Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 04:42 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,279,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving the cold View Post
Michigan just cut 350 million from the school systems state wide. I reside in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. This cut affects the programs in our community drastically. In the whole school district there is 3 autistic children. My son is the first high functioning autistic the school has had, they have had to develop a whole new system for him in the elementary level. However now that he is entering middle school they are at a loss as to what they are going to do. We can't take that chance of him not getting what he needs to function in society later in life. One day we wont be here to care for him and we need to give him every opportunity we can and Michigan is failing at providing this. Not only to disabled children but all the children in the state.
California is even broker than Michigan.

Did you not know this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 06:29 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,135,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
California is even broker than Michigan.

Did you not know this?
And the federal government is even more brokerer than California...

(Sure California is broke, but you the people tend to support education ... Grant it schools appear to vary greatly from one place to another......)

IMO one can not really pass judgment on how bad things have become in the state they live, until they experience how bad things are in other places... For example, Wisconsin schools and specials programs have been attacked hard, and we are hurting pretty bad...

*** I can have no real opinion on California schools or specials programs first hand.. Only what I know from others...

Old 01-18-2012, 06:47 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,627,860 times
It ain't the money, it is the teachers.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:11 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,135,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
It ain't the money, it is the teachers.
Oh so true......

Old 01-18-2012, 09:24 PM

6 posts, read 12,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilushka View Post
I live in the Bay Area and I have a few friends who work with autistic children, and other kids with disabilities, at various schools. Apparently a lot of schools have programs that accommodate such children. One of my close friends works at a private school that accepts a lot of troubled kids and have a whole division dedicated to kids with various "mental disorders". You probably don't want your son there but I can try to ask her what would be the best school(s) for somebody who is not a trouble maker.

-- ilya
I would be appreciative for any information. The school district here has a very good program in the elementary school but now that my son is entering middle school they are trying to figure out what to do. From my understanding of what I have been told by the special education teacher in the middle school, in the past any kids who needed intensive one on one has been placed in the high school in the special education program. this is a handful of kids who are separated from the general education kids all together. They are all ages and handicaps. I couldn't live with myself if I did nothing when there is so much more potential for him.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:52 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,829,076 times
Is the public school system (here or anywhere) your only option?

Old 01-18-2012, 11:17 PM

6 posts, read 12,223 times
Our country has been hit hard everywhere..Obviously!!Regardless of the economy, some of the best research, therapy programs, and the curriculum that the school's follow for these children have come from CA. This decision is not a rash thought in my brain. It is a matter of weighing the pro's and con's, making a plan of action, and getting the ball rolling. A person can't just move across country and expect everything will fall into place. That is why I am asking for information, to make sure I find the right spot for my family. I could use more info on the areas of certain cities to stay away from if crime is an issue, that sort of thing. Three cities I have been looking at with very good programs are San Jose, Santa Ana, and Richmond. Any of the surrounding communities of these cities would be fine as well.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:31 PM

7,373 posts, read 15,937,261 times
I'd move to those communities in the order you have them listed. There are very nice parts of San Jose and fantastic surrounding towns in the South Bay. It's a great place to live, but very expensive for rents. Santa Ana is in the megalopolis that is the "Southland" and it can certainly be overwhelming if you're not a city mouse. Richmond has such a bad rap for crime that I wouldn't even consider it. I'm not speaking from experience regarding Richmond though. I just drive past it occasionally.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:25 AM

54 posts, read 95,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving the cold View Post
Our country has been hit hard everywhere..Obviously!!Regardless of the economy, some of the best research, therapy programs, and the curriculum that the school's follow for these children have come from CA. This decision is not a rash thought in my brain. It is a matter of weighing the pro's and con's, making a plan of action, and getting the ball rolling. A person can't just move across country and expect everything will fall into place. That is why I am asking for information, to make sure I find the right spot for my family. I could use more info on the areas of certain cities to stay away from if crime is an issue, that sort of thing. Three cities I have been looking at with very good programs are San Jose, Santa Ana, and Richmond. Any of the surrounding communities of these cities would be fine as well.
I grew up in Alpena and I kinda think the Bay area would be a change from the UP eh?

There are plenty of rural districts in California and some very good small town schools you could consider, however it might be difficult to find one that will fit your needs. I teach at a small (900 student) public high school in Taft, CA and we have had autistic students come through our programs. One student was from a smaller rural K-8 district that was the grandson of a school board member and he was a VERY strong advocate for that child's education. I will ask some questions tomorrow and see if I can find a contact in our Guidance or Special Ed Department that may know how well it went in our district and if they now of any strong programs in our part of the state. I admire your determination to do the best for your child.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:52 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,790,679 times
I am from MI and live in CA now. I do like CA but the cost of living is so high. People told me but I never thought as high as it is. I am saying this coming from one if not the most expensive area of MI as well. Now I know CA varies a lot though and I can't give feedback on the areas you are looking at.
Is there an organization that could offer you some feedback on the best schools in this situation? I am curious what made you pick CA. Like I said I really like it here but I would think that other states would have what you are looking for but at a lower cost. Also what do you do for a living because would you move without a job lined up? Is your line of work in demand?
Good luck with what you decide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California