Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 07:53 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,633,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Yep, biggest threat we have is the newly introduced Russian Boar.
They are recently introduced where?

They have been in the hills of the Central Coast all my life. In Boy Scouts we would scare the heck out of each other while hiking in chaparral covered hills, a long time ago. I see them frequently these days, but, I have never seen one aggressive. They are just tasty pigs.

No limit on them in CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 09:41 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,198,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
I hope they reintroduce wolves to the Santa Monica mountains. We've got way too many deer, raccoons & obnoxious cyclists.
Lots of coyotes in the SMM, bobcats are common, and there are still believed to be a few cougars. The big cats face many problems and may become extinct in the SMM in the near future. Civilization and building have isolated the population and inbreeding and lack of access to the mountains by cougars from other areas may signal their demise. If that happens, then an overpopulation of deer could happen. While coyotes will sometimes pack up and take deer and bobcats will take fawns and sub adults, they are not apex predators like cougars. There are no bears in the SMM, and of course, there will never be wolves there.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Lots of coyotes in the SMM, bobcats are common, and there are still believed to be a few cougars. The big cats face many problems and may become extinct in the SMM in the near future. Civilization and building have isolated the population and inbreeding and lack of access to the mountains by cougars from other areas may signal their demise. If that happens, then an overpopulation of deer could happen. While coyotes will sometimes pack up and take deer and bobcats will take fawns and sub adults, they are not apex predators like cougars. There are no bears in the SMM, and of course, there will never be wolves there.
Santa Monica Cougars

Old 01-17-2012, 09:14 AM

50,063 posts, read 46,618,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
They are recently introduced where?

They have been in the hills of the Central Coast all my life. In Boy Scouts we would scare the heck out of each other while hiking in chaparral covered hills, a long time ago. I see them frequently these days, but, I have never seen one aggressive. They are just tasty pigs.

No limit on them in CA.
S cal. These are the Russian jobs not feral of which we already had. I had a friend get treed while riding.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:36 AM

The wild pigs in CA are the result of interbreeding between European wild boars and feral domestic pigs. They may have recently spread into So Cal, but, they have been in the Santa Ynez Range behind Santa Barbara for at least 60 years.

Pigs

-2 degrees at our old home near Truckee this fine AM

Old 01-17-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
The wild pigs in CA are the result of interbreeding between European wild boars and feral domestic pigs. They may have recently spread into So Cal, but, they have been in the Santa Ynez Range behind Santa Barbara for at least 60 years.

Pigs

-2 degrees at our old home near Truckee this fine AM
Some crazy Indian decided it a wise move to release a pen full of Russian hogs on the rez. A short time later he let go another batch of Russians and regular oinkers. It appears that some of the long legged, hairy full strength Russians made it along just fine.

Anyway, that's how we got our oinkers. We've been huntin the mixed batch at Tejon etc for years.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:18 PM

there are Rezs, Rezi? Where the indians guide clueless out of state hunters to shoot various creatures, were the pigs released for that purpose?

Old 01-17-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
there are Rezs, Rezi? Where the indians guide clueless out of state hunters to shoot various creatures, were the pigs released for that purpose?

Nope, not completely. The excuse was "hunting opportunities". But the rez for that dude wasn't that big. I think it was because it bordered a national park that would provide a pretty good incubator to get it going.

It's now spread 50 miles in every direction and still going.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:00 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,939,451 times
I heard the wolves had reclaimed Chernobyl by now.... good, the first signs of nature taking what belongs to it back. Hopefully, the rest follows. It's peaceful and quiet in Chernobyl now

Old 01-18-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
I heard the wolves had reclaimed Chernobyl by now.... good, the first signs of nature taking what belongs to it back. Hopefully, the rest follows. It's peaceful and quiet in Chernobyl now
How soon are you selling your house, quit renting and living nomad style?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California