Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2012, 10:35 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,688,672 times

Advertisements

I've got my priorities. I had cheesecake for breakfast, plus some lemon coffee cake PLUS leftover ham. PLUS some chocolate raisin babka. Can you tell we had a pot luck party over the weekend?

Old 08-28-2012, 11:14 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,361,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Is she a "Spammer" ... my Hawaiian friends and adopted family tell me it is genetic ...
After serving in the South Pacific during WW II my father wouldn't let it enter the door to the house!

After C-Rats, I won't either!

Old 08-28-2012, 11:20 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,853,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
I've got my priorities. I had cheesecake for breakfast, plus some lemon coffee cake PLUS leftover ham. PLUS some chocolate raisin babka. Can you tell we had a pot luck party over the weekend?
I can tell you are young yet
Give that list to your digestion to consider when you are 50+ ...
Go ahead, make my day ... as the phrase goes ...

Old 08-28-2012, 11:51 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,016,914 times
Quote:
Give that list to your digestion to consider when you are 50+ ...
Well statistically there is a good chance they don't last that long....

I find it odd, the sort of pride people have over the junk foods they eat...as if there is a virtue in eating yourself to death. That reminds me, the other day I was listening to a guy talk about taking lipitor....over a meal of two pork chops and some slimy pasta dish. Only in America....

Old 08-28-2012, 11:55 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,295,077 times
Quote:
Is she a "Spammer" ... my Hawaiian friends and adopted family tell me it is genetic ...
Never touches the stuff. I learned to love it as a kid but haven't eaten any in probably 50 years. I avoid red meat and severely limit all other meat and dairy products. Mainly a Vegan style but not fanatical about it as I still love my Pizza and a few other goodies. I avoid most sugary foods as the US population gets waaaaaaay to much for good health.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:58 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,023,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Well statistically there is a good chance they don't last that long....

I find it odd, the sort of pride people have over the junk foods they eat...as if there is a virtue in eating yourself to death. That reminds me, the other day I was listening to a guy talk about taking lipitor....over a meal of two pork chops and some slimy pasta dish. Only in America....
While it seems this might be the first time I've agreed with you, one thing you have to keep in mind is that everyone has different philosophies about how they want to live their life, and it's not up to anyone to judge.

I've known people that were told that if they took another puff of a cigarette they'd be a goner, yet they continued to smoke until it killed them. Their outlook on life: I'd rather live a shorter but full life the way I want to than a longer life living the way I don't want to.

I personally wouldn't have made the same decision, but to each their own. There is no right or wrong, just what is right for you.

Not to mention, you can do everything right within your control (fanatically healthy diet; regular exercise; no smoking, drinking or drugs; no sex until marriage; safe driving; etc) and still be taken out (or be told you have cancer) just like that tomorrow. It is what it is.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:10 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,016,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
one thing you have to keep in mind is that everyone has different philosophies about how they want to live their life, and it's not up to anyone to judge.
I don't think many people are eating themselves into poor health for philosophic reasons, instead they just aren't thinking about it much.

I'm not a new ager, I don't have any problems with judging people.

Quote:
I've known people that were told that if they took another puff of a cigarette they'd be a goner, yet they continued to smoke until it killed them. Their outlook on life: I'd rather live a shorter but full life the way I want to than a longer life living the way I don't want to.
People say that, its just mostly just gibber-gabber. They haven't really thought about it, after all, smoking not only shortens your lifespan but reduces the quality of life as well. Same goes with poor diet. People smoke, and keep smoking, because they are addicted and the "I'd rather live a shorter but full life...." is just an excuse to keep smoking. Plus, how many of these people when faced with death...will say it was worth it? I'd imagine very few....

So, you're free to explain this by "philosophic differences", and I'll continue to judge and talk about the reality of matters.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:37 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,023,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I don't think many people are eating themselves into poor health for philosophic reasons, instead they just aren't thinking about it much.

I'm not a new ager, I don't have any problems with judging people.

People say that, its just mostly just gibber-gabber. They haven't really thought about it, after all, smoking not only shortens your lifespan but reduces the quality of life as well. Same goes with poor diet. People smoke, and keep smoking, because they are addicted and the "I'd rather live a shorter but full life...." is just an excuse to keep smoking. Plus, how many of these people when faced with death...will say it was worth it? I'd imagine very few....

So, you're free to explain this by "philosophic differences", and I'll continue to judge and talk about the reality of matters.
I'm not a new ager either, yet I try to be a good human and not judge. I guess you're taking a different route. That is fine.

As to the rest of your post, well, it's too far from accurate to even be worth responding to, so I'll resume my usual pattern of not responding to your posts, since it's difficult to have a meaningful conversation with someone that's main purpose is to pick arguments.

Good luck with that.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:40 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,853,309 times
Yes. Among my most poignant memories of both my late wife and only brother are of them each muttering in tears: "stupid stupid stupid" ... over and over and over again for the year or so each after their terminal diagnosis. They were referring to their cavalier health habits ... strangely, both of them were really quite moderate and healthy in most all respects. Smoking is like that. So are persistent exposure to various toxins. So can be poor nutrition habits for many.

Do we digress from Cracker Barrel here?
Not much, if we are discussing it and similar as lifestyle.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:40 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,361,284 times
Quote:
Not to mention, you can do everything right within your control (fanatically healthy diet; regular exercise; no smoking, drinking or drugs; no sex until marriage; safe driving; etc) and still be taken out (or be told you have cancer) just like that tomorrow. It is what it is.
And after all that healthy living and eating it has to be REALLY annoying to be lying there dying of nothing! Just ask Euell Gibbons, Jim Fixx and Micah True.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California