Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 05:45 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,308,419 times

Advertisements

Too funny. A little effete who's probably never gotten a grain of dirt beneath his manicured digits is going to argue agronomy with someone whose family has been growing for generations.

By all means, please keep the circus performing. Most entertaining!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 09:21 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,627,860 times
Here user, try this fraction, taking your figure of 800,000,000 and the economic value of ag in ca at $40,000,000,000

Here is a fraction

Get it?

Here, I have another topic you can argue over, The sun will rise today, and it will be warm.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:43 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,250,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Here, I have another topic you can argue over, The sun will rise today, and it will be warm.
user_id is out right now, so I will take over...

From the earth's point of view, the sun is generally constant, it is the earth's rotation that causes the sun to 'appear' rising. Anybody with a 3rd grade education would realize that. I cannot expect the readers here to be of the level of intellect as I.

"..and it will be warm" is ambiguous, I assume you mean the temperature observed in some designated area will appear to be warm. Since it is not clear who or what will be doing the observing and the word 'warm' is vague, it cannot be determined if it is warm. However, the way you wrote it, you are suggesting that the sun itself is warm and implying that only occurs after it has 'risen'. This nonsense can not be interpreted properly by anyone of my intelligence so I will just let it go.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:52 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,627,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post

From the earth's point of view, the sun is generally constant, it is the earth's rotation that causes the sun to 'appear' rising. Anybody with a 3rd grade education would realize that. I cannot expect the readers here to be of the level of intellect as I.

"..and it will be warm" is ambiguous, I assume you mean the temperature observed in some designated area will appear to be warm. Since it is not clear who or what will be doing the observing and the word 'warm' is vague, it cannot be determined if it is warm. However, the way you wrote it, you are suggesting that the sun itself is warm and implying that only occurs after it has 'risen'. This nonsense can not be interpreted properly by anyone of my intelligence so I will just let it go.

You channel very well.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:19 PM

12,460 posts, read 19,992,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Too funny. A little effete who's probably never gotten a grain of dirt beneath his manicured digits is going to argue agronomy with someone whose family has been growing for generations.
Firstly you were a state worker so you're the ultimate "effete". Secondly I'm talking about economics in relation to agriculture I'm not talking about agriculture itself. Beyond a few courses and growing things in a family farm (non-commercial) I have no special expertise in farming.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:24 PM

12,460 posts, read 19,992,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Here user, try this fraction, taking your figure of 800,000,000 and the economic value of ag in ca at $40,000,000,000

Here is a fraction

Get it?
I get that you're trying wiggle our way out of your erroneous claims. The USDA is just one source of subsidies in California. But even there a $800 million/annual subsidy for an $40 billion dollar industry is significant...and there is still water subsidies, tax subsidies, tariffs, etc. Your comment about dairy was dead wrong as well...I guess that is what happens when you pull exclusively from personal experience..

California may not be the top state for subsidies, that goes to states that deal almost exclusive with large commodity crops (corn, cotton, etc), but to suggesting that the state doesn't receive large subsidies is flat out ridiculous.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:26 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,760,092 times
I was a state worker when I was a forest fire fighter. Is that effete?

Old 01-14-2012, 12:31 PM

2,441 posts, read 3,415,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanideThistles View Post
I've thought about it a little. CA's population is about 38 million, while Texas is around 26 million. I've heard the Texas population is much more booming than CA's. With many Californians moving to TX for better opportunity, and immigration to Texas from Mexico and Asia could really boost up Texas' population, and people all around the US will find Texas "the place to be" instead of CA.

Who knows, maybe in 20 years, Texas might be the largest populated state and people in say, Michigan for example, will think about taking a vacation to Texas instead of California.

Would you mind that if it happened too? Hell, CA's population could even decline.
I for one, would welcome that. Too crowded, especially in southern Ca. right now anyway. I love L.A. til the end. But that is just why Im not still there. People from all over came running into town because they thought it was the melting pot of gold. And lately a lot of those same folks are griping, disappointed to find out that Cali is just another place. No better or worse than other places. So now, let The Lone Star taste what opportunist overcrowding feels like.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:38 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,308,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I was a state worker when I was a forest fire fighter. Is that effete?
And I was a state cop. Guess that's effete too.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:13 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,837,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post

While your take is excellent, you missed some greater realities that will refute your "user_id" channeling ... allow me to expand a bit (in hopes user will return to take up the challenge):

While the observation that the sun's warmth cannot be properly evaluated without considering who / what is doing the evaluating is correct, the observations that you make about the sun 'rising' though being actually fixed in a "position", is also subject to great relativity. Anyone actually knowledgeable about such things would know about Minkowski's eleven theorems concerning the 'packaging' of space ... and particularly the theorem concerning the absence of time and spatiality on the plane he termed the "nullgeodesic". On the nullgeodesic plane -- which plane and theorem are used in actual physics and mathematical computations for certain projections in space sciences and astronomy -- there is no dimensional nor temporal space at all. To put it in layman's terms: there is only experience.

Thus the temperature of the sun is relative only to the affected instrument / observer, yes -- but there are no actual distances between the two: sun / affected instrument -- including time. Thus the sun doesn't "rise" in any 'position' at all: it 'occurs' simultaneously in space and time with the instrument (including farmers) making any observation ... and its temperature is, likewise, the temperature of perception / recording.

Since Minkowski was Einstein's most influential teacher, one would think that any effete pseudo-intellectual daring to flaunt relativity would know such basics before attacking a farmer who experiences them on a daily basis. Hmmm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California