Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 08:14 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,041,227 times

Advertisements

^^I agree with your rant nullgeo. I think that hard cold overzealousness that cops have on the hard stuff often translates on the service side as well, but I think they are taught this behavior. I had a niece get into a single car accident, and the responding officer treated us like it was a criminal situation. Those are the times that they should be doing the "protect & serve" part by good public relations.

I dont think anyone is mad at cops, and I dont know that anything should be take away that is lawfully a part of an employment contract. Unless the unions see fit to throw the citizens a bone and back off slightly so these departments can continue to operate and hire new people. Ive seen too many examples where the unions will not budge, to the detriment of the cities. They'll accept less officers so the existing ones keep their benes...

New contracts need to be adjusted. No rollovers on sick time. Capped vacation time build up. My buddy in CHP has an obscene amount of vacation time. He took a month off last May/June came home for a week then went to Boy Scout camp with his son. You think thats it for the year, nope, full week at Thanksgiving, week and a half at Christmas, plus other single days here and there. His superiors tell him to take off every other Monday just so it doesnt accrue too quickly. It is obscene. In the private sector it would cripple companies. In small business it would put you out of business. Its not sustainable, and it makes these people feel entitled very quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 10:34 AM

9,894 posts, read 21,924,286 times
Retired cop Hananna montana has a yearly pension of $139,000.00. Thats BS esp since its the tax payers money. She can surely buy alot of donuts with that dough or open up a bakery.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:56 AM

258 posts, read 612,402 times
One more reason why Kalifornia is BROKE.

I bet Arnold supported his Mexican mistress in Bakersfield with all your Tax Money.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:58 AM

852 posts, read 787,741 times
There sure is a lot of vitriol directed at public sector employees in this thread and others like it on CD. What it comes down to is this. Each and every one of us made a decision to persue a certain line of work or employer. If you chose to go into the private sector, great, good for you. But don't hate on those that chose the public sector as you could have done the same thing.

Seems to me, hating on others for what they get, is pure jealousy.

I chose to spend 20+ years of my life in service to my country. I then chose to be a public sector employee. I traded a smaller salary for better benefits and a pension. Those were choices I made. I don't hate my peers that chose to go into the private sector after college and now make 10 times what I do. More power to them.

So, if you chose to go into the private sector and didn't get what you bargained for, sorry, that is a choice YOU made.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:33 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,833,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Retired cop Hananna montana has a yearly pension of $139,000.00. Thats BS esp since its the tax payers money. She can surely buy alot of donuts with that dough or open up a bakery.
I posed this question before ... still not one answer:
44 years ago I entered into a contract of service with Uncle Sam ... I didn't work at the job very long, just a few years ... and, as it turns out, the project I was hired for was an actual detriment to our country: very costly in lives and dollars. My contract stipulated a number of benefits would be paid under various scenarios. One of those scenarios was I took multiple incidents of damage -- which Uncle had said in advance he would pay for should that happen. So I was medically discharged and given monthly compensation payments and free medical for life and a bazillion other little nifty freebie benefits that cost the taxpayers way beyond the stupid war. Those checks and benefits are draining our nation now.

Do you think I should return my checks every month and forgo medical and other benefits since it turns out the contract I was hired under, though I did my job as asked, was fruitless?

Does Hanna Montana have any obligation to turn down her pension, all or in part, after her 20 years of fruitful service under contract?

Old 01-11-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
I posed this question before ... still not one answer:
44 years ago I entered into a contract of service with Uncle Sam ... I didn't work at the job very long, just a few years ... and, as it turns out, the project I was hired for was an actual detriment to our country: very costly in lives and dollars. My contract stipulated a number of benefits would be paid under various scenarios. One of those scenarios was I took multiple incidents of damage -- which Uncle had said in advance he would pay for should that happen. So I was medically discharged and given monthly compensation payments and free medical for life and a bazillion other little nifty freebie benefits that cost the taxpayers way beyond the stupid war. Those checks and benefits are draining our nation now.

Do you think I should return my checks every month and forgo medical and other benefits since it turns out the contract I was hired under, though I did my job as asked, was fruitless?

Does Hanna Montana have any obligation to turn down her pension, all or in part, after her 20 years of fruitful service under contract?
No and No. Each of you fulfilled your part of the contract and as such, should be compensated in accordance with said contract.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
No and No. Each of you fulfilled your part of the contract and as such, should be compensated in accordance with said contract.
Well, thanks for clearing that up ... now I believe I'll go grocery shopping

Old 01-11-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Well, thanks for clearing that up ... now I believe I'll go grocery shopping
Glad I could be of service, but then I am one of those hated public servants...

Old 01-11-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Glad I could be of service, but then I am one of those hated public servants...
!! I should have known !! Feeling the entitlement to give away America's treasury ... tsk.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:52 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,041,227 times
Quote:

I dont disagree....at all. Nullgeo, even you! (enjoy those groceries) However, I do think it needs to change for new hires, you cant deny the budget and hiring issues much of this has created. Short sighted politicians allowed it during boom times, and now we pay for it. Alot of people were riding high during the boom, but its over for them too. The economy is correcting those industries, and government employees are no different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California