Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 12:31 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,837,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Regardless of their reasons, the fact is that illegals are producing new poverty stricken citizens that we're then obligated to support. Sorry, we have enough poor people in this country already without another country making more for us.
I wasn't addressing the issue of illegal immigration ... we have addressed that many times before and will continue to, I expect.

In this case I was addressing a specific fallacy that is repeated by ignorant people too lazy and / or incompetent to educate themselves in the true issues -- but excitable and energetic enough to throw around hysterical, hyperbolic lies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 12:41 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,627,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The rich who return are not having the "anchors". The term "anchor" is just like a boat anchor that you throw out and then using that anchor you stay put and start bringing the others in.

Those who go home aren't trying to anchor themselves here.
And neither is anyone else.

The whole anchor baby myth was started by a news series on the rich Mexicans flying here to have their babies born under US medical care.

The rightwing whacko pundits took that, distorted it and applied it to the Campesinos that come here to do the work, you don't want to do.

The Right Wing Whackos, tend not to think in the higher levels of Bloom's taxonomy, and are fine with belief, no matter how wrong it is.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:31 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,477,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Agreed. My CA dream is long gone. Lived there, went broke. I was steadfast and tried very hard and simply could not make it. I have no education, I'm a laborer, maybe its easier for those with degrees. My friend in Avila has a 7+ year USC masters and is working in retail for 8.75hr living with her parent. It's brutal out there but millions of people are living there so I must have just failed.
But hey atleast Indiana is there to welcome you back with open arms and provide you with jobs
Also JC76 glad you got out when you did California will be shaken like a Milkshake soon around LA.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:51 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,760,092 times
You forgot the "fall into the ocean" part. People from flyover country always include that.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:28 AM

30,855 posts, read 36,746,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Hmmm so California was better during the 80's when crime rates were high, pollution was higher and the cities were more rundown?

Yess
People do wax nostalgic for the past...that's true. Some things have improved. But as for crime, it has dropped in many areas of the country, not just California. The same holds true for pollution.

But what truly has changed since the 1980s is that the state is less affordable than it was for someone earning the state's median income. Also, while taxes are the same or higher than they've been in the past, there are fewer and fewer services for the taxes we're paying.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:09 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,627,860 times
Quote:
But what truly has changed since the 1980s is that the state is less affordable than it was for someone earning the state's median income
These statements baffle me. What aside from some areas housing costs is less affordable than the 1980's?

Old 01-29-2012, 07:12 PM

5 posts, read 18,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kurtz View Post
Kalifornian's Head Honcho Gov. Schwarzenegger
We have a new head honcho in California now. Gov. Jerry Brown took office January 3, 2011. He previously held the position from 1975-1983. Hopefully, he can restore some sort of dignity to the state.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:45 PM

11,054 posts, read 16,751,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Using the excuse that Californian is an economic train wreck is playing the victim. Lots of jobs out there, both my wife and I retired, and invented jobs we enjoy, and there you go.

There are also plenty of farm labor jobs.

I don't do excuses.
^ This.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:18 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,685,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
This is a bit of a vent.

I'm getting sort of tired of telling people who are down on their luck "back East" and wanting to "escape" to CA, that this is probably not where they want to move to.

I can well remember the 1980s - all those rusted out "back East" cars showing up with PA, NJ, MI, IL (etc, etc) plates. At that time, that was a good move. Relatively speaking (especially '83 - '87) we had lots of good MANUFACTURING jobs (and many good low level technology jobs). Many a former tool maker or auto employee found good work here.

THOSE DAYS ARE GONE FOREVER. We have the 2nd worst unemployment in the US, and meanwhile, other than areas in the country, exurbs and other places with long commutes, high crime, lots of foreclosures, no jobs, etc, prices here have not relaxed all that much. It is still very expensive. A really bad combo - poor work prospects and high cost of living.

Unless you have at least a bachelors, lots of cash, and, a really, really good plan, DO NOT ... I repeat ... DO NOT consider these your greener pastures.
Well, I have to say that I understand what you are saying. I wanted to leave this place in 2006 because I was frustrated with the way of life here. I do agree with the expense part because CA is still too expensive for a middle class person. I also agree that the years 1983-1987 were great. It used to be safer for kids to be out in the street those days. Now, you can't do that anymore. In 1983, you could rent a 2 bedroom and 2 bath apartment in a nice area for really cheap. Now, those areas are at least 3 times more expensive.

And people should not be in denial about this: the job market here is pretty bad. You have to be lucky to work for someone else here. CA does have good natural beauty and lots of different geographical landscapes among other things. There is some good left here because I choose to try to be positive. but I also have to point out the reality. And lastly, 70 degree weather does not pay your expenses but a decent paying job will. With the amount of people living here it is going to be harder for people to find jobs.
Good informative post.

Last edited by AliveandWell; 01-29-2012 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 01-30-2012, 03:55 PM

844 posts, read 2,092,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
The whole anchor baby myth was started by a news series on the rich Mexicans flying here to have their babies born under US medical care.

The rightwing whacko pundits took that, distorted it and applied it to the Campesinos that come here to do the work, you don't want to do.

The Right Wing Whackos, tend not to think in the higher levels of Bloom's taxonomy, and are fine with belief, no matter how wrong it is.
Do you even live in CA? You are so far from the truth that it's embarrassing I would guess that, based upon this post, you have not been outside the house in 40 years... or are really living in Kentucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California