Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 11:35 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,833,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I'd love to ship 15 million or so to lovely Tejas.
And I vote for shipping double that to Canada ...
In the words that once sparked a revolution: "Let them eat moose!" (or something along those lines it was ... can't recall exact wording)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 11:51 AM

50,056 posts, read 46,553,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
And I vote for shipping double that to Canada ...
In the words that once sparked a revolution: "Let them eat moose!" (or something along those lines it was ... can't recall exact wording)

Old 01-05-2012, 12:56 PM

159 posts, read 488,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Dallas is further south, but it is an extension of the Great Plans, with no Pacific Ocean to warm up the ARctic air that can sweep down on the Plains.

Average January Hi/Lo in Dallas: 57/34
Average January Hi/Lo in San Francisco: 58/46.

Averages don't tell the whole story, either. Dallas has more exteme swings in temperature than NorCal.

My city's averages are highs at 57 in January, and lows at about 38. Not much of a big difference than Dallas.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:10 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,199,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Dallas is further south, but it is an extension of the Great Plans, with no Pacific Ocean to warm up the ARctic air that can sweep down on the Plains.

Average January Hi/Lo in Dallas: 57/34
Average January Hi/Lo in San Francisco: 58/46.

Averages don't tell the whole story, either. Dallas has more exteme swings in temperature than NorCal.
LOL What? SF does not = NorCal. It's a tiny fraction of a percentage of Nor Cal, and even has multiple micro climates within itself. I guarantee you that Northern California has higher temperature extremes than Dallas. Does Dallas have huge mountain ranges with alpine climates, like Nor Cal does? No? Case closed.

You can have below-freezing, snowy, weather in one part of Northern California, and hot weather in another part, at the same time. Does that sound like Dallas to you? Then again, you are attempting to compare one city to an entire region that alone has more geographic and climactic diversity than the entirety of Texas, which is a strange though process, to say the least.

And that dude lives in Santa Rosa, not SF, so your comparison should look more like this:

-Average January Hi/Lo in Dallas: 57/34
-Average January Hi/Lo in Santa Rosa: 58/37

So it's almost the same as Dallas for January.

And if you look at the yearly data, you'll see that Santa Rosa actually has more of a difference between averages than Dallas does:

-Average Hi/Lo in Dallas: 76/57
-Average Hi/Lo in Santa Rosa: 71/44

As far as extremes, Nor Cal certainly beats out Dallas:

Dallas hi/low records: 113/-3
Nor Cal hi/low records: 118/-34 (no official stats as Nor Cal is not a state, just based on my own research)

You'd do better to compare Dallas to individual cities than an entire half of California...and even then Nor Cal has plenty of towns/cities that have very similar extremes, with a few that have higher extremes. Examples:

Weaverville hi/low records: 116/-10
Willits hi/low records: 118/-3
Independence hi/low records: 114/-5
Bishop hi/low records: 112/-8
Yreka hi/low records: 110/-11
Alturas hi/low records: 108/-34
Susanville hi/low records: 106/-23
Mount Shasta hi/low records: 105/-13
Truckee hi/low records: 99/-31
South Lake Tahoe hi/low records: 99/-29
Markleeville hi/low records: 102/-25
Grass Valley hi/low records: 111/-1
Redding hi/low records: 117/7
Ukia hi/low records: 115/10
Chico hi/low records: 117/11
Sonora hi/low records: 113/8
Placerville hi/low records: 110/8
Healdsburg hi/low records: 116/14
Sacramento hi/low records: 114/17
Oakdale hi/low records: 114/12
Santa Rosa hi/low records: 110/16
Auburn hi/low records: 113/16

Old 01-05-2012, 03:18 PM

13,715 posts, read 30,993,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Sure it can happen. Texas is running out of things to brag about that people will believe so largest population will be a nice fit.

Besides, how can you not love living in a state in which the only way to get a ticket for throwing a beer can out the window of your pick-up truck is if it still has beer in it?
Although I usually enjoy your posts, I hope you realize that "Don't Mess with Texas" was one of the most successful anti-litter campaigns ever. And it was a long time ago that "open containers" were banned in moving vehicles. I do know people who miss the old ways.

I wish fewer people would move to Texas. Our unemployment numbers would be better if we have fewer people coming here thinking there are jobs everywhere.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:09 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Although I usually enjoy your posts, I hope you realize that "Don't Mess with Texas" was one of the most successful anti-litter campaigns ever. And it was a long time ago that "open containers" were banned in moving vehicles. I do know people who miss the old ways.
Glad to hear it. But that does leave one burning question. Do the license plates on pick-up trucks still say "Texas Truck?" I mean, do Texans really need to be told they're driving some kind of a truck? Can't they figure that out on their own?

Old 01-06-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Glad to hear it. But that does leave one burning question. Do the license plates on pick-up trucks still say "Texas Truck?" I mean, do Texans really need to be told they're driving some kind of a truck? Can't they figure that out on their own?
I don't think they do. But you are smart enough to know that when they did say "truck" it was simply a registration and license difference. The roots of the popularity of pickup trucks in Texas is ranching and farming. So any vehicle used for those purposes was licensed differently.

It is just like how it was once possible to get a drivers license at 15 for kids who needed to drive for work on their farm and ranch. But you can't do that now.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:04 AM

10,399 posts, read 15,480,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanideThistles View Post
My city's averages are highs at 57 in January, and lows at about 38. Not much of a big difference than Dallas.
Average Temp's are Spin Doctors greatest tool...it get down below ZERO Sometimes In Dallas TX.....

Old 01-06-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Average Temp's are Spin Doctors greatest tool...it get down below ZERO Sometimes In Dallas TX.....
Averages aren't useless though. The average LOW is pretty telling as is the average HIGH.

Peak values, whether low or high, aren't very meaningful in assessing climate.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:31 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,526,174 times
In order for Texas to handle more people it's going to have to figure out its water situation. The Edwards Acquifer is shrinking dramatically, and Texas doesn't have the system of aqueducts that CA has to support the number of people (and even CA's water supply is limited).

Maybe they'll be able to go down the desalination road:
Texas drought raises appeal of water desalination | State | News from Fort Worth, Dallas... (http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/01/04/3635479/texas-drought-raises-appeal-of.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California