Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 10:44 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,563,976 times

Advertisements

Here is an interesting piece covering Jerry Brown's tenure as Oakland Mayor. Given all the cronyism and controversial job killing programs that JB has put into place and is advocating. Again I ask the question: Are you getting what you voted for?

How will Jerry Brown

Yes, yes I know my post is slanted politically but what did you expect?

However the piece in the link is very neutral. Try it you might like it.

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 12-30-2011 at 11:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 10:54 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,680,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Here is an interesting piece covering Jerry Brown's tenure as Oakland Mayor. Given all the cronyism and controversial job killing programs that GB has put into place and is advocating. Again I ask the question: Are you getting what you voted for?

How will Jerry Brown
I voted for Meg Whitman and so far, I'm not happy with Jerry Brown's overall performance. To be fair, I'm waiting to see what he does in 2012 before I reserve my final judgment.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:18 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,402,773 times
Is anyone really surprised by Brown's job performance so far? Things are happening exactly as expected. California's strict partisanship at-all-costs mentality never ceases to amaze me. He failed as governor the first time, failed as a mayor, failed as an attorney general. let's make him governor again!

"I'm tired of how things are here!"

"Yeah, me too!"

"What are we going to do about it?!"

"Vote for the same people over and over again!"

What's truly terrifying is that we're a Jerry Brown heart attack away from Gavin Newsom taking over.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:26 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,563,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
Is anyone really surprised by Brown's job performance so far? Things are happening exactly as expected. California's strict partisanship at-all-costs mentality never ceases to amaze me. He failed as governor the first time, failed as a mayor, failed as an attorney general. let's make him governor again!

"I'm tired of how things are here!"

"Yeah, me too!"

"What are we going to do about it?!"

"Vote for the same people over and over again!"

What's truly terrifying is that we're a Jerry Brown heart attack away from Gavin Newsom taking over.
No its not a surprise people who voted against JB. However based on the disatisfaction I hear from moderate democrats/indies that voted for him on this board and in my personal life, I thought I would ask the question.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:10 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,944,707 times
What's truly terrifying is that we're a Jerry Brown heart attack away from Gavin Newsom taking over.[/quote]

THAT comment is the only thing about Brown's regime that keeps me up at night. We gotta keep Brown healthy. But, of course Newsom will be running for gov, after Brown leaves the stage. Hopefully, the dems will have someone sane in the primaries to run against him.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:20 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,511,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
He didn't fail as governor the first time although Prop 13 laid the roots of the state's future decline. Nor did he fail as a mayor or as an attorney general (he went after the city of Bell because L.A. County D.A. Steve Cooley won't touch a public corruption case with a ten foot pole). Truthfully, even someone with the political skills of an FDR or a Lincoln would have great difficulty being governor of CA right now considering CA's political system is broken and its economy is broken. Mere tinkering is not enough.

As for Brown, I'm glad he abolished CRAs, which are cesspools of corruption and eminent domain abuse, and that the CA Supreme Court upheld his decision to abolish CRAs.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:22 PM

2,441 posts, read 3,420,685 times
No. And Im not surprised by Jerry's incompetence, Obama's or any to follow. And I will never believe that the world will be a better place because of any effort of their counterparts. The facts show that, overall, moral values continue to decline and the gap between rich and poor continues to widen, including in those countries where liberation theology was prominent.

Paul Weyrich, coiner of the term "moral majority," wrote in the magazine Christianity Today: "Even when we win in politics, our victories fail to translate into the kind of policies we believe are important." He also wrote: "The culture is becoming an ever-wider sewer. We are caught up in a cultural collapse of historic proportions, a collapse so great that it simply overwhelms politics."

Columnist and author Cal Thomas revealed what he viewed as a fundamental flaw in trying to elevate society through politics: "Real change comes heart by heart, not election by election, because our primary problems are not economic and political but moral and spiritual."

"Politics cannot begin to put the connecting tissue back in society. It is ill-equipped to reconstruct traditional moral beliefs. The best policies cannot recover courtship or marriage, make fathers responsible for their children, restore shock or shame where it once existed . . . The vast majority of moral problems that trouble us cannot be eradicated by law." - former U.S. government aide

Old 12-30-2011, 05:44 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,511,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post

Paul Weyrich, coiner of the term "moral majority," wrote in the magazine Christianity Today: "Even when we win in politics, our victories fail to translate into the kind of policies we believe are important." He also wrote: [i]"The culture is becoming an ever-wider sewer. We are caught up in a cultural collapse of historic proportions, a collapse so great that it simply overwhelms politics."
The Moral Majority were a very negative force in US politics. While Weyrich's advocacy of public transit and rail should be praised, his other prognostications are airy-fairy spiritual crap which is unquantifiable, and the same goes for Cal Thomas. Let's not forget Weyrich and Cal Thomas are vicious homophobes.

A new state constitution would get California on the right track. However, every special interest in the state will try to prevent this from happening.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:05 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,853,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The Moral Majority were a very negative force in US politics. While Weyrich's advocacy of public transit and rail should be praised, his other prognostications are airy-fairy spiritual crap which is unquantifiable, and the same goes for Cal Thomas. Let's not forget Weyrich and Cal Thomas are vicious homophobes.

A new state constitution would get California on the right track. However, every special interest in the state will try to prevent this from happening.
Actually, those are outstanding observations quoted -- in spite of their authors' personally deplorable character flaws. Take the quotes on their own merit, without confusing them with their authors, and you have some real worthy thoughts to ponder. Politics is its own nasty little subculture with its own agendas -- a somewhat necessary, entirely predictable, and irritatingly self-absorbed, selfish child of any society beyond hunting-gathering. Anyone who expects it to be other than the nefarious clusterf**k it is, is, well, delusional.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:57 PM

9,894 posts, read 21,960,538 times
Im surprised of all the new laws. Why we have a full time legislature ill never understand. They have too much time on their hands & are law crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California