Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 01:31 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,581,486 times

Advertisements

Look, the abomination of same-sex "marriage" is just the next logical step in a long series of attacks on marriage, beginning in the 16th century when Martin Luther sanctioned divorce and bigamy. It's also the logical consequence of a contraceptive mentality which separates the marital act from its natural teleology (i.e., the procreation of the human race).

Therefore we should not be surprised to see more loopy stories like this one out of Seattle today: "Woman weds warehouse to protest gentrification". And why not?

Old 01-30-2012, 01:33 PM

281 posts, read 254,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
I respect your viewpoint.

I'm male, heterosexual and married. My wife and I never wanted to have children. Not for us but certainly do not condemn anyone who does.
My wife and I are also not religious in the sense of Christianity or the Bible.
Again no condemnation nor anger, just indifferent to it.
We believe in a universal power. If you wish to call that God then that's fine.

It is my opinion that if two people wish to get married it is none of my business what's between their legs.

Get married, love one another, enjoy life and do good unto others.

Plain, simple, to the point.

I love my sister, I love her fiance. They are in CT and will legally be married this coming May.

I am my sister's best man if you will.

On that day I will cry tears of love and joy for both my sister and her wife.

I need know of nothing else but to see and experience her happiness and her life being fulfilled.

With respect.
Marriage, being a privilege, not a right, poses several restrictions,, including restrictions on who can marry who (groups, not individuals).

Same sex is one of them.

So is siblings, parent-child, usually first and sometimes second cousins.

Do you disagree with ALL of these restrictions as undo restrictions on people who want to get married, or are some, if not all, of these restriction valid and proper IYHO.

And please bear in mind, when answering, that marriage is for the benefit of all society, not a schema for deciding who gets bennies etc. (and much of the push for same-sex-marriage is for access to the bennies marriage provides, IMHO).

There is far more at stake than the status of a small minority of couples. We are dealing with the foundation of society in substantial part.

I will tell you this. I am against same-sex marriage, but if I was convinced it enhanced society and strengthened marriage, I would support it.

Spittle-Lickers have thrown all sorts of hate-bombs and played all sorts of hate cards in this thread, but in the ultimate analysis, it is about preserving our society and a bedrock institution thereof, i.e. marriage.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:37 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,135,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
This highlights my issue with religion vs. spirituality / belief in a god.
In spite of being atheistic personally, as the line in the song goes:
"Jesus is just all right with me" ...
I don't mind the guy a bit and I have been known to quote philosophy attributed to him ... if he said what people say he said, seems like a pretty cool dude in many respects. And if there is a "God" or god, Jesus would certainly be god's son -- as would we all be the sons and daughters of god. No more, no less.

Then you take these great philosophical observations and understandings, and start twisting and manipulating them into balloon party animals for specific purposes called "religion" ... travesty. As if we could possibly grasp the infinite and omnipotent.

Appreciate the wonder of all that you perceive in your senses and heart and you will be giving back to your God / gods the joy and respect that creation reflects. To deny this respectful appreciation of all forms and beings is, to me, a slap in the face of God. To speak for God, especially in rejection of his work, is the true blasphemy.
I had to stay away from here for a few days.... The doctrine and dogma of twisted and demented "Religion" that some folks follow blindly is beyond me and puts sadness in my heart..... A mind numbing darkness, their fears and insecurities project...

Old 01-30-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Look, the abomination of same-sex "marriage" is just the next logical step in a long series of attacks on marriage, beginning in the 16th century when Martin Luther sanctioned divorce and bigamy. It's also the logical consequence of a contraceptive mentality which separates the marital act from its natural teleology (i.e., the procreation of the human race).

Therefore we should not be surprised to see more loopy stories like this one out of Seattle today: "Woman weds warehouse to protest gentrification". And why not?
Can you say "slippery slope"?

Old 01-30-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
I had to stay away from here for a few days.... The doctrine and dogma of twisted and demented "Religion" that some folks follow blindly is beyond me and puts sadness in my heart..... A mind numbing darkness, their fears and insecurities project...
Neither the issue, IMHO, nor my position in reference thereto has a thing to do with religion. I am an agnostic, and shun most religions are fear-based reactions to a fear of death at the end of one's life, but that is not the topic here, per se.

I can't speak for others position for or against it, or their reasons.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:53 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,135,293 times
Walk like a Duck..................
Quack like a Duck....................
.............Must be a Duck.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:03 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,581,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Angel View Post
Can you say "slippery slope"?
Yep. Funny how each step of the way the vandals will complain that the rest of us are just being fear-mongers. When the homosexualist lobby was agitating for civil unions, the rest of us warned that it would lead to demands for same-sex "marriage". They mocked the very suggestion. No way that will happen, they said. We're just trying to scare people. Etc.

And here we are!

Yesterday, some lady in Seattle "married" a "female" warehouse.

Tomorrow ... well, just try not to think about it.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:06 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,837,174 times
Quote:

Natural teleology? 7 billion screaming (many starving) humans on the planet and we're still promoting "procreation"? I suspect we are waaaaaaaay past concern with "procreation" Man, speaking of 16th century!

Cancer is "natural" too ... and the natural immune system is there to try and thwart its march.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:11 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,837,174 times
Quote:
Yep. Funny how each step of the way the vandals will complain that the rest of us are just being fear-mongers. When the homosexualist lobby was agitating for civil unions, the rest of us warned that it would lead to demands for same-sex "marriage". They mocked the very suggestion. No way that will happen, they said. We're just trying to scare people. Etc.

And here we are!

Yesterday, some lady in Seattle "married" a "female" warehouse.

Tomorrow ... well, just try not to think about it.
Bull ... It was always part and parcel of the object of equal rights. Supporters of civil unions never mocked the suggestion.

And look what happened indeed! Give "them" dirty sinners an inch and they will take over the world with their debauched desires. You know, like: living as free and open citizens able to express their love same as the rest of us straight folks. Imagine! What a concept!

Old 01-30-2012, 02:23 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,829,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
I'll just chime in with what Nullgeo said.
There is an important distinction between spirituality and religion ... the latter often greatly lacking in the former.
And that lack is quite sickening.
Also, what's going on with the California forum?
Anyone else noticed it's been a bit strange and disturbing lately? Or is my perception off?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California