Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 07:52 PM

32 posts, read 57,195 times

Advertisements

Hi! My name Is Monica and Im from Stockholm, Sweden. Im going to the US in august as an exchange student. I will go to high school.
My dream Is to live in Cali and i will do what ever it takes to get there.. The swedish organisations are nothing to have cause they will just put me in Texas or something..

So im wonderring if there is anyone who see's this who might know someone who could help me find a host family?

Best regards, Monica. MOD CUT (please use Direct Message process for contact, instead of providing e-mail)

Last edited by NewToCA; 01-09-2012 at 09:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 08:09 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,835,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonicaFr View Post
Hi! My name Is Monica and Im from Stockholm, Sweden. Im going to the US in august as an exchange student. I will go to high school.
My dream Is to live in Cali and i will do what ever it takes to get there.. The swedish organisations are nothing to have cause they will just put me in Texas or something..

So im wonderring if there is anyone who see's this who might know someone who could help me find a host family?

Best regards, Monica.
I don't think this is a wise approach.
You don't know who / what kind of creep may respond to you.
The regular posters and the people who come to ask questions about California are cool for the most part but you have no idea of how many people peruse these sites and who they are.
It's actually potentially dangerous.
And much of California (drop the "cali"!) is not what you are imagining.
Much of it isn't any better than Texas actually.
Stick with the organization.
At least they'll keep you safe.
If you're dream is to live in California, you can figure out how to do that when you're older and on your own.
Don't be stupid.
The U.S. isn't like Sweden and there are a lot of crazy, desperate and destructive people who would love to take advantage of your naivete and your desperation to be in California.
Be careful.

Last edited by NewToCA; 01-09-2012 at 09:16 PM..

Old 01-09-2012, 08:25 PM

32 posts, read 57,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
I don't think this is a wise approach.
You don't know who / what kind of creep may respond to you.
The regular posters and the people who come to ask questions about California are cool for the most part but you have no idea of how many people peruse these sites and who they are.
It's actually potentially dangerous.
And much of California (drop the "cali"!) is not what you are imagining.
Much of it isn't any better than Texas actually.
Stick with the organization.
At least they'll keep you safe.
If you're dream is to live in California, you can figure out how to do that when you're older and on your own.
Don't be stupid.
The U.S. isn't like Sweden and there are a lot of crazy, desperate and destructive people who would love to take advantage of your naivete and your desperation to be in California.
Be careful.
Yes youre actually right. thank you for the warning.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonicaFr View Post
Yes youre actually right. thank you for the warning.
And who knows, they may just place you in California.
Hopefully, if they do, it'll be in a most wonderful part of it.
Good luck.
Start wishing on that star every night.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:57 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,320,281 times
Participation levels in exchange programs often dictate locations of placement.

Many families in CA can barely afford taking care of their own kids - this is an expensive place with a very poor level of wealth generation for the majority of the people.

That is why you are being placed in another state - the families there have more disposable income and can afford extra persons in their homes.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:42 AM

22 posts, read 36,848 times
You should first concentrate on finding a good host family and being able to live in a safe environment irregardless of what state you land in. You can then use it as a stable place to plan your occasional trips to California to check us out.

I doubt that dream of yours is calling you to a small depressed ex-logging town in Siskiyou County. I'll more than bet that what's calling you is Hollywood and Vine. Please do your research. After the first couple of weeks the glitter starts wearing-off really fast.

BTW...It's California not Cali. The ones that started that were the retarded rappers. I'm a native and I get screamed at for saying Frisco.

You said you were from Sweden. I hope you look like Elin Nordegren. Blondes have been getting pretty scarce around here lately.

Good luck.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:54 AM

and by the way, there is no such word as irregardless.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:58 AM

22 posts, read 36,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
and by the way, there is no such word as irregardless.
Dear Mr. Wordsmith,

It's a word, it's just not a proper word. I should have used the word regardless.

Thank you. Although this forum doesn't need anymore heroes.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That's Amazing View Post
Dear Mr. Wordsmith,

It's a word, it's just not a proper word. I should have used the word regardless.

Thank you. Although this forum doesn't need anymore heroes.
Irregardless - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Remember when Mel Gibson was cool?
We Don't Need Another Hero ... Mad Max

Old 01-10-2012, 02:05 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,563,976 times
You know if this were a different time and place I'd expound on how the beginning of this thread reminds me of a scene from The Enforcer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California