Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 01:21 AM

5 posts, read 6,485 times

Advertisements

I'm 19, currently on my 2nd year in college here in Georgia. I'm looking to put some money away and move out West during the Summer.

Backstory: I'm not on a "the grass is probably greener elsewhere" kick, even though I admit I can't stand where I'm at. I'm just looking to move out since I chose to live with my dad in order to cut back on campus living costs. I figured if I'm going to move out I may as well leave and try a new location.

I'd like to know where in Southern California is most suitable for a college student out on his/her own. I'm mindful that I'll have to be accepted into a school first, but I think I have that covered.

The whole thing is just weighing on my mind; this is something I know I want to do and it'll be one of the most challenging things I've ever gone through. I've tossed out the idea over the years to my parents and I can tell they aren't confident that I'll even get passed the planning stages.

Any advice you may have on relocating, living, and existing in Southern California would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 07:52 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Advice? Don't!

Old 01-10-2012, 09:58 AM

5 posts, read 6,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Advice? Don't!
May I ask why not?

Old 01-10-2012, 10:43 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,849,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Tha_Hero View Post
May I ask why not?
Ignore that kind of statement.
There are nay-sayers on the California forum.
Are you attached to Southern California and, if so, why?
I only ask because there are a couple of options that are not in SoCal and you may be limiting your options.
I'm more familiar with and much prefer the central coast.
Check out UCSC in Santa Cruz and Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo.
Both are on the central coast and both are great towns.
If you're stuck on SoCal, i can't be of much help.

Cal Poly - Welcome to California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, California

University of California, Santa Cruz

Old 01-10-2012, 10:43 AM

Many reasons, chief among them for you right now being cost. Beyond that, culture shock, unemployment and the fact that reality is a far cry from movie and television portrayals.

Finish your education, find a job and then move. And by the way, I am a native.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Ignore that kind of statement.
There are nay-sayers on the California forum.
Read on, MacDuff. Or are you the only poster to whom he should pay heed and drink the kool-aid with?

Old 01-10-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Many reasons, chief among them for you right now being cost. Beyond that, culture shock, unemployment and the fact that reality is a far cry from movie and television portrayals.

Finish your education, find a job and then move. And by the way, I am a native.
If he can afford the cost and isn't deluded about California, then it's perfectly reasonable that he wants to go to school on the west coast.
Culture shock? Not a good reason especially for someone so young.
Unemployment? He just wants to go to school for pete's sake.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Read on, MacDuff. Or are you the only poster to whom he should pay heed and drink the kool-aid with?
I support people's dreams and try to share with them any little thing that i may know while at the same time sharing some common sense stuff.
I don't just dismiss people due to my own attitudes and beliefs.
I try to live by the golden rule.
If i were asking a question on another forum and i got a response like yours, i wouldn't appreciate it very much.
To just say, "Don't" is lame and not helpful.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:53 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Tha_Hero View Post
I'm 19, currently on my 2nd year in college here in Georgia. I'm looking to put some money away and move out West during the Summer.

Backstory: I'm not on a "the grass is probably greener elsewhere" kick, even though I admit I can't stand where I'm at. I'm just looking to move out since I chose to live with my dad in order to cut back on campus living costs. I figured if I'm going to move out I may as well leave and try a new location.

I'd like to know where in Southern California is most suitable for a college student out on his/her own. I'm mindful that I'll have to be accepted into a school first, but I think I have that covered.

Any advice you may have on relocating, living, and existing in Southern California would be appreciated.
Mike: Don't listen to the overly negative people on this board. You have every right to follow YOUR DESIRES.

Having said that, you shoud prepare yourself for the sticker shock of HIGHER housing costs, etc. Of course, that is what you are doing by coming here. So congrats to you on that front.

I think one thing you need to think about FIRST is what school (or schools) will suit your interests. If you are undecided in terms of major you should still think about what school you want to go to (for possible majors, location, etc).

Do you have any idea what school(s) you are going to apply to? That will help us give you more detailed, specific suggestions about cost of living, etc.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:02 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,376,539 times
Personally I think college is a great time to try living in a new city or state - and millions of college students do exactly that every year. Going to school means you've got easy access to places to live, and if you qualify, financial aid to help with living expenses. I can't think of another time in life when it's easier to experience living in a new place. And it's all based on the semester or quarter system, so if you hate the new place, you can move back home easily when the semester/quarter ends!

That said, if you come to California for school, be prepared to pay out-of-state tuition. And it's expensive! Before you spend much time researching majors, or cities, or how to relocate, I would check out how much that out-of-state tuition will cost you. The extra cost used to be minimal, and could be avoided entirely by spending a year in California first, before starting school - but the rules are much stricter now, and there's no easy way around paying it. I have a cousin, who grew up in another state, and she's now back in California for school, and will have to pay the out-of-state tuition for her entire four years of college. The rules are strict!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California