Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2012, 09:22 PM

253 posts, read 349,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Unfortunately spending per pupil is a poor predictor of school performance. So this data doesn't have much to do with education. Instead it is all about spending.

My apologies. Brevity is a necessity as I work alot...

That is my position. We spend enough... We need to demand better results...

This will not occur by giving teachers, and their union more...

Old 01-08-2012, 12:35 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post

All these other programs and 'boondoggles' added up together aren't a drop in the bucket to the magnitude of the problem.

The programs you cite, while seemingly silly, are nothing. And wastefulness is always a good target for better management.
I think you might want to look at the broader picture since you claim pension reform. California’s government does not know the meaning of downsizing or better management. When public money is going out to fix a private personal problem we have to look the public employees behind it.

I wonder how many Bureau of Automotive Repair and California Air Resources Board employees we could fire if we weren’t paying private citizens to repair or junk their cars. Someone has to do the admin work and write the checks. Most people don’t even bother to look at their registration cards to see where the money is going.

If you car does not pass smog you don’t get tags anyways. It sounds like it works itself out naturally IMO.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:57 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I think you might want to look at the broader picture since you claim pension reform. California’s government does not know the meaning of downsizing or better management. When public money is going out to fix a private personal problem we have to look the public employees behind it.

I wonder how many Bureau of Automotive Repair and California Air Resources Board employees we could fire if we weren’t paying private citizens to repair or junk their cars. Someone has to do the admin work and write the checks. Most people don’t even bother to look at their registration cards to see where the money is going.

If you car does not pass smog you don’t get tags anyways. It sounds like it works itself out naturally IMO.
You miss my point. Whether the program is silly or not ... whether the program is a waste of money or not ... add up its costs ... compare them to the magnitude of the state's challenge ... not a blip on the radar. In your frustration at what you see as wasteful (maybe it is, maybe not) you are allowing yourself to focus on peanuts and not the elephant that ate them. Programs such as you cite are not the cause of California's current fiscal challenge. The state could afford such programs, wasteful, or sensible, or whatever back when everyone was on a roll. Then the roll rolled over ..... Oooops. It was the real estate bubble that caused the whole thing to collapse. However stupid the state was with various programs, the economy was generating sufficient revenue to cover everything. Now it is not. And auto emissions programs aren't the reason.

I am suggesting that you focus on the biggest issues / expenses first. You'll never straighten out the state's budget by hacking away at a handful of rotten peanuts. The elephant is eating those peanuts faster than you can analyze the rot. Deal with the elephant.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post

I am suggesting that you focus on the biggest issues / expenses first. You'll never straighten out the state's budget by hacking away at a handful of rotten peanuts. The elephant is eating those peanuts faster than you can analyze the rot. Deal with the elephant.
The problem is Sacramento does not want to shoot any of its elephants. It expects cities, counties and citizens in this circus to keep punting up more peanuts. It’s time to start going after the peanuts and I don’t care how many are in the bag.

Then again the last time I looked the CARB budget is now over a half a billion dollars, not bad for an organization that generates nothing, but regulation.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:56 AM

457 posts, read 756,664 times
Nice right wing talking points. But you guys do realize that California has one of LEANEST government workforce in the country. And even within that most of the workforce is employed the UC and CSU systems.

To understand CA's budget problems, you have to understand the CAs dependence on volatile revenue streams - income taxes and capital gains. Almost all other states depend upon property taxes, sales taxes and corporate taxes for their budget. CA's budget make-up has a disproportionate dependency on income taxes and capital gains that are very volatile during economic downturns.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:05 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,850 times
What else would you expect from "Governor Moonbeam"?

Old 01-08-2012, 04:20 AM

457 posts, read 756,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaki View Post
What else would you expect from "Governor Moonbeam"?
Not sure why the hatred towards "Governor Moonbeam". He has delivered more in 1 year than governor body-builder in two terms. The CA budget problem has been very well addressed with deficits projected to be around $9 B from 26 B last year. I am also betting on additional revenue due to the economic recovery next year significantly addressing budget problems..

Old 01-08-2012, 08:29 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
To understand CA's budget problems, you have to understand the CAs dependence on volatile revenue streams - income taxes and capital gains. Almost all other states depend upon property taxes, sales taxes and corporate taxes for their budget. CA's budget make-up has a disproportionate dependency on income taxes and capital gains that are very volatile during economic downturns.
I agree with this. But the legislature compounds the problem by over-spending during the good years. And the spending seems to involve multi-year programs that commit spending, even during lean revenue years.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
Nice right wing talking points. But you guys do realize that California has one of LEANEST government workforce in the country.
A lot of people like to say that California has the leanest government per capita, but when the per capita is broken down we’re really not the leanest. There are a lot of dregs that are just here for the free coffee and doughnuts. They’re not paying much into the way to support government.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-24-2012 at 07:34 AM..

Old 01-08-2012, 04:36 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
A lot of people like to say that California has the leanest government per capita, but when the per capita is broken down we’re really not the leanest. There are a lot of dregs that are just here for the free coffee and doughnuts. They’re not paying much into the way to support government.

States have to pay the costs of illegal immigration but they can't do anything about it.

Last edited by Yac; 01-24-2012 at 07:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California