Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 10:24 PM

5 posts, read 9,623 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to decide where to move. I've narrowed it down to San Diego, San Fran, or Portland. These are my 3 favorite places. San Diego weather is a little warm for my taste though, which is one reason I think I would fit well in Portland or Nor Cal, although San Diego is beautiful. I'm a writer so I can work from anywhere and my husband fixes airplanes so he can work at any airport. Can people please tell me which of these 3 places they would prefer to live and why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 10:52 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,109,333 times
Depends upon your priorities.

If you like a sunny and beach oriented atmosphere then San Diego is a clear choice.

San Francisco has the largest downtown area, with a ton of things to see and do along with incredible vistas. However, it is an exceptionally crowded area and very expensive.

Portland is colder then San Francisco or San Diego in the winter, by a significant degree. It has a pleasant downtown area and a lot to do in and around town, with great local places to walk or hike. It also is the rainiest area of the three, with the most overcast days. However, it is much cheaper to live there and has very little in the way of "bad areas" to avoid.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:38 PM

5 posts, read 9,623 times
I know San Fran is prob the most expensive and if it wasnt for price that would probably be where I would go. Beach isnt a big deal to me. Im in LA now and only go once or twice a year to the beach anyway. San Diego has lots of fun things to do which makes it catch my eye, like sea world, the zoo, and football stadium. Portland is prob the most affordable and I love nature, and the downtown area...but the winter there worries me! :0

Old 01-13-2012, 01:43 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,839,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderette View Post
I know San Fran is prob the most expensive and if it wasnt for price that would probably be where I would go. Beach isnt a big deal to me. Im in LA now and only go once or twice a year to the beach anyway. San Diego has lots of fun things to do which makes it catch my eye, like sea world, the zoo, and football stadium. Portland is prob the most affordable and I love nature, and the downtown area...but the winter there worries me! :0
If you have ANY reservations about PNW winters, don't bother even experimenting ... it is more dismal and depressing than you'd guess.

Beautiful? Oh definitely.
Fun things to do? Very definitely -- IF you like doing things soggy and chilled.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:34 PM

844 posts, read 2,092,587 times
Fair warning: San Diego is not all it's cracked up to be.

I spent 6 months there & hated it after a while. Too many temporary residents (trying out the "Cali lifestyle bro!" but end up moving back to Iowa). It was difficult to form friendships with people moving away once the summer wore off. Too many homeless (have you been downtown - WOW). Overall, it felt like a medium sized midwest city BUT with high CA prices, and without the warmth of midwest people. Don't get me wrong, it was a GREAT place to visit (I used to go once a month) but after living there...

Old 01-13-2012, 10:15 PM

59 posts, read 157,574 times
I was born and raised in San Diego, but now reside in Western Washington north of Seattle. I have been to Portland on two occasions thus far and like the city and amenities offered, with great access to nature and outdoor activities. I was concerned if I could handle PNW weather coming from SD, but I have adjusted well. My favorite time of the year in SD was May and June for the May-Gray and June-Gloom periods, as I did not look forward to the impending hot days of the summer and fall seasons. This made me think that I could tolerate PNW weather.

After 2.5 years here I like the cooler weather and love having seasonal changes, that are nearly non-existent in SD. You really should enjoy winter activities such as skiing or snowboarding to more easily tolerate the winter weather.

I have no plans of returning to SD, eventhough all our family is there. My long-term plan is to relocate back to California, but in the Lake Tahoe area as I am a die-hard snowboarder and nature lover. I want to raise my kids in this environment, but with a little more winter sunny days and closer to home.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:02 AM

7,373 posts, read 15,939,152 times
Move to Portland and bow down before the best pizza west of the Hudson River: Apizza Scholls

If you dare disagree....."SACRILEGE!!!!"

reviews: Apizza Scholls (http://tinyurl.com/83q8y6g - broken link)

You think I'm joking, right?
Try the flipping pie!!!

Apart from the lure of pizza, I'd actually have to go with San Diego myself. Everyone's got different requirements. I like sailing and warm weather. YMMV.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:38 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,700,152 times
How about none of the above. If you can work anywhere, and you have bank enough to consider San Fran. or San Diego, go with Santa Barbara. Very nice spot.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:32 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,938,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Feathers View Post
trying out the "Cali lifestyle bro!"
or "Dude, sure hope I can get some Cali girls here!"

Old 01-14-2012, 01:35 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,938,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Move to Portland and bow down before the best pizza west of the Hudson River: Apizza Scholls

If you dare disagree....."SACRILEGE!!!!"

reviews: Apizza Scholls (http://tinyurl.com/83q8y6g - broken link)

You think I'm joking, right?
Try the flipping pie!!!

Apart from the lure of pizza, I'd actually have to go with San Diego myself. Everyone's got different requirements. I like sailing and warm weather. YMMV.
Lol, it's beyond me why some people list pizza joint as an attraction of the city.... It takes only few minutes to make own and put it in the oven, and you'll know that you used all good ingredients and nobody spit in it (this happens in restaurants), at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California