Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2012, 05:05 AM

234 posts, read 879,564 times

Advertisements

I would like to know...How much the rent there?
How much the cost to buy a good grocery that will last a month?
How much are clothes, shoes, tv, and etc?

What I want to know what are the costs of a person living in America?

In average how much it cost to live in America, paying the bills like rent, water, lights, telephone, cable, and etc? How much is that monthly?

Also how much is a house if I choose to buy one...how much is rent if I choose to rent?

How much are the houses there if I choose to buy one?

What is the cost living if someone choose to live there in America?

If someone paid rent, lights, water, telephone, cable, and etc? how much would it cost her monthly?

Want is the minimum wage salary there?

Is it easy to find a job there?
Anyone can help me planning on coming back to live in America?

what type of teacher is most needed there day care teachers, ESL, or SPED?

I am an america citizen but I have been living in Brazil for the past 5 years...and I am interested in knowing the life cost there.

Thank you so much, God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 06:48 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,135,293 times
Hi,
Maybe some research on this web site, will help with your questions...

Just enter a city and see the cost of living index. You will find lots of data, including cost of living, which takes into account housing and living expenses... Here is Los Angeles for example.
http://www.city-data.com/county/Los_...County-CA.html

If you are interested in a specific town or area then this is a great place to get more personalized information by asking about a specific area..

California can be a very expensive state, depending on what you want for a lifestyle..

Old 01-22-2012, 08:35 AM

258 posts, read 612,489 times
Today, Rio and Sampa are very expensive places to live ... If you're an American living in Rio, you're a slave to money unless you're drawing a good U.S. pension or you're a Trust Fund Baby. I would try living in NE Brasil, Recife or Maceio before I came back to the U.S. Today, the U.S. has serious economic issues. Even degreed folks can't get a good job.

I've lived in Brasil ....

Good Luck

Old 01-22-2012, 10:22 AM

4,307 posts, read 6,227,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romila View Post
I would like to know...How much the rent there?
How much the cost to buy a good grocery that will last a month?
How much are clothes, shoes, tv, and etc?

What I want to know what are the costs of a person living in America?

In average how much it cost to live in America, paying the bills like rent, water, lights, telephone, cable, and etc? How much is that monthly?

Also how much is a house if I choose to buy one...how much is rent if I choose to rent?

How much are the houses there if I choose to buy one?

What is the cost living if someone choose to live there in America?

If someone paid rent, lights, water, telephone, cable, and etc? how much would it cost her monthly?

Want is the minimum wage salary there?

Is it easy to find a job there?
Anyone can help me planning on coming back to live in America?

what type of teacher is most needed there day care teachers, ESL, or SPED?

I am an america citizen but I have been living in Brazil for the past 5 years...and I am interested in knowing the life cost there.

Thank you so much, God bless.
Well, the cost of living in California varies dramatically. For example, here in the SF bay area, it is absolutely one of the most expensive places in the country. However, if you live in, say Bakersfield, the cost of living is less expensive.

Where I live, rents for houses are often over $3,000/month (living right in the heart of the Silicon Valley). A 3 bedroom house here can easily cost over $1 million and townhouses start around $600-700k. If you are inland, you may be talking about $200k for a 3 bedroom house, so you can see the wide difference.

Gas is more expensive than elsewhere in the US. They require a special blend gas which is cleaner burning (limits air pollution), so gas is typically 30-40 cents more per gallon than elsewhere.

For my water and trash, I pay about $100 every 2 months. I'm not sure how that compares to elsewhere.

Our electricity for a 3 bedroom place tends to be $60-70/month. The good news is that near the coast, it is a mild climate, so that limits the amount of heat or A/C that you need. We don't see huge seasonal swings, but that's not the case if you live far inland.

For our telephone/cable/internet, we pay about $180/month (combined), but that includes top speed internet, unlimited long distance telephone and 300 channels of HD + showtime (on two tv's). I'm sure others could find something cheaper.

I think California has the highest minimum wage in the country (about $10/hour). Of course, we also have the highest state income taxes in the country, so go figure.

The ease of finding a job depends upon what field you're going into. I can't speak with certainty about teachers, but can tell you that there have been a lot of state budget cuts/shortfalls lately, and education has taken a huge hit. There have been many teachers laid off, and I'm sure that'll continue for the next couple years, until the economy really starts taking off and there is more tax revenue.

I've heard that grocery shopping is a little more expensive here than elsewhere, but it is tough to compare. I think that answers your questions.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:02 PM

8 posts, read 16,408 times
I think this is the most honest answer I've ever read. CA is way expensive to live in any of the "better" areas. SF, SD, SB are all over the top with house prices (a million in starting and is called a "fixer"). ALl I have met who own here are trust fund babies, everyone else who is still working is commuting 70 miles or more from their "affordable communities." I was able to manage on SS back in NJ living near NYC; out here I can't make it. It does have high wages but not proportionately so, IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California