Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 05:38 PM

50,116 posts, read 46,724,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
I don't consider you arrogant because you are assertive, at all ... I consider you arrogant, and silly, because you are rude, intentionally and consistently, most often without justification ... you constantly demean others' opinions rather than simply expressing your own ... and downright snotty about it all the while pointing out how "prole" are the minions around you on this forum and in the world. And, btw, while you at times make actually very good observations and points, also very often you are quite full of sh*t -- and you do go on and on trying to prove otherwise, with specious diversions and tangents and re-definitions, when you are caught stepping in your own piles. But hey, if it pleases you to be as you are, by all means continue to provide a target for lampooning ... I'm hardly the only one making these observations.
I will second that motion. I didn't think a grocery worker would have such a chip on the shoulder! Maybe that is the reason?

Go TEXANS

Old 01-07-2012, 05:45 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,361,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Except of course that hospitals don't give out free health care, instead they treat people in emergency rooms which they are later billed for.
How much are they really going to collect from people with no/fake ID and no SSN?

Old 01-07-2012, 05:49 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,101,233 times
This is a perfect example of why California is broke:

Car Scrappage - Voluntary Accelerated Vehicle Retirement

I don’t know about anyone else, but I think it’s foolish to pay people $1000 to $1500 plus to scrap their cars that won’t pass smog. The environmental nannies have turned a private problem into a tax burden.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:53 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,101,233 times
Here’s another boondoggle, if you’re broke and want to keep your failing car California will pay up to $500 to help your car pass smog.

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...CAP%20FAQs.pdf

Old 01-07-2012, 06:27 PM

364 posts, read 609,026 times
Too bad we can't start from scratch and instead of having to justify every dime cut from spending the libs be put in the position of having to justify the billions (trillions for Obama) that they say must be spent. What a mess.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:01 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,063,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason42 View Post

Really...
Unfortunately spending per pupil is a poor predictor of school performance. So this data doesn't have much to do with education. Instead it is all about spending.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:12 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,364,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Unfortunately spending per pupil is a poor predictor of school performance. So this data doesn't have much to do with education. Instead it is all about spending.
And spending more on administration, training to the test and social causes than teaching and educating.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:40 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,854,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
This is a perfect example of why California is broke:

Car Scrappage - Voluntary Accelerated Vehicle Retirement

I don’t know about anyone else, but I think it’s foolish to pay people $1000 to $1500 plus to scrap their cars that won’t pass smog. The environmental nannies have turned a private problem into a tax burden.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Here’s another boondoggle, if you’re broke and want to keep your failing car California will pay up to $500 to help your car pass smog.

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...CAP%20FAQs.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine7793 View Post
Too bad we can't start from scratch and instead of having to justify every dime cut from spending the libs be put in the position of having to justify the billions (trillions for Obama) that they say must be spent. What a mess.
The only reason California is in budgetary straits right now is the crash of the overall economy based in the real estate bubble ... which bubble in California was among the worst. Period. End of story.

All these other programs and 'boondoggles' added up together aren't a drop in the bucket to the magnitude of the problem ... which problem will shake itself out over time with market correction and a resumption of the economy drivers California was best at before: computer / software / communications development, venture capital, higher education, agriculture, medicine -- to name the top tier.

The programs you cite, while seemingly silly, are nothing. And wastefulness is always a good target for better management. Pension plans have become strongly skewed out of proportion and need some correction. Prison management needs some correction. Education needs some innovation. But California's current state is from the real estate based, national crash.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:54 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,364,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
The only reason California is in budgetary straits right now is the crash of the overall economy based in the real estate bubble ... which bubble in California was among the worst. Period. End of story.
All these other programs and 'boondoggles' added up together aren't a drop in the bucket to the magnitude of the problem ... which problem will shake itself out over time with market correction and a resumption of the economy drivers California was best at before: computer / software / communications development, venture capital, higher education, agriculture, medicine -- to name the top tier.

The programs you cite, while seemingly silly, are nothing. And wastefulness is always a good target for better management. Pension plans have become strongly skewed out of proportion and need some correction. Prison management needs some correction. Education needs some innovation. But California's current state is from the real estate based, national crash.
Nope! Sorry, Nully, but that's a myopic view. It began LONG before the latest downturn and has everything to do with pandering and bad governance. The bursting of the housing bubble was merely the cherry on top of the pile - a huge factor, yes. A single issue, no. Add in Proposition 13 and the initiative process (unfunded mandates and categorical spending) and you'll almost have a complete stew.

As one who worked in CA politics for 20 years I can assure you that if you want to find the disease, not just the symptoms, you have to follow the political dollars. Neither the Governor nor the Legislature are actively seeking the long-term cure. Smoke, mirrors and Kabuki will suffice, thank you.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:06 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,854,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Nope! Sorry, Nully, but that's a myopic view. It began LONG before the latest downturn and has everything to do with pandering and bad governance. The bursting of the housing bubble was merely the cherry on top of the pile - a huge factor, yes. A single issue, no. Add in Proposition 13 and the initiative process (unfunded mandates and categorical spending) and you'll almost have a complete stew.

As one who worked in CA politics for 20 years I can assure you that if you want to find the disease, not just the symptoms, you have to follow the political dollars. Neither the Governor nor the Legislature are actively seeking the long-term cure. Smoke, mirrors and Kabuki will suffice, thank you.
Perhaps I should clarify a little: I am not saying California hasn't been wasteful ... nor that the wastefulness isn't serious ... I'm saying that these pi**ant programs that people like Fargo are angry about don't add up to beans in the larger perspective ... furthermore, California was surviving its wastefulness because of a false economic boom ... and when that crashed, all came into disarray that is hell to pay.

California is a rich state still ... it will thrive again ... including foolishly.
As for 'politics' and 'disease' -- those two words in one sentence amount to a linguistic redundancy. Where / when has it ever been different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California