Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 09:01 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,136,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
You're starting off on the assumption that the government does it better. What if they were left to their own devices and created an economic atmosphere rivaled by many large metropolitan areas. You're assuming they would just "cut down all the forests" just because. What if, thanks to low taxes and regulations coupled with innovation, they figured out how to cut the time it takes to grow a tree in half. Or they figure out a new way to build houses with no wood. Government does most things wrong, and that's where most "Jeffersonians" are coming from.

What use plastic.....

Wood is wonderful! If managed correctly it is a totally renewable resource.. Also it is in the active carbon chain.. So by using wood in homes you are locking up carbon and lowering Co2 in the atmosphere... Buy burning wood for heat you are no releasing any more Co2 than if that log rotted on the forest floor..

Using forestry products and growing forests is as green as one can get... Stop using plastic products use paper! Heat with wood not coal, gas, oil..

We have no shortage of wood, the problem is the price is too low for wood.. Again a reason to restrict inflow into the market to allow prices to rebound. So small/mid scale local loggers and forestry related companies to come back in to the market..

Get the multi national corps out of forestry....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 09:26 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,777,101 times
Yeah, let's leave the fate of the old growth redwoods to unregulated capitalism. That'll work.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:38 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,842,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
Fill em up with psychobabble and then booze. What could possibly go wrong?

LMfAO ... indeed ... (sorry, rep button is frozen apparently )

Old 01-11-2012, 11:41 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,842,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Hello???
Low taxes and regulations in the same sentance is an oxymoron.....
How do you think regulations are enforced??? Via taxes....

So help me out here... Is some one like Ron Paul the "ideal" politician to "Jeffersonians"?

On Regulation:
IMO we tried no regulations... Pre 1970, we are still cleaning up poisoned communities toxic waste dumps and so forth..

We also tried deregulation of the banking system.... Look what got us... The housing bubble, and the 08 crash, recession which we have not recovered from globally to this day!!!

Their was no regulation when 90% of our nations forest were cut down... A 100 years later they still have not recovered.. Clear cut old growth on poor, erosion prone soils and it may take 1000 years to recover if ever.. How's that for local economic growth..

We know how to make quality trees grow fast... It is called forest management and selective logging... The reason the region's economy collapsed is not because of environmentalists stopping logging, but because greedy profit today rape and pillage corporations cut too much using poor methods..

I am disgusted and disappointed in our political system too.. I very much want to see change..It is my opinion that "jeffersonian" anger should be directed at the greedy manipulative corporations that control our politicians.. NOT at the safety mechanisms such as the EPA which are designed to protect the citizenry from these corporations, ..
Quote:
What use plastic.....

Wood is wonderful! If managed correctly it is a totally renewable resource.. Also it is in the active carbon chain.. So by using wood in homes you are locking up carbon and lowering Co2 in the atmosphere... Buy burning wood for heat you are no releasing any more Co2 than if that log rotted on the forest floor..

Using forestry products and growing forests is as green as one can get... Stop using plastic products use paper! Heat with wood not coal, gas, oil..

We have no shortage of wood, the problem is the price is too low for wood.. Again a reason to restrict inflow into the market to allow prices to rebound. So small/mid scale local loggers and forestry related companies to come back in to the market..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Yeah, let's leave the fate of the old growth redwoods to unregulated capitalism. That'll work.
DANG rep button!
Anyways, keep it up guys ... great posts ...

Old 01-11-2012, 02:20 PM

852 posts, read 788,373 times
Quote:
What use plastic.....

Don't disagree with you at all on most of your premises, True. I would just point out that in most of Europe, who are far greener and ecologically minded than the average American, they don't use wood to build houses. They use stone and concrete.

Which creates a better sealed envelope thereby reducing the need for heat/AC, which means less "power" needed.

Having grown up int PNW, I abhor the way that the land and forests were treated in the 60/70's and am very glad for the "environazis"....

Old 01-11-2012, 02:52 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,632,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
Don't disagree with you at all on most of your premises, True. I would just point out that in most of Europe, who are far greener and ecologically minded than the average American, they don't use wood to build houses. They use stone and concrete.

Which creates a better sealed envelope thereby reducing the need for heat/AC, which means less "power" needed.

Having grown up int PNW, I abhor the way that the land and forests were treated in the 60/70's and am very glad for the "environazis"....
In Europe, it was long ago discovered that building wooden houses would deforest the continent. They care about their forests, consider that some forests in Germany have been logged for a thousand years, and are still there, and still healthy thriving forests.

Personally, I am done with wooden houses and wooden barns. The consequences of fatal fires is just terrible, I say this from my wooden house.... but the next one!

Old 01-11-2012, 03:01 PM

852 posts, read 788,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
In Europe, it was long ago discovered that building wooden houses would deforest the continent. They care about their forests, consider that some forests in Germany have been logged for a thousand years, and are still there, and still healthy thriving forests.

Personally, I am done with wooden houses and wooden barns. The consequences of fatal fires is just terrible, I say this from my wooden house.... but the next one!
+1

Old 01-11-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
I would just point out that in most of Europe, who are far greener and ecologically minded than the average American, they don't use wood to build houses. They use stone and concrete.
I'd hate to own a stone house here in earthquakeland USA. Concrete... I wonder how many $$$ are added to construction costs to make them bendy during a temblor.

Stick-built homes are generally the safest when the earth is quaking.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:46 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,136,846 times
Well get your drawknife, chisel, scribe and chainsaw out... Full scribe Swedish cope log construction that's the ticket!...

airtight, great thermal mass, stays cool in summer and warm in winter, does not catch fire easily, and I strongly suspect it is impervious to earthquakes or anything else mother earth can throw at it..

Now that is a wood house.. Scandinavian style.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:50 PM

I'm already in a wooden house, tank you veddy mush. And it's held up to the tectonic rocking and rolling since 1943.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California