Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 04:21 AM

876 posts, read 1,791,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
There sure is a lot of vitriol directed at public sector employees in this thread and others like it on CD. What it comes down to is this. Each and every one of us made a decision to persue a certain line of work or employer. If you chose to go into the private sector, great, good for you. But don't hate on those that chose the public sector as you could have done the same thing.

Seems to me, hating on others for what they get, is pure jealousy.

I chose to spend 20+ years of my life in service to my country. I then chose to be a public sector employee. I traded a smaller salary for better benefits and a pension. Those were choices I made. I don't hate my peers that chose to go into the private sector after college and now make 10 times what I do. More power to them.

So, if you chose to go into the private sector and didn't get what you bargained for, sorry, that is a choice YOU made.
Jealousy, really? I here this argument from overpaid government employees a lot but the fact of the matter is, I couldn't care less what you make in pay and benefits if you were working in the private sector. And that would be due to the fact that I'm not paying it! All the money spent on huge pensions could go to other services like fixing roads, infrastructure, schools etc. I don't pay taxes so people like Lt.Hannah can take 3 trips to Hawaii a year and go golfing everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 10:31 AM

9,894 posts, read 21,928,172 times
Im not saying hanna montana doesnt deserve a pension + full benefits but not $139k a year. Thats absurb. Next time you see a CHP having lunch tell him a thank you is in order. They receive $4,000.00 + a year in compensation for lunch. They should pay for their own lunch like the rest of us. Also a prison guard in ca (even a rookie) receives 8 weeks paid vacation per year. No wonder ca is broke & they are wanting to raise taxes, fees & cut vital services to the poor, disabled & seniors. They sure wont cut the illegals services. God forbid if that should happen. Veterans of this country deserve the best. I respect them alot more then i do cops, firemen, politicians, etc. They fought, protected & many died for our country + they arent greedy. Military pay is nothing compared to many public sector jobs.

Last edited by steel7; 01-12-2012 at 11:44 AM..

Old 01-12-2012, 10:39 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,399,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
I posed this question before ... still not one answer:
44 years ago I entered into a contract of service with Uncle Sam ... I didn't work at the job very long, just a few years ... and, as it turns out, the project I was hired for was an actual detriment to our country: very costly in lives and dollars. My contract stipulated a number of benefits would be paid under various scenarios. One of those scenarios was I took multiple incidents of damage -- which Uncle had said in advance he would pay for should that happen. So I was medically discharged and given monthly compensation payments and free medical for life and a bazillion other little nifty freebie benefits that cost the taxpayers way beyond the stupid war. Those checks and benefits are draining our nation now.

Do you think I should return my checks every month and forgo medical and other benefits since it turns out the contract I was hired under, though I did my job as asked, was fruitless?

Does Hanna Montana have any obligation to turn down her pension, all or in part, after her 20 years of fruitful service under contract?
No one answered you because your post is irrelevant to the topic and outside the context of the discussion.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:09 AM

1,626 posts, read 3,993,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
No public employee (PUBLIC SERVANT) deserves a $139k annual pension. Thats includes ALL cops, firemen, teachers, politicians, etc. Hannah montana (LT. MARIE HANNAH) makes me sick.
Totally agree, these politicians should be ashamed of agreeing to these lavish pensions. I don't care if you are the chief of police, no public employee deserves a six figure pension. It's absolutely disgusting how much these pension obligations are overwhelming local government budgets. While we're at it, public employees shouldn't be able to begin drawing their pension (for life!) at the age of 50 either.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:09 AM

50,058 posts, read 46,570,390 times
Quote:
So, should I return my check as well?
Hanna put in more time on her job earning her pension than I did. And her work was actual public service.
Certainly my few years fighting in a useless, counterproductive war had less value than Hanna's work.
So, what about it, steel? Should I return my compensation payments and stop using all my other veteran's benefits?
I'd like to thank you personally for all of the footage on the military ch I watch while working out in the morning.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:32 AM

852 posts, read 787,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
Jealousy, really? I here this argument from overpaid government employees a lot but the fact of the matter is, I couldn't care less what you make in pay and benefits if you were working in the private sector. And that would be due to the fact that I'm not paying it! All the money spent on huge pensions could go to other services like fixing roads, infrastructure, schools etc. I don't pay taxes so people like Lt.Hannah can take 3 trips to Hawaii a year and go golfing everyday.
Ok..so what's your solution? How much do you think someone working in the public sector should make? Are some of these pensions out of whack? You bet they are, but Lt Hannah didn't make the rules, she just used them to her advantage.

If everyone thinks that being a government employee is a great and wonderful thing with unlimited salaries and benefits, then get out there and get one of those jobs. But I think you will find that most don't pay anything like these "selected" examples and the work is pretty much thankless.

You couldn't pay me enough to be a law enforcement officer, risking everything every day for most folks that don't appreciate it. And I spent 20+ years in the military. At least in the Army, I knew who my enemies were...

Old 01-12-2012, 11:35 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,837,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
The point is we shouldn't allow anymore of these contracts in the form of enormous pensions from here on out because it's not economically sustainable, how's that for an answer?
That is a fair answer. And exactly supports my points:
Learn from the past.
And vilification of those who have earned their pensions under terms freely entered into in the past is dishonorable and churlish.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:41 AM

852 posts, read 787,883 times
Quote:
That is a fair answer. And exactly supports my points:
Learn from the past.
And vilification of those who have earned their pensions under terms freely entered into in the past is dishonorable and churlish.
Agree on both points..

Old 01-12-2012, 11:49 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,837,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
So where would the problem be? If a private corporation allows for that fine, but it's just plain criminal for average working people to have to sacrifice their futures for someone's gold-plated pension.
Again, you are suggesting that pensions be cut off after careers were entered into and performed under agreed terms?

As for this idea that whatever goes in a private corporation is fine -- but not in the public sector: do you really think that the public doesn't end up paying for corporate pensions and greed and excess through market products and services, and market manipulations and influences? Everything that gets paid, public or private, gets paid from revenues of one kind or another. Folks love to jump up and down about taxes while paying 18% interest on their credit cards for buying overpriced, expendable, throw-away "stuff". That crap in your garage is worth your paycheck, but the protection of a police force is "out of line" with reality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
No one answered you because your post is irrelevant to the topic and outside the context of the discussion.
My post isn't in the slightest irrelevant or outside the context of the discussion. If you haven't the basic mentality to see that, perhaps you shouldn't engage outside your mental capacities.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:52 AM

9,894 posts, read 21,928,172 times
The city manager (ray casey) in yucaipa received a 30k a yr raise last year to boost his salary to $193,000. Hes as worthless as they come but the citizens of yucaipa continue to vote for city leaders who give these absurb pay raises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California