Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 01:14 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,627,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Actually 'burning petroleum" was only in its infancy last century when you consider the technological advances and demand driving the world economy for the next 100 years. No one alive on this board today will most likely see a more productive form of energy in use for daily lives.

Your statement will actually be more appropriate most likely in 2112.

Hydrocarbons powering your world for at least the next 100 years.
Burning oil is incredibly destructive. The health impacts nationwide and world wide from burning oil and coal are serious.

Burning vast quantities of anything, is not conducive to entities that breathe.

I understand that there are those who are locked into oil. They are the great grandchildren of the legislators that required a man on foot with a red lamp to walk in front of motor cars to warn horses many years ago.

But, as someone once said, oil is to valuable to burn, and too destructive. The non burning uses of petroleum are vast, and will likely increase.

Last edited by .highnlite; 01-24-2012 at 01:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 01:19 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,403,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Burning oil is incredibly destructive. The health impacts nationwide and world wide from burning oil and coal is serious.

I understand that there are those who are locked into oil. They are the great grandchildren of the legislators that required a man on foot with a red lamp to walk in front of motor cars to warn horses many years ago.

But, as someone once said, oil is to valuable to burn, and too destructive. The non burning uses of petroleum are vast, and will likely increase.
Hold on to the oil, then sell it to them at very high prices when oil is scarce globally. Drill Baby Drill is a waste of future profit.

Edit: Nevermind. The oil companies are all HQed in Texas so they'll get all the profits.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:25 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,403,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Corporate offices / headquarters ... largely based on tradition ... but also favored state taxation and other perks?
I think it's mostly tradition. Even Dallas has much less of the oil industry than Houston, even though it's a nicer place to live.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:12 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,526,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
No, hydrocarbons will NOT power the world for the next 100 years ... regardless of availability ... the downcurve in use will arc over within the next 20 years, at best, and then the drop off will be precipitous. Like going over a cliff. Among other reasons, while the power potential in gasoline, for instance, is immense for given volume, efficiency of power use will drive innovation from here on out, making the need for massive, explosive power far less common. Hydrocarbon power will continue to drive only explosive requirements -- and most transportation will not require such wasteful fireworks.

Unfortunately, I suspect nuclear power will soar in creating the electricity appetite to power the future.

What we all really need, of course, is to stop fooling ourselves that we need hardly any external power to begin with. But that goes back to my foundational arguments for everything -- so I'll just stop. Homo sapiens are hell-bent for self-destruction and that's just the way it is.

Ted
Or at least getting away from centralized distribution, eg roof-top panels instead of solar farms.

Also, maybe now's the time for CA to finally join the rest of the world and impose an oil severance tax.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:20 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,502,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Burning oil is incredibly destructive. The health impacts nationwide and world wide from burning oil and coal are serious.

Agreed but that is not the reality of the World's current energy situation.

I'd love nothing better than to fill up my trucks and equipment with the garden hose getting the same performance and efficiency as petrol but its not going to happen anytime soon. Again at least 100 years before anything can fully replace oil's dominance.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:23 PM

110 posts, read 293,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Agreed but that is not the reality of the World's current energy situation.

I'd love nothing better than to fill up my trucks and equipment with the garden hose getting the same performance and efficiency as petrol but its not going to happen anytime soon. Again at least 100 years before anything can fully replace oil's dominance.
I disagree. I think electricity will be competitive for much transportation in the next 20 years. The Chevy Volt at half its current price would be a great deal for many consumers just based on the lower operating costs. Battery technology is advancing faster. Lighter-weight materials and smarter computers are already contributing to increasing fuel efficiency. Adding greater battery capacity is the next big step.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:48 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,837,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghall00 View Post
I disagree. I think electricity will be competitive for much transportation in the next 20 years. The Chevy Volt at half its current price would be a great deal for many consumers just based on the lower operating costs. Battery technology is advancing faster. Lighter-weight materials and smarter computers are already contributing to increasing fuel efficiency. Adding greater battery capacity is the next big step.
Yes, in a significant measure ...
That said: I actually sorta-kinda-partially mis-wrote earlier when I stated that "hydrocarbons will NOT power the world for the next 100 years" ... what I should have written was that refined petroleum hydrocarbons will NOT power the world ... T. Boone Pickens is on to something with his new focus on natural gas ... and liquified petroleum will also continue to expand in use as petroleum will shift more away from refinement for burning, it will still have huge application in other products and manufacturing and thus LP, as its byproduct will continue to be widely captured. CNG and propane will combine with electricity for hybrid applications ... solar-electric will be significant but probably lag behind CNG and LP applications for quite a long time.

Tech is now already being driven by the information age diversion-from-reality mania (communications and games and toys, oh my!)-- and by greater efficiencies of every kind of energy. Explosive energy will have an increasingly lower rate of growth and then will fall back fast. We just don't need much of it. It was cheap and easy and impressive. Now its not.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:50 PM

36,628 posts, read 67,146,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Hold on to the oil, then sell it to them at very high prices when oil is scarce globally. Drill Baby Drill is a waste of future profit.

Edit: Nevermind. The oil companies are all HQed in Texas so they'll get all the profits.
Chevron is HQed in California.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:12 PM

844 posts, read 2,092,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
The numbers seem to indicate that offshore drilling isn't worth the risk involved.
Circular explanation.

And... what "risk"?

Old 01-24-2012, 05:30 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,502,350 times
De-nile is a river in Egypt people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: