Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 01:03 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,685,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
I've taken a bus across country (years ago ... what a drag it was) and i've driven and i can't stand to fly ... i won't.
If i couldn't drive, i'd take the train.
It sounds fun and i bet it's a lot more comfortable and relaxing than a bus.
Even though it takes longer, it sure is FUN! On long distance trips there is a lounge car where the seats face the window. So nice to just lean back, sip a beverage (or not) and just relax and enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 05:16 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,941,655 times
Very Soon we will have the Bullet Train to take us where ever we want in no time at all and for little money. There will be hubs to jet-pack to then hop on the train and take a short snooze and Voila! You are are at your destination.....

Old 01-06-2012, 05:18 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,332,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Very Soon we will have the Bullet Train to take us where ever we want in no time at all and for little money. There will be hubs to jet-pack to then hop on the train and take a short snooze and Voila! You are are at your destination.....
Don't forget the unicorns!

Old 01-06-2012, 05:35 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,831,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
Even though it takes longer, it sure is FUN! On long distance trips there is a lounge car where the seats face the window. So nice to just lean back, sip a beverage (or not) and just relax and enjoy.
Even though it may be more expensive and it may take longer, that sounds so much better than either a plane or bus!

Old 01-06-2012, 10:23 PM

21,663 posts, read 24,806,479 times
Yeah, for the $200 a night they charge for a 3x6 foot cubicle on Amtrak I'd rather be in a nice hotel on the beach in Santa Cruz. Whatever. If sleeping on a fold-out cot in a closet sounds "romantic", have at it. I'll just fly.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:42 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,831,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yeah, for the $200 a night they charge for a 3x6 foot cubicle on Amtrak I'd rather be in a nice hotel on the beach in Santa Cruz. Whatever. If sleeping on a fold-out cot in a closet sounds "romantic", have at it. I'll just fly.
wow .. that much?

Old 01-07-2012, 12:17 AM

54 posts, read 95,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
Amtrak limits you to 2 bags.
On the Amtrak website it list two carry-ons and three checked bags, all with a 50 pound limit for each bag. Has that been reduced to two? Seems like five 50 pound bags is a lot of stuff! I have only used the train to get as far as Tucson so I have never taken more than one bag.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:59 AM

Quote:
If you want more, you gotta pay more. Sound famliar? They offer different types of rooms, the more expensive have more room and a private toilet and shower. I've never had a problem with the public ones, however.

Yes, in fact I do find train travel a fun and romantic way to travel. Slow, but fun. I look at the other pluses such as the slow pace (to the west coast that would be too much for many, but overnight it isn't bad), the chance to relax and chatter over a leisurely meal,great food (it is very good) The fold-down beds are not that bad, although they may not be for everyone. Besides, the attendant assigned to your cabin comes to put the bed down and put it back up!

Old 01-09-2012, 03:22 AM

Quote:
I'd rather be in Santa Cruz in a nice hotel, too, but first I gotta get there!

Old 01-09-2012, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Yeah, and don't forget to make your reservation on the space station, for a trip to the moon. All the cool kids are doin' it this year!!

Remember all those predictions from back in the day about how life was gonna be in the year 2000 and beyond?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California