Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 08:44 PM

130 posts, read 523,654 times

Advertisements

i would also like to point out another truth about santa maria vs. orcutt. has anyone yet brought up the fact, that if there was a major flood, the water levy would not hold and most of santa maria would be underwater? just google santa maria and look at the map and look at allllllllllllllllllll those (newer) housing developements built along the old santa maria river bed. not sure when they will start raising taxes to pay for the levy or if santa maria will get all/some federal relief help? as it stands right now the levy will not withstand a 100 year flood. also....i think this may impact your home owners insurance? soo again......why choose santa maria over orcutt, its beyond me?

btw, all the new housing in santa maria, is to the north (around preisker park) and northeast/east (off of donovan road).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 12:31 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,429,065 times
caliving, You are saying I cannot be a pragmatic judge of a town because I have lived elsewhere? mmmm.

Regarding floods, I lived in Santa Maria pre levee, I have never seen the water south of Donovan Road.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:58 PM

37 posts, read 313,113 times
Cool GBG at it again!

[quote=greatbasinguide;2056969]
If you measure Santa Maria against certain other towns, Carmel, Nevada City, Alturas, Arcata, San Francisco, Boston, Quebec City, Venice, Rome, Paris, Perugia, Siena, Sisquoc, it should be apparent that Santa Maria is not in that class.
quote]

LOL. GBG: this is a ridiculous statement. You sound as foolish as the poor Europeans who refer to Los Angeles as some fabulous place when those of us who have spent time in LA know the truth. A large percentage of most of the cities you name above are trash - Rome? Are you kidding? I found it hard not to step on a syringe in Rome! Let's not get silly on the posts - if anyone is looking to live in a tourist trap or in a ridiculously cold climate then the cities you are talking about are great; however, we are talking about a small coastal town here, let's compare apples to apples.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:11 AM

159 posts, read 808,998 times
[quote=CalBerkeley2002;2105630]
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
If you measure Santa Maria against certain other towns, Carmel, Nevada City, Alturas, Arcata, San Francisco, Boston, Quebec City, Venice, Rome, Paris, Perugia, Siena, Sisquoc, it should be apparent that Santa Maria is not in that class.
quote]

LOL. GBG: this is a ridiculous statement. You sound as foolish as the poor Europeans who refer to Los Angeles as some fabulous place when those of us who have spent time in LA know the truth. A large percentage of most of the cities you name above are trash - Rome? Are you kidding? I found it hard not to step on a syringe in Rome! Let's not get silly on the posts - if anyone is looking to live in a tourist trap or in a ridiculously cold climate then the cities you are talking about are great; however, we are talking about a small coastal town here, let's compare apples to apples.
Just because someone doesn't care for your town or city ... doesn't mean
you should take it personal. If we all loved and liked the same place like
yourself... we'd all be crammed into Santa Maria. Be glad it's not like
LA and enjoy the fact that you like it and it's not that crowded. After all
this forum is about opinions and respecting the different ones...

Old 11-28-2007, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalBerkeley2002 View Post
Glad to hear the people actually living in SM speaking up! That's what I thought I was going to get when I originally posted. Truth is, I've lived in Fresno and now Houston for all of my post-college days - believe it or not I like Houston much more than I did Fresno. That being said, I was relatively happy in both cities because I was happy at work and at home - I think if you are with your family you can be happy anywhere if you let yourself. I'm really looking for a better climate which I'm sure you all can agree that SM has a great climate (esp. when compared to Fresno or Houston). The worst thing about living in the gulf coast is the lack of topography, haven't seen a hill since I went to San Antonio in Feb.! Well, I'm coming next spring and I'm looking forward to it - noticed the welcoming posts were from the locals and I think that speaks volumes. Thanks everyone.

I know hearing that some people don't like Santa Maria irritates you.
You want to hear how great it is.... you like diversity... well so do.
Santa Maria looks great on the internet and researching. So great
we planned to move there without seeing it... got in the car took
a trip and decided in short order it wasn't for us. But hey, you've made
up your mind it's fantastic so good luck to you... the weather will
definitly be better. I hope that's enough for you coming from Houston.
And the traffic won't be nearly as bad... everything else though will
be a hard transition is my guess. If you want to buy a home prepare to
spend about 3 times as much in Houston. 500 k buys you a starter home.
By starter I mean ghetto in my opinion.
If I were picking between the two, Houston would definitly come out ahead.
But ... that's just my opinion. Don't take it personal... I really hope YOU
like it.

Last edited by lexi; 11-28-2007 at 07:52 AM..

Old 11-28-2007, 07:21 AM

[quote=lexi;2107666]
Quote:

Just because someone doesn't care for your town or city ... doesn't mean
you should take it personal. If we all loved and liked the same place like
yourself... we'd all be crammed into Santa Maria. Be glad it's not like
LA and enjoy the fact that you like it and it's not that crowded. After all
this forum is about opinions and respecting the different ones...
I don't live in SM or Orcutt - I live in Houston, TX. Either way I think the comparison between a small town like SM or Orcutt and one of the oldest and largest cities in the world (e.g. Paris) is incredibly stupid. I'm trying to determine if SM/Orcutt is a good place to settle for a while while I open a new office in the central coast. I doubt anyone cares for ridiculous comparisons, they don't help.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:00 AM

[quote=CalBerkeley2002;2107755]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexi View Post

I don't live in SM or Orcutt - I live in Houston, TX. Either way I think the comparison between a small town like SM or Orcutt and one of the oldest and largest cities in the world (e.g. Paris) is incredibly stupid. I'm trying to determine if SM/Orcutt is a good place to settle for a while while I open a new office in the central coast. I doubt anyone cares for ridiculous comparisons, they don't help.
He was just saying or she that she's been around... I really think you
need to go visit before you make a decision if you haven't already. My
Dad told us how great Santa Maria was (he was there in the 70's) and how
beautiful it was (it does have scenic beauty surrounding the city for sure)
but when we got there we were extremely unimpressed. Even Pismo Beach
which I loved had a lower ecomomic vibe for me... Coming from Houston
I believe it's going to be disapointing in all ways except weather. If you
have actually been there and seen it in person and still liked it then I think
you'll be very happy there minus shopping convienence. If you haven't
seen it in person I recommend a trip before you load up your moving van.
I notice people do love it there... people who grew up and have family
generation after generation. They don't leave.... but coming in after
living other places it really does pale in comparrison in my opinion to most
places. Is it much better than a lot of places? Yes it is... it's better
than most of central California but if you were comparing between Houston
and Santa Maria....Houston wins hands down for ME. As far as diversity...
I love diversity too but I don't think you can call Santa Maria diverse... you've
got your white people and your hispanic's (legal and illegal). That's pretty much it.
If I were starting a small business in that area... I would pick San Luis Obispo.

Last edited by lexi; 11-28-2007 at 08:15 AM..

Old 11-28-2007, 09:45 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,263,402 times
Santa Maria is ok! I would pick it over Houston any day. The weather
is great! AND houses are not $500.000 for "ghetto". The prices are
dropping big time, if you watch real estate you would know that.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:19 PM

[quote=lexi;2108098]
Quote:

He was just saying or she that she's been around... I really think you
need to go visit before you make a decision if you haven't already. My
Dad told us how great Santa Maria was (he was there in the 70's) and how
beautiful it was (it does have scenic beauty surrounding the city for sure)
but when we got there we were extremely unimpressed. Even Pismo Beach
which I loved had a lower ecomomic vibe for me... Coming from Houston
I believe it's going to be disapointing in all ways except weather. If you
have actually been there and seen it in person and still liked it then I think
you'll be very happy there minus shopping convienence. If you haven't
seen it in person I recommend a trip before you load up your moving van.
I notice people do love it there... people who grew up and have family
generation after generation. They don't leave.... but coming in after
living other places it really does pale in comparrison in my opinion to most
places. Is it much better than a lot of places? Yes it is... it's better
than most of central California but if you were comparing between Houston
and Santa Maria....Houston wins hands down for ME. As far as diversity...
I love diversity too but I don't think you can call Santa Maria diverse... you've
got your white people and your hispanic's (legal and illegal). That's pretty much it.
If I were starting a small business in that area... I would pick San Luis Obispo.
I've been to SM, I grew up in CA and frequented the central coast. Visiting a place and living in a place are completely different though. I realize that I could do the obvious and move to SLO and start an office - but I don't want to. I'd like to bring high paying jobs to other areas that usually only get the walmarts, home depots, etc. As far as Houston is concerned, outside of the big city amenities (restaurants, sports teams, etc.) it is really not a great place to live...the weather is horrible, traffic is a nightmare and although it is inexpensive, it is not as cheap as one would think. Houses are cheap but the property taxes go between 4-5% and homes are re-appraised by the county every year, wich means you pay more every year. It is a good place to make a living though. As far as diversity, doesn't really matter to me...I like to live around good people regardless of their background. Like GBG said, in all races some are good and some are bad. Of course I'll be there in person for a while before I make a choice, but this is a good way to help narrow it down between Nipomo, Lompoc, SM, Orcutt, SLO, Guadalupe, etc. Thanks. By the way, when you look at a map it appears SM and Orcutt are the same town, just south vs. north, does the few miles of separation make that much difference??? Just Curious.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:03 PM

That's good you are going to check it out before buying... I'd cross Guadalupe off your
list and Lompoc has high crime I've heard. Nipomo is supposed to have the best
weather in the world... it's a short distance from Santa Maria but personally I liked it
a little better.. when we were looking the realtor and everyone stressed Orcutt over
Santa Maria for schools and it's considered nicer so that actually was where we looked in
05 and for 500 thousand we weren't happy with anything we saw. Prices have come
down and will continue to for at least a year. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California