Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 10:14 AM

4 posts, read 3,628 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
we are looking to move from DC to the west (not necessarily west coast). There are many threads on this forum that are similar, and we've already done a lot of research - but I want to find out what other places are an option.

We are a white couple in our early thirties with no kids (but hopefully soon). We are pretty liberal. What we are looking for:
-fairly safe place
-not too expensive
-fairly dry climate (sensitive joints)
-somewhere in suburbia
-within 30-45 minutes of a city that has computer jobs
-we'll be living on a single ~$100,000 salary for the first half a year or so

I hope this criteria is not too tight. We've already looked at the areas surrounding San Diego (a little too expensive for our 1 salary). San Francisco/San Jose are both WAY out of our range. Phoenix sounds affordable, but questionable due to their sheriff (I know it's not California, but we considered it).

What other areas should we check out? Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 10:44 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,835,918 times
If you don't mind a just somewhat chilly winter, you could explore the surrounding areas of Albuquerque, N.M. (even Santa Fe is within your driving distance criteria if i'm remembering correctly).
The Austin, TX area is another possibility.
I know nothing about the employment scene in either places but they could fit your other criteria.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:36 AM

3,721 posts, read 14,686,999 times
Check out the Inland Empire - Riverside and San Bernadino counties. Cheaper housing than along the coast and but still an hour drive to the beaches around LA.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:33 PM

16 posts, read 13,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_gabriel View Post
Hi all,
we are looking to move from DC to the west (not necessarily west coast). There are many threads on this forum that are similar, and we've already done a lot of research - but I want to find out what other places are an option.

We are a white couple in our early thirties with no kids (but hopefully soon). We are pretty liberal. What we are looking for:
-fairly safe place
-not too expensive
-fairly dry climate (sensitive joints)
-somewhere in suburbia
-within 30-45 minutes of a city that has computer jobs
-we'll be living on a single ~$100,000 salary for the first half a year or so

I hope this criteria is not too tight. We've already looked at the areas surrounding San Diego (a little too expensive for our 1 salary). San Francisco/San Jose are both WAY out of our range. Phoenix sounds affordable, but questionable due to their sheriff (I know it's not California, but we considered it).

What other areas should we check out? Any suggestions?

Not sure why you wouldn't consider Phoenix. The sheriff does not interfere with the day-in day-out quality of life in Phoenix/Marciopa County, maybe its the press slant that you might be getting in DC. If you like something a bit smaller, Tucson isn't bad either and meets your specs.

Also, AZ's property taxes won't be bad, and the state income tax is way lower than CA,. You'd need to get used to some hot summers, but then again it wamrs up in the CA Inland Empire pretty well also.

Good Luck!

Old 01-04-2012, 12:54 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,953,769 times
Coachella Valley - it's pretty dry here!

I wouldn't do Austin, TX, as somebody suggested. I lived in San Antonio and frequently went into Austin - both are the "hill country" and both are humid as hell.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:00 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,835,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Coachella Valley - it's pretty dry here!

I wouldn't do Austin, TX, as somebody suggested. I lived in San Antonio and frequently went into Austin - both are the "hill country" and both are humid as hell.
Goes to show what i know about Texas.
I just assumed it was dry there.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:16 PM

Thanks all for your replies, keep the suggestions coming! Off to do more research...

Old 01-04-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Goes to show what i know about Texas.
I just assumed it was dry there.
So did I. Then I moved there and couldn't wait for the day I could bust outta there and get back to California! But I gotta say ... the shopping was AWESOME!!!

Old 01-04-2012, 03:17 PM

Thanks for the replies! I've done a little bit of research and it seems that none of these places fall into our criteria.

-Albuquerque, NM - unfortunately there are close to 0 jobs there for software development.
-Austin, TX - seems to have a pretty humid climate.
-Riverside and San Bernadino, CA - it seems these 2 have pretty high crime rates. Are these places safe?
-Tucson, AZ - it also has almost no jobs for me.
-Coachella Valley - seems like an otherwise fitting area, but it also has no software jobs.

I really appreciate all the input. Do you guys have more suggestions?

Old 01-04-2012, 03:35 PM

Not sure about software jobs, but there are parts of Riverside and San Bernardino that can get pretty rough, but overall, these are not unsafe areas. In fact, when the economy improves a little we are going to sell our house in La Quinta and move to Riverside (Hawarden Hills).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California