Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2012, 10:11 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,954,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
This is a great "down-home-type" restaurant that is not in California (or the West Coast in general)...they're basically all over the country including the NE, and some other Western states

Who else likes this place, and why do you think they're not in this part of the country?
I've been to a Cracker Barrel...in Tennessee. Gross. I'm not even remotely from the south but I can honestly say that my cooking is superior. Those little chewy "dumpling" things in the chicken and dumplings- not nice and really weird. Gravy was yellow and didn't taste like chicken.

Oh, and all the grotesquely obese smokers flooding into the place--doesn't really make the ambiance nice either. Sorry...not my thing I guess.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:34 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,781,146 times
Yellow chicken gravy = all the proof one needs for accusing a restaurant of making "packet gravy."

The same goes for banana pudding. When it's yellow, it's fake. The only part of the nanner that's yellow is the part that gets thrown away.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:22 AM

15,083 posts, read 20,402,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
as long as they keep IMOS pizza in Saint Louis we will all be OK.... Worse pizza ever.
And they can keep White Castle out, too.

[worst burger]

Old 08-16-2012, 09:11 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,326,928 times
Yeah, I always have to drive to Yuma if I want Cracker Barrel. I don't care either way if it's in CA or not.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:52 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,877,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I've never eaten at a CB but a glance at the online menu makes me wonder what "down home" even means.
Usually it means highly processed crap bought from Sysco. BTW they had a CB in my neck of California when I was growing up in the 80's and even then people didn't think it was very good. Generic store bought bread with generic store bought lunch meat with generic store bought condiments and yet they still wanted the same price as the deli across the street which got fresh bread from the bakery next door. No, thank you. CB just sucks.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:58 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,155,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Yellow chicken gravy = all the proof one needs for accusing a restaurant of making "packet gravy."

The same goes for banana pudding. When it's yellow, it's fake. The only part of the nanner that's yellow is the part that gets thrown away.
Are you serious?

I remember that awful stuff (yellow gravy) from my elementary school cafeteria,. It was right up there with the wet tater tots.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:18 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,583,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
This really makes no sense. A Cracker barrel in California isn't competing with restaurants in other states, instead it will be competing with restaurants that have to deal with the same wage issues as them. Maybe the executives at Cracker Barrel have some ideological barrier to doing business on the west coast, but it has nothing to do with operating costs being unmanageable, etc.
Did you read a previous post that said their menu pricing is the same across all the states and operating expenses are higher in CA so the profit margin will be smaller, maybe too small ? You are so hell bent on denigrating so called "southern comfort food" that you are blinded to anything else. I have eaten many times at various CB's. Some are very good, some not so good and yet, they are a chain. I almost always order a vegetable plate and the food is decent. The apple dumpling is very good. Good PA Dutch sweet......

I do not care for most Mexican foods and yes, I have eaten the real deal. I love Thai, Vietnamese and Chinese food. I like quite a few Middle Eastern foods, not so much Indian. Caribbean food I enjoy, not too fond of Ethiopian. I can take or leave certain Japanese foods. I have intimate knowledge of French food and it's okay, mostly country French, I like. I love street food in most countries. So on and so forth.........don't limit yourself, man. Try it all. Mexican ain't the be all end all in cruisine. Southeners have some jam up good foods and, as most foods, it is in the preparation and presentation.....

Old 08-16-2012, 12:19 PM

C.O., yeah, it really is that bad, worse than McD's in my opinion, but some how Southerners think "it's just like mom used to make". Their mothers must have been really lazy and never cooked anything from scratch. How anyone could think yellow gravy is "home cooking" is just beyond me. Yuck.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:20 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,583,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
And I just mentioned plenty of restaurants that serve similar food(comfort food, if you will), and they do fine. Plus there's places like Lucille's that offer that food plus southern BBQ and are some of the busiest restaurants around.
Thx for this post. I can't rep you again.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Southeners have some jam up good foods and, as most foods, it is in the preparation and presentation.....
That is true but none of it is at a third rate pit like Cracker Barrel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California