Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 03:48 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,440,404 times

Advertisements

I do worry about the quality of education some of you have gotten.
Let us look at what you think is somehow hypocritical. I did not think I would have to cut it down to an elementary level, but apparently I do. We can take this sentence that you seem fixated upon.
Quote:
Santa Maria is not called Fresno on the Pacific for nuttin. It is, at best a hicktown,, at worst a racist Mexican gang ridden town."
Seems easily understood, apparently not.
Santa Maria exhibits many of the fine cultural amenities of Fresno, flat, intense lack of culture.
It is a hick town, easily understood I should think. No backpacking stores, no Porsche, Volvo or Lexus dealership, plenty of western wear stores, and the Elks Rodeo is the chief cultural event of the town. The wise city fathers tore out the down town and replaced it with a spectacularly ugly parking structure and enclosed mall on one side of the street and on the other, a typical, strip mall, destroying what had been a pleasant downtown and very nice large theater. The effect has been a soulless crass excuse for a Central City, (you have to be a native or near to, to understand that reference)

It is racist, in that the white hicks express disdain and beyond for the Mexicans, and vice versa. Mexican Gangs, Duh, if you are familiar with Santa Maria, you know that there are Mexican Gangs. If you think this statement is out of line, then take a walk on North Broadway some Friday night.

Quote:
I wonder if by "gangs" he means kids with baggy pants - hate to tell you, that's how kids dress now, it is like that EVERYWHERE! I won't let his obviously biased view of Santa Maria factor in my decision to move there at all. Good stuff!
As far as this statement, it is just asinine.

Now, as an example of the boring Fresno like atmosphere of Santa Maria, drive to the center of downtown, park at the corner of Main and Broadway, walk around. Now get back in your car, drive to downtown Arroyo Grande and do the same, then get back in your car and drive to downtown San Luis Obispo and do the same, then get in your car and drive to downtown Paso Robles and do the same. See the problem?

Calberkeley I have a town for you, actually two. Coalinga (new homes for -$300,000 and Avenal, Oil and cheap homes and diversity You would like either, especially if you are comfortable in Texas. In fact Avenal has such and interesting and diverse population that most of the homes have chainlink or spiked steel fences around them.

Considering that you have lived in Fresno and Texas, you might think you have died and gone to heaven by living in Fresburg on the Pacific, good luck.

And finally
Quote:
After seeing what a little new growth has done for Bakersfield, a very similar town, it would definitely make SM more attractive to me.
Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 11:02 PM

110 posts, read 752,895 times
santa maria does indeed have a serious gang problem but so does santa barbara which is far more affluent

Old 09-17-2007, 08:18 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,440,404 times
I have no problem with Mexican gangs or gang members. Aside from the criminal bent, they are much like a social club and have been around in California for generations. The gang members generally just pick on each other and don't bother others.

Our social circle includes a few gang members, these guys are nice fellows, can't shoot for beans. My wife has given them shooting lessons.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:30 PM

142 posts, read 524,076 times
I am not going to say Santa Maria is free of gangs, I don't know of any city which is. I am just saying I have not personally ever been affected by anything resembling a gang member. I would venture to say that Santa Barabra has more gang related issued then Santa Maria will ever have.

I've lived in Santa Maria all my life, and consider my lifestyle of the highest quality.

Old 09-23-2007, 03:43 PM

33 posts, read 206,721 times
We are moving to Santa Maria in Feb 08..DH is in teh Air Force with orders to Vandenburg. we are hoping to move to the Orcutt area. I was hoping this would be 3 pages of valuable info instead of bickering and gang-talk..which we all know exists. Is there anything else that anyone can add about this area?

We don't make 100,000, but only-slightly lower and are hoping to rent since we don't have a clear idea of how long we'll be there. We've found several VERY nice homes for rent in our price range. I'm getting the idea that the South East section of Orcutt is preferable?

Old 09-23-2007, 06:17 PM

36 posts, read 157,118 times
Thumbs up Orcutt is very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candmforever View Post
We are moving to Santa Maria in Feb 08..DH is in teh Air Force with orders to Vandenburg. we are hoping to move to the Orcutt area. I was hoping this would be 3 pages of valuable info instead of bickering and gang-talk..which we all know exists. Is there anything else that anyone can add about this area?

We don't make 100,000, but only-slightly lower and are hoping to rent since we don't have a clear idea of how long we'll be there. We've found several VERY nice homes for rent in our price range. I'm getting the idea that the South East section of Orcutt is preferable?
My husband and I have been sitting here talking about how much we want to be living on the Central Coast. I was raised in Orcutt and miss it very much. There are really nice places to live up there and great schools. SLO is not affordable but only a 40 minute drive away! Same with SB (a little further).

Look at rentals in The Traditions or The Classics (off College Dr.) -- the homes are newer and stunning and sales are lagging so many owners are renting never-been-lived in homes. Still only about 30 mins to the base.

Cool Places to hang out in Orcutt:
The Loading Zone for coffee and antiques (they have a flea market one Sat. per month)
Jacks and Country Kitchen for killer home-style breakfasts
Orcutt Burger mmmm
Addamo (sp?) wine tasting room on Clark Ave
Wine Cottage Bistro (I've heard it's very nice and upscale)
Rancho Maria golf course -- fun and very inexpensive!

Good luck and enjoy.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:17 PM

1 posts, read 12,644 times
I've lived in Santa Maria now for over 20 years, having moved back when my father retired from the Air Force( stationed at Vandenberg). I live in the Tanglewood area and despite having alot of bad press (gang activity) that mostly comes from people who dont live here, its a great place to live. I've raised 4 Kids here and love it. True there are alot of mexicans but unless you are a racist that shouldn't be a problem. I think the police here are actually making the gang problem bigger than it actually is because they are bored and dont have that much to do. They also get federal money via prop 21 if they hype it up. If you are mexican, which I am not, and you have lived in a certain area say for your whole life then you and your friends must be gang members. There are so many new houses standing empty right now you can take your pick of where you want to live.
Hopefully you are not a bigot and can be happy living in a culturally diverse area such as Santa Maria. In case the others who have posted negative things about our town have forgotton we are an " All American City".

Old 09-24-2007, 08:19 AM

36 posts, read 157,118 times
Default correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC2CC Dreaming View Post
My husband and I have been sitting here talking about how much we want to be living on the Central Coast. I was raised in Orcutt and miss it very much. There are really nice places to live up there and great schools. SLO is not affordable but only a 40 minute drive away! Same with SB (a little further).

Look at rentals in The Traditions or The Classics (off College Dr.) -- the homes are newer and stunning and sales are lagging so many owners are renting never-been-lived in homes. Still only about 30 mins to the base.

Cool Places to hang out in Orcutt:
The Loading Zone for coffee and antiques (they have a flea market one Sat. per month)
Jacks and Country Kitchen for killer home-style breakfasts
Orcutt Burger mmmm
Addamo (sp?) wine tasting room on Clark Ave
Wine Cottage Bistro (I've heard it's very nice and upscale)
Rancho Maria golf course -- fun and very inexpensive!

Good luck and enjoy.
Oops, sorry, that's the Loading Dock in Orcutt, not the Loading Zone.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:38 AM

11 posts, read 61,546 times
Thumbs down Yuck!!!

I lived in or near Santa Maria (7 mile radius) from 1962 to 2002. Not a good place to raise kids. Schools are some of the worst in the nation. (Facts can be verified on national websites) Jobs working w/public require you to be bi-lingual. Weather is almost always the same every day. People are getting more and more rude as time goes on. Crowded, expensive, not much to do, (check out the crime rates). I am soooo thankful I was able to get out and move WAAAAY far away. I don't miss a thing about Santa Maria.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:38 AM

33 posts, read 206,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wincor4 View Post
I lived in or near Santa Maria (7 mile radius) from 1962 to 2002. Not a good place to raise kids. Schools are some of the worst in the nation. (Facts can be verified on national websites) Jobs working w/public require you to be bi-lingual. Weather is almost always the same every day. People are getting more and more rude as time goes on. Crowded, expensive, not much to do, (check out the crime rates). I am soooo thankful I was able to get out and move WAAAAY far away. I don't miss a thing about Santa Maria.
What if I plan to home school the kids (little to now worry about the schools), my DH is in the Air Force and I don't work (we won't be working w/ the public), we are currently living in FRIGID Wyoming where we frequently dig out from the snow and 8 months of the year deal w/ sub zero weather, (Cali weather, if foggy even, is a WELCOMED change ..we are florida natives!) and we have family in every direction? True we'd have to deal w/ rude people, other languages, crowded places, etc. But I think we can circumvent a lot of the undesirable things people mention about the place to an extent. I have a friend who lives there and she says there's PLENTY to do..the beacH? We have ATVS..sand dunes? Day trips to Solvang, Santa Barbara, Morro Bay? Seafood? We get NO seafood here in WY. We've found a lot to be excited about.

Eh..maybe we're optimist. Or..maybe b/c the Air Force says we have to go, we are trying to find the bright side? In any case, I'm excited to go! #1 reason? I LIVE IN WYOMING!!?? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California