Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 07:02 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,145,312 times

Advertisements

Apparently the Governor is considering allowing pet shelters to kill animals at a faster pace, reducing the cost of the shelters:

According to recent media reports, Gov. Jerry Brown is planning to propose a repeal of key provisions of a 1998 law written by legendary political activist and former State Sen. Tom Hayden to protect shelter animals in California from premature euthanasia and increase their chances for adoption.

Calitics:: Tom Hayden Asks Governor Brown Not to Repeal Protections for Shelter Animals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 10:23 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,563,976 times
I'm torn on this one.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:58 AM

37,077 posts, read 42,043,953 times
Quote:
I'm torn on this one.
So am I. I read this: No Kill: Hayden Law, Overcrowding California Animal Shelters (Graphic Video) and see that something that sounds cute and fluffy like "no kill shelters" can have a domino effect that leads to something even worse. It's difficult for some people to understand that.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:02 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,140,276 times
This will be interesting to follow...

Maybe a proposition of sorts is in order... Fees for license of pets should be increased to cover costs, also mandatory neuter/spay, and steep fines for those that do not comply without a breeders license.

Really it is up to pet owners, if they want to cough up the extra money...

..Those that want no kill shelters, better get out the check book and start sending money in now!

Old 01-25-2012, 07:56 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,145,312 times
It isn't a matter of "no kill" shelters.

What the issue is concerns duration before killing an animal. As I understand it, current California law requires a 6 day hold period and that the shelters be open evenings and/or weekends so working folks can go and adopt an animal (or find their lost pet).

This change would reduce the hold period to only 72 hours, and eliminate the weekend/evening requirement.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:31 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,140,276 times
OK I understand... But still looks like a funding issue, need to raise the money to keep the animals longer and have staff on weekends....

Pet lovers need to get out their pocket books and send some money to the state.....

Old 01-25-2012, 08:46 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,364,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
This will be interesting to follow...

Maybe a proposition of sorts is in order... Fees for license of pets should be increased to cover costs, also mandatory neuter/spay, and steep fines for those that do not comply without a breeders license.

Really it is up to pet owners, if they want to cough up the extra money...

..Those that want no kill shelters, better get out the check book and start sending money in now!
Why stop with pets. If you like regulations so much, why not include children?

Old 01-25-2012, 08:47 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,325,455 times
I think a 6 day hold is fair, but anything less should not be considered and yes, those who are true animal lovers need to get their pocket books out, especially if you live in Ca.

Nita

Old 01-25-2012, 09:01 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,443,613 times
Since I dont share alot of the "i love these furry, cuddly puppies and kittens" sentiment that alot of you seem to have, i'll throw this out there.
You want to save $$ on the shelters? Instead of tax payers coughing up more $$ to house and put the animals down take advantage of the large Hmong/Cambodian/Vietnamese/Laotian population in California and sell or give the unwanted animals to them!!! KimChi anyone?? I'm not cruel. Just practical. 2 weeks ago I had to put my horse down. Why waste it? My dogs have to eat too. So I had the horse processed into dog food. Wait for it Curmudgeon! The vitriol is coming!! But I guess I cant really expect city folk to understand us old Ozark/Smokie Ridge Runners can I?

Old 01-25-2012, 09:09 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,853,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Why stop with pets. If you like regulations so much, why not include children?
I have long felt it strange that society, growing at an unsustainable rate, should charge for children rather than give tax breaks ... little crumb-crunching curtain climbers are taking over the world without knowing how to get the job done ... we need about 90% fewer people on this planet.

Dogs, I don't mind a bit. Kids?

Father of four (oops)
(okay folks -- it's a spoof post -- and I have been warned before that you gotta say so or a lot of people can't see it ... ) (but then again ..... )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California