Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 06:52 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,853,309 times

Advertisements

Hey! How about necrophilia? Why was that left out? Talk about a marriage made in heaven ......

Old 01-24-2012, 08:41 PM

749 posts, read 836,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
So it sounds like in the "back of your mind" you equate homosexuality with incest?
Well, to be honest, I personally am no more repulsed by the one than I am by the other.

But at the same time, I'm not up for taking away someone's right to do so.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Hey! How about necrophilia? Why was that left out?
Pretty difficult to get consent from a dead person...

Old 01-24-2012, 09:18 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,835,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyTrav View Post
Well, to be honest, I personally am no more repulsed by the one than I am by the other.

But at the same time, I'm not up for taking away someone's right to do so.
So incest is o.k. with you?
You don't want to take "someone's right to do so"? To do what?
You do realize that incest involves violation and victimization? It's rape.
It involves one person imposing their will upon another person ... one who is usually younger and always with less personal power.
If there is any semblance of consent, it's just that ... semblance.
How do you, in any way, liken that to homosexuality?

Last edited by jaijai; 01-24-2012 at 09:31 PM..

Old 01-24-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
So incest is o.k. with you?
You don't want to take "someone's right to do so"? To do what?
You do realize that incest involves violation and victimization? It's rape.
It involves one person imposing their will upon another person ... one who is usually younger and always with less personal power.
If there is any semblance of consent, it's just that ... semblance.
How do you, in any way, liken that to homosexuality?
Comprehension problem?

I am repulsed by both.

A brother and sister, mutually deciding to have a go....how is that rape exactly? Am I supposed to think any less of that than I am of a man having sex with another man?

Old 01-24-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Comprehension problem?

I am repulsed by both.

No comprehension problems ... just the opposite.
You seemingly equate the two.
You said that you were repulsed by both, "But at the same time, I'm not up for taking away someone's right to do so."
I asked what rights do you not want to take away?
Comprende?

Old 01-24-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
No comprehension problems ... just the opposite.
You seemingly equate the two.
You said that you were repulsed by both, "But at the same time, I'm not up for taking away someone's right to do so."
I asked what rights do you not want to take away?
Comprende?
The right to marry, spend their life with the person they love....etc, etc.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
The right to marry, spend their life with the person they love....etc, etc.
Phew.
Your previous post could suggest that you didn't want to take away the rights of those perpetrating incestuous acts.
Just clarifying.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:29 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,536,070 times
Incest is a different issue than homosexuality. I would bet a... DOLLAR that fewer people are fighting for the right for incestuous MARRIAGE than people fighting for a CIVIL right for homosexual marriage. Trump that : )

Old 01-25-2012, 06:41 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,140,276 times
Well this gets interesting indeed... I think of various Religious groups/cultures that practice Polygamy, for the sake of faster reproduction.. ie, build numbers of members faster... Same with groups that support and condone men wedding young women, barely at puberty...

I think one needs to think hard and long about the word "consent". In both of the above cultural situations.. I feel it is more or less a forced consent....

I find the above practices based in culture and religion to be repulsive... Not because of an individual occurrence, but because of the pressure or "forced" nature of it.

To my knowledge their never has been cultural or religious pressure to be a homosexual... Despite what some draconian minded folks may think... It is not a disease and is not going to spread... I believe the same percentage of the population has been homosexual since the beginning of species..

Sure I suppose heterosexual incest between two consenting adults thing, is a somewhat viable argument, as it is an behavioral anomaly... However, I normally associate it with groups in extreme isolation without much choice in mates... Also I could see with a Religion or cultural support mechanism, the amount of incest could be increased exponentially.. Such as in Royal families of days gone by...

With that said, I do not see how any amount of cultural pressure to be homosexual, will effect the long standing ratio of homosexual to heterosexual...It is simply "wiring" not a cultural thing.

So that brings us full circle back to the question, does collective society have the right to suppress and chastise minority groups that do not fit in with the cultural norm????

My answer is a resounding NO! With the reversal of the right for gays to marry, is one of the many indicators that we are traveling backwards on the road of progress.... Next stop........ public stonings and witch burnings.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California