Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2012, 07:44 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,836,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Sure, make it happen... That satisfies my contention...Legal Civil union... Leave marriage in churches for religion...

That's what i suggested at the beginning of the thread.
Civil unions for everyone gay and straight and then if you (gay or straight) wanna get married, get married ... in a church, a field, in Las Vegas with Elvis .. whatever.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:49 PM

459 posts, read 721,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
That's what i suggested at the beginning of the thread.
Civil unions for everyone gay and straight and then if you (gay or straight) wanna get married, get married ... in a church, a field, in Las Vegas with Elvis .. whatever.
That's a little ridiculous; for those of us that marriage works for, we should still have it. Don't make government tell US what means a marriage. Leave marriage alone and have a more-binding, more practicable(sorry, I LOVE that word) civil union that has the same benefits for those that wish to live together.
In fact, as long as we're able and fit to, we should HAVE marriages at churches, and not restrict gays from their own non-religious covenant--by the way, marriage is only called upon to be preserved since it's been an institution all the way back for the earliest peoples--something you don't tamper with.
Also, it wouldn't be a separate but equal thing, because anyone can get a civil union.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:50 PM

Problem solved! Argument over! We can go home now!

...I haven't seen my son in three days...

Old 01-27-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCalifornianWriter View Post
That's a little ridiculous; for those of us that marriage works for, we should still have it. Don't make government tell US what means a marriage. Leave marriage alone and have a more-binding, more practicable(sorry, I LOVE that word) civil union that has the same benefits for those that wish to live together.
In fact, as long as we're able and fit to, we should HAVE marriages at churches, and not restrict gays from their own non-religious covenant--by the way, marriage is only called upon to be preserved since it's been an institution all the way back for the earliest peoples--something you don't tamper with.
Also, it wouldn't be a separate but equal thing, because anyone can get a civil union.
omg
words fail at this point.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:54 PM

What now?

Just 'cause I'm redundant? You get mad easily? I didn't read your post through and through. Sorry, friend; anyway, I mean marriages in the Church or wherever (synagogue) still need a license and permission. What gives?

Old 01-27-2012, 08:24 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,140,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Even the comment that just came in above yours still does not address the specific question.
It's patting someone on the back for what? For congratulating the "fundies and other conservatives for attempting to preserve the institution that has served us so well."
Yes, the dominant culture has served everyone and the planet so well.

I guess we'll never know how gay and lesbians marrying will negatively impact an individual, the "institution" of marriage and our wonderfully healthy and creative and loving and tolerant and peaceful culture.

While I fully share your viewpoint... I suppose fear of change is a reason none the less, not a very deep or well explained reason but it is a reason..... Ya never know take away the foundation of religion for some folks and they may start chasing after the sheep or something....

I can not comprehend the "no more stable households" comment, but I can see the the term "marriage" being reserved for special religious or church privileges... If they all could agree to "civil union" and all the secular benefits of that, it is a good step.....

If civil union has the same secular privileges as marriage, then I feel take it!.. Let the religions have the word marriage ... ..

Does this move us twords a wonderfully healthy and creative and loving and tolerant and peaceful culture????
No it does not... But at least it gets gay couples some legal rights, which is better than nothing...

--------------

If any of the anti gay marriage people would humor us with how Gay marriage makes heterosexual marriage households less stable... I am all ears...

Old 01-27-2012, 08:32 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,854,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCalifornianWriter View Post
Me? Well, my reasons for being against homosexual marriage stem from something you'd never think of: reasoning.

Sure religion is the super villain, but come on! They may be onto something here! Now, the main reason I dislike homosexual marriage is that the very term suggests:
a) the changing of the definition of one of the oldest institutions on the planet, and a change, I may add, that is unnecessary
b) the changing of the definition means that the government will tell ME what I must accept as a marriage legally, and if not, there'll be consequences. I'm opposed to that, ya know?

Finally, religions (most of them) have the same argument, I'm just standing next to them, not with 'em,see.
Governments tell people what they must accept all the time. With consequences. A - Z ... pick a subject. You and I and everyone else live under about a bazillion laws and regulations that define our lives as a society. Why, government even mandates you must not discriminate against others because of their race, religion, creed, national origin, disabilities -- and more. You accept it all. Used to be you didn't have to treat people equally. Now you do. Except for honoring marital status for same-sex couples. A last frontier kinda thingy. And curiously overdue. Equality is equality. And our nation was founded on the principal. Get over it.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
While I fully share your viewpoint... I suppose fear of change is a reason none the less, not a very deep or well explained reason but it is a reason..... Ya never know take away the foundation of religion for some folks and they may start chasing after the sheep or something....

I can not comprehend the "no more stable households" comment, but I can see the the term "marriage" being reserved for special religious or church privileges... If they all could agree to "civil union" and all the secular benefits of that, it is a good step.....

If civil union has the same secular privileges as marriage, then I feel take it!.. Let the religions have the word marriage ... ..

Does this move us twords a wonderfully healthy and creative and loving and tolerant and peaceful culture????
No it does not... But at least it gets gay couples some legal rights, which is better than nothing...

--------------

If any of the anti gay marriage people would humor us with how Gay marriage makes heterosexual marriage households less stable... I am all ears...
I am totally burned out on this issue.
If someone can answer that question (intelligently) which has been asked numerous times on this thread, i may reenter the discussion but at this point it's like zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
"Ku Fu Panda" is on the telly ... it's so much more fun.
p.s. ... call me thick but i finally got the "dancing persona" comment and thank you.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Governments tell people what they must accept all the time. With consequences. A - Z ... pick a subject. You and I and everyone else live under about a bazillion laws and regulations that define our lives as a society. Why, government even mandates you must not discriminate against others because of their race, religion, creed, national origin, disabilities -- and more. You accept it all. Used to be you didn't have to treat people equally. Now you do. Except for honoring marital status for same-sex couples. A last frontier kinda thingy. And curiously overdue. Equality is equality. And our nation was founded on the principal. Get over it.
What I mean specifically is that to me, marriage means something--one thing--and I wouldn't let them tell ME what it means to ME. Comparing that to discrimination? Ah, different!
If I so choose to discriminate, I still can to myself in my home. I don't think I would do it in public.
I disagree about the last frontier "thingy."
It's not a fundamental human right to be able to marry someone of the same gender, at least not on par with...oh, I don't know, using the same drinking fountains or being able to go to the same school...
Again, a civil union with the same benefits as marriage for those who chose to get joined outside of the church would work wonderfully.
I myself andmany others would still and could still opt for a specifically religious marriage, but just because that's what we want.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:45 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,643,913 times
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/402270_10150518334766275_177486166274_9297252_4301 45755_n.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California