U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-10-2012, 09:33 AM
 
4 posts, read 11,733 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

I am looking for information about CC. I have been everywhere on the net, I know my way around from google earth, although it is a little dated. I am a liscensed cosmetologist and have had an in-home daycare for 20 years, my husband is a mechanic by trade but can do almost anything. I want to leave Iowa on June 1, 2012. We need jobs, a place to live, we have three children at home and whether we should sell everything or bring it along We love used, 2nd hand, consignment shopping, so a brand new fresh start is an option. Thank you for any new feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-10-2012, 11:03 AM
 
Location: San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties
6,390 posts, read 7,653,690 times
Reputation: 2622
A great place if you have allergies, pretty allergen free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2012, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
2,190 posts, read 5,942,409 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by lissapooh2 View Post
I am looking for information about CC. I have been everywhere on the net, I know my way around from google earth, although it is a little dated. I am a liscensed cosmetologist and have had an in-home daycare for 20 years, my husband is a mechanic by trade but can do almost anything. I want to leave Iowa on June 1, 2012. We need jobs, a place to live, we have three children at home and whether we should sell everything or bring it along We love used, 2nd hand, consignment shopping, so a brand new fresh start is an option. Thank you for any new feedback
just curious but why Crescent City?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2012, 11:26 AM
 
4 posts, read 11,733 times
Reputation: 12
Funny, I have severe allergies. So, that's a plus Wanted cool, rainy, ocean, forest, small community in a different part of the USA. Not too sure about being in a prison community; but here is all meat packing plants. That brings in colorful citizens. Any feedback about current jobs, housing etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2012, 11:35 AM
 
Location: The High Seas
7,379 posts, read 13,337,747 times
Reputation: 11697
Cretin City has an "after-the-thermonuclear-blast" look to it. Have a look at Brookings, OR just across the border. It has a nicer vibe to it.
If you want to stay in CA, have a look at Eureka and Arcata.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2012, 11:49 AM
 
Location: Eureka CA
8,239 posts, read 11,102,038 times
Reputation: 12552
Have you done ANY research at all? The economic situation up there is so bad the daily paper The Triplicate) now only publishes three days a week. The unemployment rate in Del Norte County is almost 13%. In Iowa it's 5 or 6%. And you have three kids to support? What are you thinking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2012, 11:52 AM
 
7,150 posts, read 8,795,966 times
Reputation: 3806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Cretin City has an "after-the-thermonuclear-blast" look to it. Have a look at Brookings, OR just across the border. It has a nicer vibe to it.
If you want to stay in CA, have a look at Eureka and Arcata.
There you go again, Snort ... blasting CC ... I, for one, am damn tired of it ... where's the compassion? Poor CC folks are getting a complex. I would laugh if you ever needed to take one of the high-paying jobs there. Rude. One attack after another. Many CC residents are happy as clams at high tide:



The place is a social bonanza!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2012, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
2,190 posts, read 5,942,409 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by lissapooh2 View Post
Funny, I have severe allergies. So, that's a plus Wanted cool, rainy, ocean, forest, small community in a different part of the USA. Not too sure about being in a prison community; but here is all meat packing plants. That brings in colorful citizens. Any feedback about current jobs, housing etc?
If you want cool, rainy, ocean and forest i wouldn't limit yourself to California.
Oregon and Washington are two other states to consider.
You could post on both or those state's forums to gather more info about communities along the northwestern coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2012, 12:03 PM
 
7,150 posts, read 8,795,966 times
Reputation: 3806
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
If you want cool, rainy, ocean and forest i wouldn't limit yourself to California.
Oregon and Washington are two other states to consider.
You could post on both or those state's forums to gather more info about communities along the northwestern coast.
Oregon's got no more work than California these days. Washington is a bit better off. But remote coastal communities in any of the three aren't likely prospects for earning a living. OP might find some work around the Puget Sound area of Washington, though. That is my home base, not far from Bellingham and Mt. Vernon up near the Canadian border. Very nice towns, both ... Anacortes as well. Not on a hiring spree, but there is work to be found here and there. Crescent City and Oregon coast are a little warmer -- but a lot more depressed at this time. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2012, 12:07 PM
 
Location: The High Seas
7,379 posts, read 13,337,747 times
Reputation: 11697
In the interest of accentuating the positive regarding Cretin City and building the residents' self-esteem, I'll announce at the Ladies Social Club there how much I appreciate their lovely clams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top