Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 09:31 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,854,602 times

Advertisements

For those interested in local farmer's markets and organic foods, here is a resource to locate same in your area ... just type in your zip code:
Search - LocalHarvest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 09:33 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,643,913 times
If I only ate vegetables.........

Old 01-10-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
If I only ate vegetables.........
Call Any Vegetable

Call any vegetable
Call it by name
Call one today
When you get off the train
Call any vegetable
And the chances are good
Aw,
The vegetable will respond to you
(Some people don't go for prunes...
I don't know,
I've always found that if they...)
Call any vegetable
Pick up your phone
Think of a vegetable
Lonely at home
Call any vegetable
And the chances are good
That a vegetable will respond to you
Rutabaga, Rutabaga, Rutabaga, Rutabaga, Rutabay-y-y-y...
(A prune isn't really a vegetable...
CABBAGE is a vegetable...)
No one will know
If you don't want to let them know
No one will know
'Less it's you that might tell them so
Call and they'll come to you
Covered with dew
Vegetables dream,
Of responding to you
Standing there shiny and proud by your side
Holding your hand while the neighbors decide
Why is a vegetable something to hide?

(Frank Zappa)

Old 01-10-2012, 10:01 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,643,913 times
I like Frank.. Going to Montana soon, etc.

San Luis Obispo has one of the finest farmers markets in the country, it is the place to be on Thursday night.. I have been to it once... But I do have acres and acres of Brussels sprouts, Bok Choy and Napa out front.........

Old 01-10-2012, 10:13 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,018,307 times
I've never understood the allure of Farmers markets.....a collection of unwashed resellers selling overpriced produce.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I've never understood the allure of Farmers markets.....a collection of unwashed resellers selling overpriced produce.
Well, so nice to have you throwing bait around the dock here, user

"Unwashed resellers"? The merchants at the markets are "unwashed"? Or the merchandise is "unwashed"? In either case, what's the problem?

Most produce grows in dirt -- other than certain hydroponic operations. What difference is it if that produce is washed by the grower, wholesaler, retailer, or consumer?

And, most people who work on farms have dirt under their nails and in the crevices of their skin and in their hair. This makes them inferior creatures how? At what point in human evolution exactly did scrubbing ones self clean of the soil of honest labor become a signifier of a higher intelligence or morality?

"Overpriced"? compared to what standard?
For the folks who wish to be supportive of local, small farms, and who value the health benefits of locally-grown, seasonal produce, what is their option at whatever price?

Old 01-10-2012, 11:25 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,018,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
"Unwashed resellers"? The merchants at the markets are "unwashed"? Or the merchandise is "unwashed"? In either case, what's the problem
The merchants.....and call me crazy but I wonder how well people handle food when they can't handle basic personal hygiene.

Quote:
At what point in human evolution exactly did scrubbing ones self clean of the soil of honest labor become a signifier of a higher intelligence or morality?
It hasn't, instead being able to get by in life without committing yourself to the "soil of honest labor" is a signifier of higher intelligence. Indeed, much of modern fashioned is based on this... Why do you think something as stupid as high heals are fashionable? Why do "professional" men wear pieces of fabric on their necks? In each case you'll find that the cloths make it difficult to do "the soil of honest labor".

Regardless, I'm just entertaining the thought, my comment had nothing to do with your rant at all. I just don't get the allure of buying overpriced produce from unwashed men.

Quote:
"Overpriced"? compared to what standard?
What standard? Umm....where you can get it cheaper. They are selling the same mutated junk you can get from just about anywhere in California.

Quote:
For the folks who wish to be supportive of local, small farms, and who value the health benefits of locally-grown, seasonal produce, what is their option at whatever price?
You don't need to go farmers markets to buy local produce, if something is in season and its grown in California than even the large grocery chains will (at least usually) source it locally.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:33 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,836,438 times
"Higher intelligence" ?!!!
Yeah, sure.
Those higher intelligent disconnected-from-the-earth human beings are sh****** in their own nest .... destroying their own habitat and their own species.
Real intelligent.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:35 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,067,960 times
^ Its all local in California. Whats so difficult to understand!?
People go to Farmers markets for the fun of it. Plus they get ultimate freshness, often times they can taste it (samples), and theyre generally organic. Nothing wrong with that.
I'd still recommend washing your purchases though....

Old 01-10-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
The merchants.....and call me crazy but I wonder how well people handle food when they can't handle basic personal hygiene.

It hasn't, instead being able to get by in life without committing yourself to the "soil of honest labor" is a signifier of higher intelligence. Indeed, much of modern fashioned is based on this... Why do you think something as stupid as high heals are fashionable? Why do "professional" men wear pieces of fabric on their necks? In each case you'll find that the cloths make it difficult to do "the soil of honest labor".

Regardless, I'm just entertaining the thought, my comment had nothing to do with your rant at all. I just don't get the allure of buying overpriced produce from unwashed men.

What standard? Umm....where you can get it cheaper. They are selling the same mutated junk you can get from just about anywhere in California.

You don't need to go farmers markets to buy local produce, if something is in season and its grown in California than even the large grocery chains will (at least usually) source it locally.
Oh. I see. I suppose I might get back to some of this snottiness tomorrow ... maybe, maybe not bother ... you have really done a marvelous job of showcasing your own superciliousness. So ....

But I will say that, for someone so focused on the 'elevation of being' through the avoidance of laboring in dirt, you certainly haven't much command of spelling and grammar -- which, some people find to be a signifier of refinement. Not only do you apparently simply skip proof-reading what you write for the simple mistakes we all can make in haste, but you make certain grammatical errors repetitively in all your posts. Some folks find consistent sloppiness in communications to be a sign of either a lazy or uneducated or at least undisciplined mind. For my part, it doesn't bother me to read such errors in most peoples' writings generally -- except when those slovenly habits accompany supercilious condescension toward others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California