Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2012, 03:09 PM

12,460 posts, read 19,992,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Like Curmudgeon said...
Yep, that's right. Now you can go back to discussing your junk food.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:28 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,837,174 times
I imagine I am being cast in the same lot as user here. Whatever.

I simply find it odd to consider things that are self-destructive to be "treats" and "rewards". Fleeting pleasures are wonderful if they do not have long-term negative consequences. Certain acts between consenting adults fit that profile for me. Eating crap does not.

I also find the notion that no one gets hurt but the guilty indulger is not true. Certain self-indulgent habits left me without the one I adored ... and our children to grow up half their lives without a mother ... etc. Even in cases less dramatically painful, destructively indulgent pleasures affect those around you.

No. These realizations don't stop me from having caring relationships and strong friendships with others who are self-indulgent. Nor do I condemn them as bad people. But these are not innocent and harmless habits. They are what they are: destructive addictions, mostly based in entirely foolish, unnecessary acculturations.

Yeah. I'm a killjoy. No fun at all. Wet blanket.
Funny though, I have found outrageously sensuous alternative pleasures without harmful consequences. It is not necessary to be toxic to live pleasurably.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:40 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,018,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post

I simply find it odd to consider things that are self-destructive to be "treats" and "rewards". Fleeting pleasures are wonderful if they do not have long-term negative consequences. Certain acts between consenting adults fit that profile for me. Eating crap does not.

I also find the notion that no one gets hurt but the guilty indulger is not true. Certain self-indulgent habits left me without the one I adored ... and our children to grow up half their lives without a mother ... etc. Even in cases less dramatically painful, destructively indulgent pleasures affect those around you.

No. These realizations don't stop me from having caring relationships and strong friendships with others who are self-indulgent. Nor do I condemn them as bad people. But these are not innocent and harmless habits. They are what they are: destructive addictions, mostly based in entirely foolish, unnecessary acculturations.

Funny though, I have found outrageously sensuous alternative pleasures without harmful consequences. It is not necessary to be toxic to live pleasurably.
I'm not sure why you think you're in the same boat as "user", but I can say I certainly don't put the two of you in the same boat.

In any case, I don't know who your post is directed towards, but I hardly believe that one plate of nachos per month is going to kill me. At least, we didn't learn that in nursing school, any way. Perhaps science has changed since then, though.

Besides, what is so bad in nachos, the way I make them, other than the chips and vegan cheese? The rest is healthy: tomatoes, avocados, lettuce, etc. And, if you saw the portion size I'm able to eat, it's even laughable that I call it a meal as for most others my meals are their snacks.

What's the matter, nullgeo? Did you have a bad experience with a plate of nachos once? Is that what this is all about?

While we're at it, let us please do the math:
31 days in a month x 5 meals per day = 155 meals per month. All of those meals -1 being clean and healthier than 99.6* of the population, I believe I'm entitled to one meal that isn't perfect, if I want one. Not that I have to justify myself to anyone, because, like I said, life is too short, and I will live as I see fit.

It's all about balance. I don't know your entire situation, but I'm sorry that it sounds like perhaps you may have experience with over-indulgers, but the fact of the matter is, an indulgence once in a blue moon hardly puts someone in the same category as an over-indulger. I try to avoid extremes, as extreme on either end often isn't good. Even germs, in moderation, are needed for good health.

Last edited by SunnyTXsmile; 08-28-2012 at 03:51 PM..

Old 08-28-2012, 03:47 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,308,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post

Food snob! There's a "healthy" difference between those who live on what you and others would and do call "junk food" and occasional "guilty pleasures" (very occasional), usually homemade, because they tickle the pallet for a brief time and then are left behind for many months or even a year or so.

I don't put you in quite the same category as a pinch-faced naysayer whose life's quest seemingly is to abnegate but in this particular instance...

Old 08-28-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
but the fact of the matter is, an indulgence once in a blue moon hardly puts someone in the same category as an over-indulger.
"Ahh, my guilty pleasure "cheat day" foods are nachos (with tomatoes and avocados, or I have no use for them lol) and just about any dessert (right now I'm hooked on thai rice pudding), among other things."

Doesn't sound like "once in a blue moon".....

Old 08-28-2012, 04:01 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,837,174 times
Quote:
I'm not sure why you think you're in the same boat as "user", but I can say I certainly don't put the two of you in the same boat.

In any case, I don't know who your post is directed towards, but I hardly believe that one plate of nachos per month is going to kill me. At least, we didn't learn that in nursing school, any way. Perhaps science has changed since then, though.

Besides, what is so bad in nachos, the way I make them, other than the chips and vegan cheese? The rest is healthy: tomatoes, avocados, lettuce, etc. And, if you saw the portion size I'm able to eat, it's even laughable that I call it a meal as for most others my meals are their snacks.

While we're at it, let us please do the math:
31 days in a month x 5 meals per day = 155 meals per month. All of those meals -1 being clean, and healthier than 99.6* of the population, I believe I'm entitled to one meal that isn't perfect, if I want one. Not that I have to justify myself to anyone, because, like I said, life is too short, and I will live it as I see fit.

What's the matter, nullgeo? Did you have a bad experience with a plate of nachos once? Is that what this is all about?
I don't have anything at all against a nacho plate -- depending on an individual's tolerance for dairy (cheese) that is. While I eat next to no grains (right, I do not indulge any longer in the rice on the Hawaiian take out's), some grains sometimes are perfectly innocuous and not unhealthy in modest amounts and frequencies. I was not referring to a plate of nachos. And my post was not directed at anyone specifically. I refer to the general turn of topic: that eating crap food -- such as the type of fare offered by establishments like Cracker Barrel -- is somehow a badge of super-human resilience and a feat to be admired and enjoyed.

Truth is, eating like that has some level of negative consequences for pretty much anyone who indulges as a lifestyle. And I don't consider destructive consumption to be a "treat". To think that way is to hold to the notion that the best pleasures are often guilty pleasures. I don't find that to be true.

Some folks that know me assume that I am highly disciplined in living a life of denial. Not at all. I have simply studied the realities of much of what I do and consume, and determined that the basis for a lot of crap we all live is acculturization to traditions and tastes we don't understand in their origins. I look for other ways to be titillated and sensuous. Find 'em too

Old 08-28-2012, 04:05 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,018,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
"Ahh, my guilty pleasure "cheat day" foods are nachos (with tomatoes and avocados, or I have no use for them lol) and just about any dessert (right now I'm hooked on thai rice pudding), among other things."

Doesn't sound like "once in a blue moon".....
You better just back the f* off. Shows how much you know. I had an eating disorder for 13 years that nearly took my life. Just the fact that I'm eating food is a very large victory. Just the fact that I grocery shop is a huge win. Just the fact that I'm excited about cooking now is a large milestone.

While I'm finally eating, I still obsess about putting foods into "junk food" categories and ruling them out of my life. Part of my ongoing therapy is actually to do exactly the opposite.

How does that foot in your mouth taste now? I'll save the curse words I have for you for only in my head.

How about you put me on your ignore list, and I'll do the same.

Have a great life.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:15 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,760,092 times
Quote:
Ignore them, and (eventually), just like psycho ex-boyfriends, they go away. I promise.
Quote:
You better just back the f* off. Shows how much you know...
*cough*

Old 08-28-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
You better just back the f* off.
Or....you could calm down and realize that this is just an internet forum. Also, I most say, if you can't take it....don't dish it out. You started the vitriol, but I'm suppose to respond to you like a 5-year girl?

Regardless, my comments had nothing to do with you in particular, they were general comments about Americans attitude towards food.

There is no foot in my mouth.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:03 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,106,052 times
Let's not turn this into a food fight.

I like what most of you call junk food, and eat it quite often.

I've suffered no ill effects so far, and just came through my 60 year old physical (including stress test, heart ct scan and echo cardiographs) with flying colors.

So after I finish my cheese steak and potato chips, I'll chirp about the virtues of Cracker Barrel and why I'd love to see them along I-5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California