Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 03:21 PM

12,460 posts, read 19,989,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Actually no ... below, your first and second posts ... it has gone on from there.
Except of course that my second post was a reply to your post. So, as I said, I just made a brief comment about farmers markets and you jumped all over it.

Quote:
you don't think that is a perfect description of what you do here?
No, I rarely talk about individuals here....I talk about ideas...

Anyhow...moving along...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 03:40 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,833,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Except of course that my second post was a reply to your post. So, as I said, I just made a brief comment about farmers markets and you jumped all over it.

No, I rarely talk about individuals here....I talk about ideas...

Anyhow...moving along...
Nonsense, as always ... your first post attacked the hygiene and economics which was a deliberate attempt on your part, as always, to initiate reactive argument tangential to the topic ... my response questioned your nonsense, yes ... and from there you have wallowed in the tangent you created. I am not complaining, I am pointing out your modus operandi ... I don't mind a bit the sparring ... as I have said previously: I don't drink so don't go to bars, don't belong to clubs or associations, don't attend churches -- I've no history discussing subjects with random folks ... this is new to me and amusing as hell.

As for talking about individuals, your superciliousness, as pointed out elsewhere, is intentionally spread at people, individuals and populations alike, much as hippos spread their sh*t. Your manner of passive-aggressive attack is transparent always. You delight in sniping at anyone and everyone -- whereas I reserve sniping back for intentionally nasty, arrogant people.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Nonsense, as always ... your first post attacked the hygiene and economics which was a deliberate attempt on your part, as always, to initiate reactive argument tangential to the topic ...
As I said......you want to believe that I operate in the same fashion as yourself...but its just not true. But hey, clearly you know more about me than I do.... Regardless, you are free to think you have some sort of clever insight into others actions...but its really just pop-psych gibberish.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:58 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,833,676 times
Quote:
As I said......you want to believe that I operate in the same fashion as yourself...but its just not true. But hey, clearly you know more about me than I do.... Regardless, you are free to think you have some sort of clever insight into others actions...but its really just pop-psych gibberish.
As noted before -- and agreed by you -- I am not the only person on this forum making these observations of you ... I am just more articulate than the average bear in the woods -- an infection transferred to me by my English-teacher mother perhaps.

Now, about those hippos? Or shall we return to dirty farmers? Or, god-forbid, turn the discussion back to those folks interested in local farmers' markets?

Old 01-13-2012, 04:36 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,623,774 times
Quote:
I'm not sure why you think I mind buying produce from the central coast.....I'm also not sure why you think they put produce in some mysterious container for 1~2 weeks and when it only takes a few hours to move it down here....

Fertilizers and pesticides? Gee, do that put that on just for our benefit?
Sure it gets to LA in a few hours, some times it sits in a cold room near Guadalupe waiting for the right price, then it goes to the broker with those big refrigerated warehouses, and there it sits again, waiting for the right price.

I am not sure what "do that put that on just for our benefit" means.

I can tell you, pesticides are generally applied at night, somewhere between midnight and dawn. This is done to avoid wind, and when the air is damp. This allows maximum application to the plants, and minimum dispersal to people in the area, thus limiting four armed 6 fingered locals.

After all, the more pesticide in the plant, the more goes to Los Angeles

Old 01-13-2012, 10:10 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,134,289 times
One last parting question for User_.... Do you know how to tell if you are in a rural or urban area??????

You are in a rural area, if you are accustomed to urinating where ever and when ever the urge comes up... Front yard by the mailbox where ever.. If you have to think twice very often that some one will see you then you are in an urban area....

--------------------------------------Know......

Part of the reason I like to use Local harvest as a research tool is to find areas with clusters of organic farming.... I also would rather farm slightly marginal soil, to avoid the intensity of use in prime areas.. I suspect it may be difficult to successfully implement organic practices in biologically dead areas... Thinking the ecosystem is imbalanced with the herbicide and pesticide use.. (I can expand on the observation if any one wishes.)

Highnlite, Any soil salts build up from intensive irrigation in your area?
Are you seeing intensive insect and disease attack in your natural garden verses your commercial fields? How about yield differences.... As you could dispel my thesis above as myth..
---

About a year ago I stopped pulling out the last crop of lettuce when putting in the next crop, I felt yields increased by not disturbing the soil when plugging in transplants..

We all have heard of using cover crops but apparently a new study is showing to not till in the cover crop but just knock it down and plant in the dead decaying mass... Results are showing as good as or better than using plastic mulch... It was an article in a magazine, I have not googled it yet to read the actual paper...
But interesting stuff..and fits with my observations..

(Yes, this filthy, redneck is changing the subject...)

Old 01-14-2012, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
After all, the more pesticide in the plant, the more goes to Los Angeles
The produce is sold throughout the country...that would include the central coast. The vast majority of people don't grow their own "organic" foods. I have no idea why you're singling out LA here...

Old 01-14-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
You are in a rural area, if you are accustomed to urinating where ever and when ever the urge comes up... Front yard by the mailbox where ever.. If you have to think twice very often that some one will see you then you are in an urban area..
Yep, I have always said I would never live anywhere I could not pee off the front porch of my house, course today I walk outside and their is a crew of "illegals" setting boxes for harvest. I had to walk over by the woodshop.

Quote:
Highnlite, Any soil salts build up from intensive irrigation in your area?
Are you seeing intensive insect and disease attack in your natural garden verses your commercial fields? How about yield differences.... As you could dispel my thesis above as myth.
There is salt buildup, irrigation methods have been altered over the past 20-30 years to attempt to alleviate the problem. It does not affect production or quality yet, but there is some leaching into the ground water, particularly of nitrates.

A problem on our coastal farms is something you probably don't have in Wisconsin If well draw down the groundwater too much, we can have salt water intrusion from the ocean. A major concern.

Our home garden is usually in pretty good shape, my wife likes natural methods, as far as yields go, I cannot even hazard a guess, as the our garden is so small relative to the commercial field. Commercially, we will get three crops a year of lettuce. We generally have summer crops and winter crops. Right now we have cabbage, brussels sprouts, bok choy and napa, for the summer we may have bell peppers. and napa. The market is way up for brussels sprouts for some unknown reason, so there is good dollar value.
FYI, cabbage here grosses about $25,000 per acre.

Commerical ag has much greater yields than organic, which is why most organic farms are essentially hobby farms around here. If organic had the yield of commerical ag, growers would switch, but although the market price is higher, the yield is so much lower that it isn't viable on a large scale.

Quote:
I have no idea why you're singling out LA here...
Solely for your benefit.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:42 AM

50,056 posts, read 46,553,810 times
Pray for me. I'm heading out on my bicycle to a local farmer's market down the street. I've got people coming over to watch football and I don't want to use my highly prized garden vegetables (squeaky clean) on any Patriot fans. I'll make sure those filthy buggers at the stand touch each and every carrot and onion.

TEBOW!!

Old 01-14-2012, 10:51 AM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/385538_327801050583785_186457858051439_1032125_561 324419_n.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California