Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 10:49 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,642,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If the OP made wise decisions (with her money or anything else) she probably wouldn't be a single mom in the first place.
Holy Cowabunga, she could be a single mom because the man she loved was KIA Iraq, or Cancer, or hit by a drunk.. Why on earth would anyone think she is single because of bad decisions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 02:36 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,802,306 times
To the OP I think you really need to research. I am not that familiar with CA but I moved from MI so not far from OH. I came from one of the most expensive areas in MI and in no way is it near as costly as CA. Now I know CA is huge so it will vary but I think regardless the move is going to cost you a lot. I would say living expenses could be double what you are paying now in many areas.
Do you have savings,career do you have, child care? Since you are researching the west coast do you know anyone in any state that you could go visit to see what it is like?

Old 01-29-2012, 03:27 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,254,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelymama83 View Post
I currently reside in the midwest , an have grown tired of what this city& has to offer.... I am trying to research what are the best places to move on the west coast? With a family? Low crime rate,good schools, and pretty affordable ....
Check into Carmichael. It's a small city/town outside of Sacramento. A friend of mine left Oregon and bought a house there and she is very, very happy with her new life.

The only issue I have with the Sacramento area is the distance from many other areas in the state. But if you love mountains and hiking, and even snow, it's a much shorter distance to those.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:34 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,835,918 times
And if you like poor air quality, hot, hot in the summer and a lack of (though it's subjective) the kind of beauty other parts of California have in abundance.
I do not understand why someone would move from Ohio to the central valley of California.
I mean, for what?
If there's nothing like necessity of job and there are no family and / or friends there, it doesn't make sense imo.
Sacramento, etc. probably won't fulfill the wishes of someone who is wanting to get out of Ohio and live in California.
But i dunno ... it seems that the o.p. has abandoned the thread.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:46 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,853,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
To the OP I think you really need to research. I am not that familiar with CA but I moved from MI so not far from OH. I came from one of the most expensive areas in MI and in no way is it near as costly as CA. Now I know CA is huge so it will vary but I think regardless the move is going to cost you a lot. I would say living expenses could be double what you are paying now in many areas.
Do you have savings,career do you have, child care? Since you are researching the west coast do you know anyone in any state that you could go visit to see what it is like?
California food costs double that of Ohio food?
Gasoline in California costs $7 a gallon?
Utilities cost twice in California what they do in Ohio?
Clothing in California costs double that in Ohio?
Insurance costs double compared?
Hard goods like: cars, computers, cell phones, pots 'n pans, towels, trash cans, lawnmowers, washers and dryers, bicycles ...... all cost 2x in California what they cost in Ohio?

I did not know that.

Check rents in the areas of interest. Other than that: life in America. The only two places in the country that have drastically different costs for food and hard goods and gas and utilities are: Alaska and Hawaii.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:46 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,642,757 times
Quote:
I would say living expenses could be double what you are paying now in many areas.
I don't get these kinds of statements. upon what facts are they based?

Old 01-29-2012, 05:11 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,953,769 times
I love the fact that she said she is "not that familiar with California ..." then proceeded to tell the OP that everything on our state is double what you would pay everywhere else.

But hey - if this tactic works on keeping people out of CA, thus preventing further over-crowding ... I'm all for it!!!

Old 01-29-2012, 05:35 PM

Perhaps she was referring to the cost of a rental which certainly can be double (and even more than double) that of many, many places in the U.S..

Old 01-29-2012, 05:43 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,359,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Perhaps she was referring to the cost of a rental which certainly can be double (and even more than double) that of many, many places in the U.S..
Which is most people's single largest monthly expense. Its not as trivial as the cost of apples doubling.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Which is most people's single largest monthly expense. Its not as trivial as the cost of apples doubling.
Absolutely ... whether buying or renting, it's housing that is the issue.
Everything else is relatively trivial.
Although gas prices are certainly quite high in California and if someone is commuting long distances everyday and has a gas guzzling vehicle, that's a consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California