Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 09:20 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danscojack5 View Post
Hey all, this is my first attempt at creating a thread, so give me a break if I do anything wrong (like post this in the wrong section, because I couldn't decide if it belongs in general California or the IE section). Anyways, there seems to be a general consensus that the IE sucks. I've noticed this both in life and on this website. My question is, why? I moved to the IE from Whittier (born in Glendora) when I was real young and have been here ever since. I don't have any plans to move; I like it here. I know LA, San Diego, and OC really well. I recognize the differences of coastal cities/counties, but don't understand why people throw so much dislike toward the IE. So what's your view of the IE? Do you dislike it based on stereotypes or experiences? Or do you like the IE? And if so, why?

Thanks in advance for any/all replies!
I was raised in the IE area, went to IE schools, and I now work for a city in the IE. For the most part, the Inland Empire is where I do most of my usual daily activities.

One problem for me as a single guy is a lot of my friends live closer to the core of the LA metro area and, therefore, I live and work in the boonies relative to them. Any cool and interesting activities with (or without) them requires some serious drive time into LA which is okay on weekends but a no-go on weekdays. Some people may have most of their friends in the IE or have no real need to socialize beyond their general vicinity. This, of course, is a personal matter so results for others will vary. For example, I have a distant friend who lives in Palm Springs (not IE but you'll get the point in a second) and all of his friends and family live out there and everything he does is there. He's happy.

There are not a lot of interesting attractions or things to do here either. Events like concerts are usually held in downtown LA or in that general vicinity like the Hollywood Bowl. There is no equivalent of the Getty, Disneyland, the beach, Griffith Park, etc. Of course, you could just drive to those places - this is LA after all. Of course, there are small places here that may not be 'on the map' so, results in this case will vary, too.

I don't think it is that smoggy here. When I was younger you'd be lucky to see the mountains but nowadays it's so clear that I'm surprised when I don't see them. The weather is nice - I don't mind the heat. I am a hot weather person so 90* - 100* is nothing. I wish it would rain more here like it does closer to the coast because then it would be greener; as it is, a lot of the lush landscaping you see would be dead in a matter of weeks if it wasn't for the constant watering.

Traffic is light. The only time I'm in a traffic jam is if there's an accident. Because I live in the High Desert (which technically is not IE) my commute is not frustrated by heavy rush hour traffic. Driving I-15 at 80mph or more is normal.

Housing is less expensive here for certain. The house is new - I'm the first owner. It's quiet. But it's a bit isolated. The other trade-offs were explained in the first to paragraphs of my post.

By now you should have gathered that the biggest drawback to IE living is the deficit in socializing activities.

[my opinion, of course]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 09:24 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danscojack5 View Post
Do you dislike the Inland Empire?
Just the heat, the drive and the smell of cow feces.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:33 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times
I enjoy living in the Bay Area because I picked the area that was best for me, the peninsula. I'm not looking to leave for the time being, although I might have to depending on my job situation.

However, I would choose to live in the Inland Empire over either the Outer East Bay here in the Bay. Hell, I'd even choose Bakersfield over the OEB. I've only been to the IE once and briefly, but I prefer down to Earth people. Most people I saw in the IE seemed pretty DOE. I was raised in a community full of blue-collar, working class people and am used to that, as well as cow poo-poo and some rednecks. "Down to Earth" is description many in the Outer East Bay, and South Marin and San Francisco for that matter, are not, in addition to being not nice and friendly at all. (But, I would still live in South Marin and SF because there are enough redeeming qualities there.)

Otherwise, in SoCal, much of Ventura, (North) Orange and San Diego Counties would also be fine with me. More expensive, yet that's a given.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:46 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,562,259 times
I don't dislike the armpit of California. Afterall everybody needs an armpits. Just try not to spend too much time there thats all.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:57 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
So many of the old dairies were turned into housing developments a few years back, before the housing bubble burst. So now we have more houses, and less open space... I'd take the cows back in a heartbeat, if it was possible!

Old 01-15-2012, 10:42 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
After 44 years in South OC, you'd think I'd hate South Fontana. Wrong. Naturally, it helps that "third world" (white people code for "lots of brown people") bothers me naught.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:04 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times
I would love to live along the coast during the summer months. Cool & overcast days would fine with me since i rarely see them in the IE. Some areas of the IE are nice like redlands but hot & dry usually from may-oct.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:10 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
You just described Hemet.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:31 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
You just described Hemet.
Have you been to Hemet in the last decade? There are no dairies left in the city - and very few left in San Jacinto.

The dairies were a big source of wealth for over 100 years, but they're almost all gone now.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:00 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
If God decided Earth needed an enema, he would choose the IE for the point of application.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California