Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 04:21 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,402,808 times

Advertisements

There really should be some kind of incentive to get people to take their vacation time though, for their own sake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 04:26 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,833,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
Yeah ok, and their contracts are fair for the tax payers how? Should they get whatever they want as long as it's written in their contracts? How about if their contracts were written to allow 200 paid vacation days a year and annual raises of 40%, hey as long as it's in the contracts that should be just a okay right?
44 years ago I took multiple damage in Vietnam ... now the government pays me substantial compensation monthly for life, as per the terms of my service contract ... the various states I live in as I wander also provide me various benefits -- including California.

As it turns out, Vietnam was a particularly stupid war (just like Iraq) ... didn't do a positive thing for California or the good old U.S. of A.

Should I return my checks every month?

Old 01-10-2012, 04:35 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,458,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
What cops make $139k base salary? Are you talking about chiefs?

And since when is a private security offer anything like a cop? You know, if cops have it so good maybe the guards should apply for police jobs. Maybe you should switch careers yourself.
They would never make it thru the tough hiring standards and the basic academy. That is why they are security officers and people like me are cops.
There is a difference between a career and a job.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:37 PM

50,056 posts, read 46,553,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Aside from the argument of whether California pensions are out of line with contemporary economic realities -- I would point out that running a personal family budget, running a business, and running a government ARE not the same thing ... each has many different strategies, goals, pitfalls, opportunities, mandates, priorities and responsibilities. None of the three should be run as either of the other.
Yep

Especially stock piling a debt that at some point may go unfunded because City, State or Private mgmt might find a way to fund some project with it Leaving the rightful recipients holding the brown bag of bovine apples.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:01 PM

876 posts, read 1,791,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
What cops make $139k base salary? Are you talking about chiefs?

And since when is a private security offer anything like a cop? You know, if cops have it so good maybe the guards should apply for police jobs. Maybe you should switch careers yourself.
The officer in the story (different source) has a base pension of $139k.

"Hannah's lump sum payout was made in addition to her $139,600 annual pension."

Retiring L.A. County workers get $48 million for unused time off - latimes.com

And what else would you compare a cop to, a lawyer? And as far as getting hired as an officer these days tens of thousands of people do apply for these jobs so it's not like agencies are having a hard time finding applicants.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:05 PM

9,894 posts, read 21,924,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dober1 View Post
They would never make it thru the tough hiring standards and the basic academy. That is why they are security officers and people like me are cops.
Lots of cops are also dirty & power hungry. Look at fullerton, long beach, burbank, oakland, los angeles city & county, etc. The police themselves should be policed. What happened in fullerton was discusting & even the DA was in on hiding it until it became public.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:06 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,833,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Yep

Especially stock piling a debt that at some point may go unfunded because City, State or Private mgmt might find a way to fund some project with it Leaving the rightful recipients holding the brown bag of bovine apples.
There is no end to deviousness in families, businesses, or government

Old 01-10-2012, 05:12 PM

876 posts, read 1,791,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dober1 View Post
Tough hiring standards? You mean like affirmative action quotas?

Old 01-10-2012, 05:15 PM

9,894 posts, read 21,924,286 times
The female cop (Hannah Montana) who retired in 2010 was a lt. in the L.A. county sheriffs office. Her base salary was $139,000 a year. I dont know what her pension is though. Her vacation pay for 30 yrs service was over 180k. Im still amazed that she didnt take a vacation her entire career. Maybe she was "sleeping" with the boss or bosses. I dont know her age but im sure shes still relatively young (early 50s).

Old 01-10-2012, 05:28 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,402,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
The officer in the story (different source) has a base pension of $139k.

"Hannah's lump sum payout was made in addition to her $139,600 annual pension."

Retiring L.A. County workers get $48 million for unused time off - latimes.com

And what else would you compare a cop to, a lawyer? And as far as getting hired as an officer these days tens of thousands of people do apply for these jobs so it's not like agencies are having a hard time finding applicants.
How many people did she manage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California