Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 12:08 AM

1,664 posts, read 3,945,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I like Frank.. Going to Montana soon, etc.

San Luis Obispo has one of the finest farmers markets in the country, it is the place to be on Thursday night.. I have been to it once... But I do have acres and acres of Brussels sprouts, Bok Choy and Napa out front.........
Where could i have the best vegetable garden? ON the Mesa or in the Arroyo Grande canyons east of 101?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 12:25 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,018,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
But I will say that, for someone so focused on the 'elevation of being' through the avoidance of laboring in dirt, you certainly haven't much command of spelling and grammar -- which, some people find to be a signifier of refinement. ....
Not only do you apparently simply skip proof-reading what you write for the simple mistakes we all can make in haste, but you make certain grammatical errors repetitively in all your posts.
I'm focused on what now? News to me... But grammar? Yeah...not too interested in refining my grammar...every time I think about doing it I find a topic that is, you know, interesting to learn about... But if you knew about language....you'd know what this was all about.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:23 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,643,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Where could i have the best vegetable garden? ON the Mesa or in the Arroyo Grande canyons east of 101?
The Valley itself has the most fertile soil. Cienaga Valley is the term for the lower valley below Hiway 1 and Oceano. Arroyo Grande Valley extends from there to the foot of Lopez dam.

The Mesa is just sand, very little soil. It is somewhat fertile, just look at how well the Eucs have done!

I am not sure what you mean by the "canyons east of 101" can you be more specific as to which canyons?

Old 01-11-2012, 07:29 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,643,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
The merchants.....and call me crazy but I wonder how well people handle food when they can't handle basic personal hygiene.

It hasn't, instead being able to get by in life without committing yourself to the "soil of honest labor" is a signifier of higher intelligence. Indeed, much of modern fashioned is based on this... Why do you think something as stupid as high heals are fashionable? Why do "professional" men wear pieces of fabric on their necks? In each case you'll find that the cloths make it difficult to do "the soil of honest labor".

Regardless, I'm just entertaining the thought, my comment had nothing to do with your rant at all. I just don't get the allure of buying overpriced produce from unwashed men.

What standard? Umm....where you can get it cheaper. They are selling the same mutated junk you can get from just about anywhere in California.

You don't need to go farmers markets to buy local produce, if something is in season and its grown in California than even the large grocery chains will (at least usually) source it locally.

Once again, you have no idea what you are talking about. I figure, that bothers you not at all. Your last sentence alone is mostly nonsense. Grocery stores buy in bulk at the lowest price they can get, if that means you live in the salad bowl of America, Salinas, and the supermarkets get a lower price for fresh produce from the Imperial Valley, that is where your produce will come from, despite what the supermarket tells you on their advertising.

Trucks full of produce leave our valley every day for the supermarkets of Los Angeles several hundred miles away, that is because, and this could be new information for you: very little produce is grown in Los Angeles.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:38 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,823,761 times
Ooooh! I found another fresh egg source not far from my palatial mansion. And a place to buy non-factory raised chickens. Oooh-rah!

Old 01-11-2012, 08:15 AM

50,116 posts, read 46,724,808 times
Quote:
Call Any Vegetable

Call any vegetable
Call it by name
Call one today
When you get off the train
Call any vegetable
And the chances are good
Aw,
The vegetable will respond to you
(Some people don't go for prunes...
I don't know,
I've always found that if they...)
Call any vegetable
Pick up your phone
Think of a vegetable
Lonely at home
Call any vegetable
And the chances are good
That a vegetable will respond to you
Rutabaga, Rutabaga, Rutabaga, Rutabaga, Rutabay-y-y-y...
(A prune isn't really a vegetable...
CABBAGE is a vegetable...)
No one will know
If you don't want to let them know
No one will know
'Less it's you that might tell them so
Call and they'll come to you
Covered with dew
Vegetables dream,
Of responding to you
Standing there shiny and proud by your side
Holding your hand while the neighbors decide
Why is a vegetable something to hide
(Frank Zappa)
I Sometimes don't like veggies talking to me.
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2012, 08:27 AM

50,116 posts, read 46,724,808 times
Quote:
The merchants.....and call me crazy but I wonder how well people handle food when they can't handle basic personal hygiene.

It hasn't, instead being able to get by in life without committing yourself to the "soil of honest labor" is a signifier of higher intelligence. Indeed, much of modern fashioned is based on this... Why do you think something as stupid as high heals are fashionable? Why do "professional" men wear pieces of fabric on their necks? In each case you'll find that the cloths make it difficult to do "the soil of honest labor".

Regardless, I'm just entertaining the thought, my comment had nothing to do with your rant at all. I just don't get the allure of buying overpriced produce from unwashed men.

What standard? Umm....where you can get it cheaper. They are selling the same mutated junk you can get from just about anywhere in California.

You don't need to go farmers markets to buy local produce, if something is in season and its grown in California than even the large grocery chains will (at least usually) source it locally.
Gotta be out of your mind to buy the same stuff for six times more at vons or ralphs.

read
Best places to get quality produce in San Diego?

Old 01-11-2012, 08:31 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,140,598 times
Quote:
For those interested in local farmer's markets and organic foods, here is a resource to locate same in your area ... just type in your zip code:
Search - LocalHarvest

Nice little site, for those that want to support small business, while getting quality, innovative products.......

It is refreshing to go through and read about the vendors, see and feel their passion for what they do... Sadly their are so few Americans who are passionate about what they do anymore....

I find myself fully entrenched in the Slow food/Local movement... I vote with my pocketbook, and support the cause as often as possible...

Sure it is about good healthy chemical/GMO free foods. But to me it is more "political" but not in a liberal or conservative sense, because you will find strong representation from both sides of the isle. But political, in the sense that small family owned business is disappearing in this country, and our country is unhealthy and fat from the highly processed, preserved, and pesticide/herbicide, fertilizer laced foods available to most people via big ag.

.. Want to create jobs for energetic entrepreneurs??... Then buy local from a small producer and support them!.

We as a nation have gone in the wrong direction, low paying jobs for big corporations, that have no benefits and nothing but a kick in the rear when they are done with you is eating our country alive... Small independently owned farms, stores, companies are what will save us!

Down with the multi national corporations... Down with chain stores...

Get behind small business... Support local with your pocketbook..

Old 01-11-2012, 08:41 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,140,598 times
Quote:
I've never understood the allure of Farmers markets.....a collection of unwashed resellers selling overpriced produce.

So your prefer to just not see how your food is produced?

Sort of an ignorance is bliss kind of thing??????????

One of the benefits of buying directly from a producer is you can get to know your food, how it is grown/raised, how it is harvested/slaughtered...

Yes small producers can and do have higher overhead.. If everything is just about money then yes some markets are overpriced... (Not all though, typically only in urban or affluent areas are they overpriced.)

I personally find I pay way less for higher quality products if you know where and when to go...

I will not even comment on the attempt to parallel "intelligence" and how one dresses. (Lots of us have busy schedules, and do not always have time to shower and change boots before leaving... See fresh harvested means FRESH, like that morning you are out picking before you head to the market.......)

Old 01-11-2012, 10:52 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,854,602 times
But but but but ... fellas! (TrueTimbers, .highnlite, 1Angry, Fontucky ...) But but but, user_id says ____________ (fill in blank with any argument) and user_id knows all about everything -- especially foods and especially produce foods ... because: he works at Ralph's and he wears a tie when he works (one of those little black clip-on plastic bow ties, perhaps?) ... and I'm guessing plastic gloves too ... all signs of a refined, evolved, highly intellectual being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California