Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 01:44 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,495,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
The other day I saw a documentary about a guy who was wrongfully convicted of killing his mother. 26 years later he was cleared on all charges and it was found the LAPD lied about nearly every aspect of the case to convict the guy. In Texas, the innocent man would have been killed unjustly. The death penalty is a bad idea.
Let God sort them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 08:08 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,752,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Let God sort them out.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:55 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,420,301 times
"What do you mean we killed the wrong guy?" OOOOOPS!
While I normally agree with Ms. Nita on things, not this one. How can you place a value on a human life?

Old 01-23-2012, 10:04 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
The other day I saw a documentary about a guy who was wrongfully convicted of killing his mother. 26 years later he was cleared on all charges and it was found the LAPD lied about nearly every aspect of the case to convict the guy. In Texas, the innocent man would have been killed unjustly. The death penalty is a bad idea.
That didn't just happen, it was awhile ago and yes, there is no perfect system, but with DNA wrongful convictions are rare...In fact they probably pretty much do not happen anymore. As for what you read, I would have to see the case to believe you are getting a really accurate account.

Nita

Old 01-23-2012, 10:07 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
"What do you mean we killed the wrong guy?" OOOOOPS!
While I normally agree with Ms. Nita on things, not this one. How can you place a value on a human life?
capt Dan, you can not, but there are times when capitol punishment is the answer and yes, I say, rarely..The evidence has to be overhelming and the crime beyond belief almost. I am talking serial killers, people who kill babies or kill totally helpless elderly people for money only, etc.

Nita

Old 01-23-2012, 11:39 AM

448 posts, read 1,048,818 times
i'll pull the switch no problems free of charge!! why should we keep paying for that scum??

Old 10-14-2012, 02:21 AM

29,095 posts, read 25,882,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and you don't think it will cost just as much to keep these prisoners locked up forever? Part of the problem: too many appeals are allowed, costing the tax payer way too much. I don't live in Ca anymore, but if I did I would vote to keep the penalty and change the appeals law. I am not saying there should not be appeals and I do not think the death penalty should be used often, but there are many times when it is needed.

Nita
The appeals process is mandated federally - as a result of the Furman and Gregg decisions. I suppose that California could try to speed up the process - but it would be challenged in court and likely delay executions even more.

It is best to just scrap the whole thing.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:30 AM

29,095 posts, read 25,882,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
That didn't just happen, it was awhile ago and yes, there is no perfect system, but with DNA wrongful convictions are rare...In fact they probably pretty much do not happen anymore. As for what you read, I would have to see the case to believe you are getting a really accurate account.

Nita
You are assuming that DNA testing is conducted upon request and that funds are available to do so. One would think that verifying through DNA testing that a person who the state is going to execute would be a top priority - but it is not and backlogs exist at both state and federal labs.

Here is just one example of many.

Judge denies DNA tests to Texas death row inmate - CBS News

Was Mr. Skinner actually innocent? We will never know now. Could the request simply have been a delaying tactic? Possibly. The fact remains that when courts are specifically denying such tests - the possibility exists that a person who could have been exonerated might slip through the cracks.

The Innocence Project works to secure DNA testing - and their successes only undersore the problem - that their are likely many more innocent persons sitting on death rows throughout the republic - who might be wrongly killed if we don't either get our priorities straight, or ideally - abolish the death penalty for good.

The Innocence Project - Home

Old 10-14-2012, 02:58 AM

37,032 posts, read 41,953,569 times
That guy who was in jail for killing his mother 26 years ago was Bruce Lisker. Lot's of info on the internet about that one. Scary stuff.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:27 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times
Well, now that this subject has been reborn, you may find it interesting to note that many of the death row inmates are vehemently against abolishing the death penalty. As long as it stays on the books, their appeals are all paid for by you good people of the state. Take away the ultimate penalty and they're going to have to pay their own legal costs. As with most things anymore, follow the money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California