U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 09:21 PM

12,350 posts, read 10,661,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Lots of really negative comments about this and other "down home" restos. So, that's great if all you ever want to eat is "slow food" or ethnic cuisines.
What is slow food? Ethnic? How does one define that? Asian and Hispanic foods are deeply ingrained in California culture, they aren't "ethnic", they are part of the mainstream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I also like "good old American" food too. It's a sign of the exiting Middle Class native born that we see restos like Cracker Barrel going by the bye.
No its not, its a sign that native Californians find food like Cracker Barrel to be rather foreign. I grew up eating burritos, tacos, chop suey, etc.....not Biscuits and gravy, chicken and dumplings, etc. Cracker Barrel? Gross....I was only exposed to that sort of food as an adult.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Simplistically, food that's made to order and hasn't been sitting under a heat lamp like most "fast food," In-N-Out being a rare exception.
Pretty much all fast food places operate like In-N-Out....

Old 01-20-2012, 09:52 PM

5,112 posts, read 12,122,186 times
There was a Cracker Barrel in Lakewood until semi-recently. Now it's another comfort food place. Chainwise, there's also Hof's Hut, Coco's, Baker's Square, Polly's, Carrow's, Norm's, Denny's(breakfasty, of course), etc. Other places around me include Huff's, Shenandoah at the Arbor, The Shorehouse, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id
No its not, its a sign that native Californians find food like Cracker Barrel to be rather foreign. I grew up eating burritos, tacos, chop suey, etc.....not Biscuits and gravy, chicken and dumplings, etc. Cracker Barrel? Gross....I was only exposed to that sort of food as an adult.
I'd say it's a function of demographics where you live. You're going to find a lot more hole in the wall Mexican places in Santa Ana than you will American comfort food joints. Go to Lakewood and you'll find the opposite.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:25 PM

12,569 posts, read 9,500,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Nailed it. That's exactly why California doesn't have them. And you guys are really missing out on it, too.
So what's the reason for the restaurants that are here?

Old 01-20-2012, 10:26 PM

12,569 posts, read 9,500,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Pretty much all fast food places operate like In-N-Out....
No, they don't.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:38 PM

8,017 posts, read 5,860,214 times
Why?

Old 01-20-2012, 11:03 PM

4,331 posts, read 6,580,666 times
I asked the manager of Cracker Barrel also why the restaurant chain stays away from the West Coast. I was told basically the same as the other poster mentioned that had asked a manager. That and the required minimum wage paid to servers on the West Coast, would drive up operating costs way to much. Basically the West Coast states don't provide the type business climate that Cracker Barrel desires. I know the closest one to Portland is Boise 435 miles away, and yes I have been there once. I've been to a few of them on the East Coast also. The Chicken & Dumplins, vegetables and sugar free Apple Pie were very good. The salad was pretty good also. Don't know how the rest of their food is, thats the only meal I have eaten there.

I will say the Cracker Barrel restaurants don't seem to be in need of customers. The restaurants I have been to there is always a line waiting for a table. I find the food very reasonbly priced.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
I'd say it's a function of demographics where you live. You're going to find a lot more hole in the wall Mexican places in Santa Ana than you will American comfort food joints. Go to Lakewood and you'll find the opposite.
I was more so speaking about California as a whole. Californians, that is people born and raised here, tend not to eat so called "down home" food much so it shouldn't be surprising to find the restaurants (especially the large ones) that serve that sort of food to start going out of business as the states population becomes more and more native.

Anyhow...."down home" cooking to a California isn't chicken and dumplings, etc. I find it odd to insist that people throughout the country should have some sort of deference to the eating habits of those in the South....

Old 01-20-2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I was told basically the same as the other poster mentioned that had asked a manager. That and the required minimum wage paid to servers on the West Coast, would drive up operating costs way to much. Basically the West Coast states don't provide the type business climate that Cracker Barrel desires.
This really makes no sense. A Cracker barrel in California isn't competing with restaurants in other states, instead it will be competing with restaurants that have to deal with the same wage issues as them. Maybe the executives at Cracker Barrel have some ideological barrier to doing business on the west coast, but it has nothing to do with operating costs being unmanageable, etc.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:00 AM

7,151 posts, read 4,418,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I was more so speaking about California as a whole. Californians, that is people born and raised here, tend not to eat so called "down home" food much so it shouldn't be surprising to find the restaurants (especially the large ones) that serve that sort of food to start going out of business as the states population becomes more and more native.

Anyhow...."down home" cooking to a California isn't chicken and dumplings, etc. I find it odd to insist that people throughout the country should have some sort of deference to the eating habits of those in the South....
Dang it, user ... I presume you have some authenticated studies or other proof to back up your statements in bold above? I hope you're not just posting some opinion here ... that would be nasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California