Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 02:09 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times

Advertisements

I'm in a mood tonight. I'm sick of people complaining about California prices, blah blah. If you don't like it here, or you can't find a reason to move here...go away! That's my opinion.

I love it here mainly because of the weather. Second, for me is the diversity and liberal mindset.

Anyway, feel free to give your reasons why someone should or should not move to California.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:45 AM

247 posts, read 525,781 times
I can't wait to move there. Every winter gets harder.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:39 AM

6,356 posts, read 7,764,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I love it here mainly because of the weather. Second, for me is the diversity and liberal mindset.

Anyway, feel free to give your reasons why someone should or should not move to California.
The liberal mindset is the major reason that I will be leaving the state when I retire in a couple more years. Not that there is anything wrong with a "liberal mindset", it's just a different viewpoint. However, the political balance in our state is gone, and when either side of the political aisle control all branches of government with a super-majority, then few good things are accomplished. A republic needs a political balance.

I totally agree with you about the climate and natural beauty of the state. That, and the cultural diversity, are the major reasons for wanting to be here or to come here.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:41 AM

486 posts, read 1,255,689 times
Maybe because of people like you who tout diversity and the liberal mindset together without understanding the irony of your statement?

Old 09-26-2013, 10:44 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Anyone who is making a rational rather than emotional decision will weight costs against benefits against risks. People who make decisions like that tend to get ahead in life, even with life throws the odd curve ball. Someone contemplating any move needs to do this.

I would say based on what I have set forth, many middle class people would find it very hard to justify moving from where they are to this state. Similarly, many middle class people currently residing in this state are finding that a move away could improve their cash flow.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:50 AM

6,356 posts, read 7,764,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
... many middle class people currently residing in this state are finding that a move away could improve their cash flow.
Bingo!

Old 09-26-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Anyone who is making a rational rather than emotional decision will weight costs against benefits against risks. People who make decisions like that tend to get ahead in life, even with life throws the odd curve ball. Someone contemplating any move needs to do this.

I would say based on what I have set forth, many middle class people would find it very hard to justify moving from where they are to this state. Similarly, many middle class people currently residing in this state are finding that a move away could improve their cash flow.
I did read an article addressing this and some "hidden" ways living in a place like California can save money. One was the free entertainment factor. You have a ton of free attractions that you can enjoy that you are less inclined to want to travel and such. I personally think this might be legit. When I was younger I lived in a nowheresville place where there was really nothing to do. So every weekend our family would drive about an hour or more to go to a larger city to check out a museum, find a large body of water, etc. If you live in Bay Area, LA, or San Diego, you mostly have a ton of stuff to check out year-round. So your desire/need to travel might decrease. It has for me.

So I'm not ready to give up on the state yet as it offers quite a bit. That being said I am getting sick of the Bay Area as I feel it offers NOTHING for someone that doesn't work in the tech sector, and the COL is substantially higher here than even Los Angeles, to say nothing of San Diego (which I feel has a better overall QOL than the Bay Area)

Old 09-26-2013, 11:16 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
... when either side of the political aisle control all branches of government with a super-majority, then few good things are accomplished. A republic needs a political balance....
So a lot of folks say. Actually, what anyplace needs isn't political balance so much as just intelligent, rational leaders and electorate. No balance required by lunatics. (Cue the fringe-conservative Chicken-little rants ...)

Quote:
...even with life throws the odd curve ball. ...
"odd curve ball"? Nothing odd about life's curve balls ... they come rapid-fire, wicked, and near constant for many of us ...

Old 09-26-2013, 11:18 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countofmc View Post
... So I'm not ready to give up on the state yet as it offers quite a bit. ...
Too bad. I'm always cheering for people leaving. Go for it, I say. I recommend N. Dakota, Texas, Nebraska ...

Old 09-26-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Too bad. I'm always cheering for people leaving. Go for it, I say. I recommend N. Dakota, Texas, Nebraska ...
All my family is here so if I leave it'll probably be somewhere close like Arizona or Nevada. Maybe Utah, I hear good things about that state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California