Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 02:04 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,833,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Your thinking here is far removed from economic reality, firstly consumer products tend to have a large about of elasticity and the idea that you can increase prices without reducing consumption is absurd. ....
*Yawn* No. Prices increase all the time and people adjust. And no where have I suggested increasing any prices dramatically at all ... just the opposite.

You were fun for a while ... but now I've got you to the point where your manufacturing of issues to argue has lost its new car shine ... you'll have to argue with your fence boards today I guess. Not a worthy, or even slightly correct point in your bait bucket here.

I'm going sailing. Catch you next time around, user

Old 01-17-2012, 05:41 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,938,650 times
All those in favor of Nullgeo and User_ID having their own Forum (Sorta like Siskel and Ebert.) raise your Mouse!!!!

The Mice have it.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:04 PM

It's a entertainment service I am happy to provide (in between sails and swims ... nice steady Kona wind last couple days ... unfortunately, the Konas bring VOG up from the Big Island south and it is irritating ... but, the northerly trades will resume on Wednesday and clear the air) ... grand fun for the "proles", as user likes to refer to you all .

Old 01-17-2012, 08:15 PM

12,460 posts, read 19,989,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
*Yawn* No. Prices increase all the time and people adjust.
You seem to be conflating inflationary increases in price with non-inflationary ones. The fed runs a positive rate of inflation so prices are always increasing...but so are wages so its all the same. But adding (or increasing) a sin-tax on a product wouldn't be on top of inflation not in replace of it, as a result it will shift consumption in any product class that has a good deal of elasticity -- which happens to be the majority.

Any company that could increase prices yet maintain the same volume needs to fire their executives because their pricing strategy was blatantly suboptimal.

Also, another problem with sin taxes is that they are highly regressive, you'd be shifting taxes away from the wealthy and towards the poor/mid income folks. If such taxes didn't stink of fascism I'm sure the Republican party would have already implemented much of what you're saying...

Old 01-17-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
You seem to be conflating inflationary increases in price with non-inflationary ones. The fed runs a positive rate of inflation so prices are always increasing...but so are wages so its all the same. But adding (or increasing) a sin-tax on a product wouldn't be on top of inflation not in replace of it, as a result it will shift consumption in any product class that has a good deal of elasticity -- which happens to be the majority.

Any company that could increase prices yet maintain the same volume needs to fire their executives because their pricing strategy was blatantly suboptimal.

Also, another problem with sin taxes is that they are highly regressive, you'd be shifting taxes away from the wealthy and towards the poor/mid income folks. If such taxes didn't stink of fascism I'm sure the Republican party would have already implemented much of what you're saying...
Asberger's? or just plain old:

In either case, your public awaits:

Old 01-18-2012, 05:16 PM

9,894 posts, read 21,924,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Clearly, we MUST RAISE TAXES to pay for critical spending such as gold-plated pensions & Cadillac health care for unionized employees.
Its only the right thing to do.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:30 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Asberger's? or just plain old:

In either case, your public awaits:
Well as Albert Einstein is reported to have said, "Imagination is more important than knowledge." I find the former totally lacking on one side of this argument and the latter quite suspect. Besides, Wikipedia is down now.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:45 PM

9,894 posts, read 21,924,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Clearly, we MUST RAISE TAXES to pay for critical spending such as gold-plated pensions & Cadillac health care for unionized employees.
I totally agree but that wont happen cause brown is their *****. Also metro rail is a lame idea thats going to cost the tax payers billions of dollars. Is jerry brown mentally challenged ?

Old 01-18-2012, 08:19 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,938,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I totally agree but that wont happen cause brown is their *****. Also metro rail is a lame idea thats going to cost the tax payers billions of dollars. Is jerry brown mentally challenged ?
Jerry Brown is basically a do-gooder. He began his career as a theologian. That may bring some insight into his psyche. He means well and wants to help humanity,,,,with your taxes!!

In your heart, you know he is wrong!

Old 01-19-2012, 12:13 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,101,372 times
Meanwhile, due to budget constraints California has reduced supplemental SSI payments for disabled folks from $233 per month to $156 per month, a reduction of 33%.

Yet Governor Brown wants to spend $100 billion on a bullet train that replicates the extensive air transportation service already available between our major cities.

But he claims this is because he is a visionary.

Yeah, right...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California