russian river is nice. But another coastal college town (with good sunshine) is the Santa Cruz area. SLO is nice, but it a bit more costly. Again, paying high prices for gas.
Morro Bay is a little smaller and rent is slightly cheaper but still has the high gas prices.
However- if you have to get 'just a job' until you find a job you are trained for, minimum wage is one of the highest in the nation.

California has everything from big big city to nice small cities and also middle of nowhere small towns.
I lived in Miranda, along the Avenue of the Giants. Population was 330 people. I was 15 minutes to the areas hub town with shops and such, or if serious shopping was needed, the freeway was right there and Eureka (mall and Costco) was about an hour away. And I was walking distance from a small store and the Eel river.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:42 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,835,918 times
OwlKaMyst it's not accurate to say that SLO county is more expensive than Santa Cruz county as the opposite is true.
Santa Cruz county is extremely expensive and finding an affordable rental anywhere in it (with very few exceptions) is a real challenge.
And the average cost of a home in S.C. county (before economy tanked) was between 800 and 900 K.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:58 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,532,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
OwlKaMyst it's not accurate to say that SLO county is more expensive than Santa Cruz county as the opposite is true.
Santa Cruz county is extremely expensive and finding an affordable rental anywhere in it (with very few exceptions) is a real challenge.
And the average cost of a home in S.C. county (before economy tanked) was between 800 and 900 K.
plus Santa Cruz is a relatively cool climate, like Half Moon Bay, lots of foggy days.
Healdburg was a sleepy town, when I lived in the Bay, 12 yrs ago. Mostly family commuters.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:10 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,835,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
plus Santa Cruz is a relatively cool climate, like Half Moon Bay, lots of foggy days.
Healdburg was a sleepy town, when I lived in the Bay, 12 yrs ago. Mostly family commuters.
Well the summers are actually quite warm (but rarely too hot) when and where it's not foggy.
The fog often hugs the coast in the summer (although it's unpredictable and it comes and goes and some summers are foggier than others) but just a few miles inland there is no fog for much of the day.
Some days there is no fog at all.
Then it's quite warm to hot everywhere in the county.
And sometimes it gets quite hot and also there can be long stretches of days in the winter (between the rains) when it's very nice.
There are many days in the winter when i walk on the beach with only a light sweat shirt.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:45 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,853,309 times
SLO and Santa Cruz are definitely nice ... way nice ... and way more expensive than the Russian River canyons areas I wrote about.

Healdsburg? Sleepy commuter town? Mmmm, still a fairly quiet place ... but a rich, classy, upscale, culturally hip quiet place.

And no fog in Healdsburg ... very little in Sebastopol ... not much in Guerneville either. All too far inland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California