Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 09:08 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,542,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Hmmm so California was better during the 80's when crime rates were high, pollution was higher and the cities were more rundown?

Yess
LOL yeah go figure. These fools are dreaming about a past that never existed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 09:31 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,624,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Do I ever know THIS feeling. When I was about to be homeless and penniless I came back home to the Midwest and had quite a few very older family members talking sh*t behind my back of how I should have stayed in CA (San Luis Obispo). How I didn't try hard enough, well who knows maybe they are right, but I am 110% satisfied knowing how damn hard I tried to find stable work, and how fierce the competition is VS 1956 when these people talking about me had friends moving out to CA and building nice comfortable lives with no education. As the.OP said, those days are over. I've experienced it, but maybe one day the California Dream will be attainable again for the average Joe, can't be hopeless but can.easily be homeless.
An anecdote, #1 daughter moves to SLO county in 2008 for school.
Job #1, Avila Gardens, waitress, within a few months she moves over to that great restaurant in Avila Beach, within 4 months, she is a manager there,
6 months late she moves to front desk at a distributor, 2 months later she is in accounting at that firm.
Firm goes belly up, one of the principals forms another company, asks her to come in to handle the books, she does.

During this time, she has an apartment in Avila, and buys a new Subaru, so whatever her income was, it was sufficient to have a good life, and a good time.

She wanted more money so she takes a second job for a high end caterer.

full time job, weekend job

All this while going to school full time.

She was able to do this because she is highly mentally organized and works her tail off.

Now, her mother and I, retired with meagre Nevada pensions, relocated to the coast. We needed to supplement our incomes, she invented a new job, and stays happily busy at it. I bought a backhoe loader and hire out for jobs, I work up to maybe 3 days a week, and fiddle around with my hobbies the rest of the time.

The world you have is the world you make.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:22 AM

653 posts, read 940,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
I'm just dumbfounded by your posts. You say this as if your move to Florida was to escape all those faults you claim California has. Yet its unemployment rate is one of the worst if the nations (only marginally better than ours). The foreclosure rate in many Florida cities would rival the Central Valley towns here, its had explosive growth for decades and is as densely populated (20 million in a state not much bigger than SoCal and most people on a narrow coastal strips - just like here). Plus "for your health's sake" Florida has a worse health metric in almost every way than California (especially obesity). The violent crime rate is much higher than California in spite of the incarceration rate being higher. One could argue your choice of where to move after leaving California wasn't "smart".

I know one can cherry pick statistics and what I'm trying to point out is that no place is perfect. Florida is an amazing, interesting state with lots of recreational opportunities. So is California. As I said in my previous post every place has its pluses and minuses and you have to weigh whats important to you. You've found a place you really enjoy and that's great. It doesn't make those of us who live here (and love it) idiots. Different strokes and all.

Oh, forgot to mention Florida's 90 degrees and 90 percent humidity in the summer and flying roaches you could saddle up and ride.
I couldn't have said it better myself. To each their own. No city is for everyone, so I get so sick of hearing people on C-D and IRL knock a city.

As long as you are happy with your choice (be it CA, FL, or anywhere in between), that's all that matters.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:48 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,218,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kurtz View Post
I am not political. I am independent. Voted once in my life, for Ross Perot - 1993.

And THAT my friend is what we call being part of the problem. There's also the old saw that, "If you don't vote, don't complain about the outcome."

Old 01-26-2012, 11:48 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,532,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
But women have been all but given equal rights to education and employment in this society. This is a great product of the feminist movement.

Some women have also become confused, told they have to be beautiful, be the best girlfriend/sister, best wife, best career-driven individual. As a result, some women that may not even be physically attractive become "emboldened" and arrogant because they feel like they have to communicate an aura and presence of power. This can transcend into negative treatment of husbands. It's not misogynist to call some women fearless, at least in the way they act; it's literally true.
Yes, exactly! I know a bunch of girls that are like this and as a result think they can act really stupid. As a result, they bring things upon themselves that they really didn't have to. For instance, once I saw one of my friend's girlfriends literally go up to a limo driver who wasn't doing anything and start mouthing off to him, because "guys deserve it"...and then that evening tried to get a restraining order against him. (I don't think those two stayed together too long after that, lol.) It's not saying that wives should cower in fear of their husbands.

The poster obviously isn't saying all females are like this, just like it's not saying that all children are mannerless.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:00 PM

258 posts, read 612,402 times
Kalifornians enjoy driving 3 hours ( each way ) to work Mon - Fri at 5AM .... and again at 5PM. You arrive home at 8PM. Go to sleep at 11PM. Wake up at 4AM .... for 25 years. ..... After 25 years at Boeing, then what ? Ok, so you own a small paid for home in Reseda. The wife is now big and she complains all the time. Now you're stuck with a little pension and SS and you're to deep in to divorce Big Bertha .... Now what? Will you spend a month in Italy? Will you pass a few weeks in Maui playing Golf ... ? Will you buy that aute Adobe outside of Cancun? Will you visit the B & B in Vancouver? Any chance of having another passionate relationship with a younger, more attractive woman? The answer is NO.

Smart folks call this: Modern Day Slavery

Some people get it ... Most people dont

How sad .....

Old 01-26-2012, 12:10 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,677,064 times
Quote:
Blame that on your Fornicated Gov. Shwarzenegger ... An uneducated immigrant steroid abused Actor turned Politico. I wondered how much Tax Money Schwarzenegger spent on his Mexican Lover Women ? I heard $3M was paid to numerous hispanic women bedded by the Gov. And he left the State of Kalifornia in complete diseray.

I feel sorry for Kalifornians.

How sad ....
It took more than Arnie to bring this beautiful state into the sewer. It took many decades of parasites and liberal policies to help it along. It has become a nanny state and a third world country in the making. If you need welfare, then come to CA and bring all your bastard children along so they can get on Medicade and Healthy Baby insurance take care of them. Arnold is the bi product of the insanity that Hollywood has contributed and how he made into the gov's mansion was his Kennedy connections certainly not his brains, lol. Gov Brown will serve the state about as well as Arnold did.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:21 PM

672 posts, read 805,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I don't think so. As someone who lived in CA for 20 plus years when I took my car in they also looked at your tire treads and tested your brakes. Every other year you had to get an inspection.

There was more to the test then just seeing if you passed the smog check.

And in the LA area they would also do stops(similar to DUI stops) checking to see if drivers had car insurance.

In CA an uninsured motorist is having their car towed. End of story.

In FL they get a ticket and drive off, which is why an estimated 40% of FL drivers have no car insurance. There is no real incentive to have insurance as they never lose their car. Which is why FL is #1 in hit and runs.

If you have a car crash in FL, even if it's not your fault you need to be fully covered, because everything goes against YOUR policy. Including medical costs....it goes against your coverage, not the person who hit you.

FL is by no means a low stress state. Oh, and they're also allowed to bring guns to work, just leave em in your car....yeah low stress....LOL.
Actually this whole post is bull. I never had my tires checked. Was stopped without proof of insurance and issued a ticket. Had to bring proof of insurance a month later that covered the time period or pay a $400. fine to the clerk. You receive a ticket here and drive off too. Why make up crap? I have nothing bad to state about where I live but let's not make junk up.

Never had mandatory inspections on anything else on the car. Who are you kidding?

By the way, I did have insurance just not proof with me.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:35 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,938,650 times
Quote:
I am not political. I am independent. Voted once in my life, for Ross Perot - 1993.

About Being Liberal on The Left Coast: It's common knowledge that Jews & Gays and all of So. Cal's TV & Film Media Empire is liberal in extreme zealot ways ... and they control if not all Kalifornia, and the world, thru media / TV & Film.

Wake Up Kalifornia
I get tired of folks that bemoan the Nation but do not participate in the voting process. You have seriously side-stepped your rights as a citizen.

Start voting and maybe you can change things to your liking!

And your tired old refrain about how Hollywood controls the world is such a lame argument. If that were so then why would we need the military? Send Steven Spielburg or George Lucas over to the Middle East to have peace in our time?

And finally, when you use "Jews and Gays" in that manner you are not out to win friends and influence people. Degrading another person or group pushes us ALL away from having peaceful dialogues that could make the World, our Nation a better place. (Cue the music for Kumbaya!)

Old 01-26-2012, 12:52 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,274,772 times
In case anyone is wondering, yes, the following thread is what prompted me to start this thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...ng-change.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California