Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 02:42 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
The nice thing about California is you can 60-90 minutes from beautiful areas such as the Coast and Mountains but save hundreds of thousands of dollars in housing and living costs.
I agree. The valley is affordable. I think the key is to find some place that you like, but which is not a mecca for the wealthy. Not always easy to do, but there are options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 02:32 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,857,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I am looking at a position in Merced. I would not be moving without a job. But I am having a hard time figuring out where the city is going. Say a person were to land a solid job there, and say, buy a nice house for about $150-200k (i.e. bottomfeeding in a crashed market), what would be the prospects of things improving substantially in 5-10 years. I know the Merced represents the depths of the housing crash, and that coupled with the new UC campus should set a positive trajectory for growth. However, I know that much of the San Joaquin Valley seems to keep declining in educational attainment, rising gangs, air quality, etc. It is hard to decide whether to be bullish or bearish on the valley. I have family there, and for their sake, I would like to think things will improve, but it seems like the smartest people keep moving away, and the poorer immigrants, many illegals, keep moving in and having large families, lowering the socioeconomic conditions, increasing crime,etc.

Anyhow, what do you all think? And no, I am not looking for slams from coastal Californians who would never live in Merced in a million years. We all know that Merced is not Marin or San Diego. For me, a middle aged, middle class guy who was sideswiped by the bubble, and has zero equity, those places are simply not attainable (I could not get the 20% down payment or pay off a $450k home in the rest of my life). Hence the Valley or other marginal areas are the only options in Cal. I am looking for thoughtful assessments of the future from people with reasonable knowledge and interest in the area.
Try looking in Sacramento. Prices are not much higher than Merced, but it's a way bigger city, more cosmopolitan and has much more amenities.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:41 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
Try looking in Sacramento. Prices are not much higher than Merced, but it's a way bigger city, more cosmopolitan and has much more amenities.
I agree with this ^^^^. But from what I hear, competition for academic jobs is pretty fierce....and I'm sure more people would prefer living in Sac. than Merced...so Merced would have less competition....but Sac. would be a nice option if you could get a job in your field there.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:26 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
I am not a big city guy, so personally, I would prefer Merced. However, I was just thinking that Sacramento would be the best place in California for me, if I were to choose to live in an urban area. A lot of jobs around, relatively affordable, and central to all the great places California has to offer.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:42 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,857,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I am not a big city guy, so personally, I would prefer Merced. However, I was just thinking that Sacramento would be the best place in California for me, if I were to choose to live in an urban area. A lot of jobs around, relatively affordable, and central to all the great places California has to offer.
Sacramento is not that big of a city. However, to preface, I grew up in San Francisco, so my standards may be different from yours.

But there are plenty of smaller suburbs around the Sac area that have a small town/semi-rural feel. Look into places like Fair Oaks, Orangevale, Lincoln, Loomis, etc. That way, you can live in a place with a small town feel and have access to urban amenities that you won't in Merced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California