Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 04:55 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,274,772 times

Advertisements

It's great that highly edumacated people are moving in. And lots of uneducated are moving in. The merely educated (HS or Bachelors, or, advanced degree in something impractical) are moving out.

The last part is bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 06:01 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,274,772 times
To wit:

In Keystone XL Rejection, We See Two Americas At War With Each Other | Joel Kotkin

Old 01-21-2012, 12:45 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,746,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
It's great that highly edumacated people are moving in. And lots of uneducated are moving in. The merely educated (HS or Bachelors, or, advanced degree in something impractical) are moving out.

The last part is bad.
I'm the bold. If all goes as planned, I'll start a graduate program while working here in CA during the next couple of years. In something practical, too.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:24 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,937,626 times
Quote:
Interesting article. I think every one, even if their profession is removed from land, should make effort to be able to survive off the land and off the grid, fix own stuff, grow stuff, be good with guns and bow and arrow, etc... and not depend on services and government--nobody knows what's to come in the future. No matter how skilled someone is at some tech occupation.... these skills will not be helpful if the rat tail hits the fan, and everything goes down in flames, riot and civil war and services will not be widely available. A large sector of population is very removed and disconnected from land now. Agriculture is being monopolized right now! With most apartments if Bay area being against medium or big sized dogs... people are unable to have a dog for protection, if they head out camping/hiking, more and more disconnection of "reality" except "cyber urban reality"

Last edited by alexxiz; 01-21-2012 at 03:34 PM..

Old 01-21-2012, 08:47 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,134,289 times
Quote:

It is my understanding the pipe line was not rejected! Simply the path was!!!!...

A shortcut to save Billionaire oil companies money while endangering precious habitat Just so their execs can get million dollar bonuses, and their political cronies in Washington can get kickbacks.... The alternative route that follows the existing pipeline is what has been suggested, by us "greenies".

I personally get irritated by article that conveniently leave out the facts.... I am not a puppet for the ruling class....

Old 01-22-2012, 03:40 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,402,808 times
More of you need to move to Texas to increase my chances of getting a job in California.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:35 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,695,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
The Silicon Valley makes up a very small part of California...and the idea that all the smartest people flock there is just silly...
Many smart people are smart enough to figure out that the cost of living ratios in California are not very good. I think a smart person wanting to raise a family in an affordable, sensible plase would be better off moving to Pittsburgh than Palo Alto.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:48 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
This is just measuring more or less "professional workers"....and yeah it seems that a number of people that left during the housing bubble want to come back now that homes are more affordable.

LA is still packed with young folks from other states chasing highly improbable goals....
great evaluation. It is going to take years for CA to return to it's old self, if it ever does and in the meanwhile young people, as you say still think Ca or Cali as they like to call it is the promise land with streets of gold.

NIta

Old 01-22-2012, 12:04 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,833,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Many smart people are smart enough to figure out that the cost of living ratios in California are not very good. I think a smart person wanting to raise a family in an affordable, sensible plase would be better off moving to Pittsburgh than Palo Alto.
Define "sensible" ... Pittsburgh? As in Pennsylvania? ... uh, no ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
great evaluation. It is going to take years for CA to return to it's old self, if it ever does and in the meanwhile young people, as you say still think Ca or Cali as they like to call it is the promise land with streets of gold.

NIta
Define "old self" ... pre-2007 as in from about 1980 - 2007? ... uh, who in their right mind would think a return to that period of insane growth and development and rape would be desirable?

... pre 1970's or so? ... wishful thinking ...

Old 01-22-2012, 12:11 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,624,497 times
I drove across the Central Valley yesterday, the giant wall of the Sierra Nevada rose over 10,000 feet high in the east, fresh snow made it sparkle like millions of diamonds in the afternoon sun.
Above the valley the great sky stretched from horizon to horizon with masses of drifting white clouds sailing across it like Spanish Galleons with all sails filled.
The green grass and crops spread out as far as I could see, cattle grazed quietly.
I think the reports of California's demise are a bit exaggerated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California