Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 12:56 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,274,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
LOL yeah go figure. These fools are dreaming about a past that never existed.
This thread specifically addresses a certain market segment. That segment used to come here in the 80s (and a bit into the 90s) for work.

You and others are way off into the weeds.

I am trying to help those in the Rust Belt with their decision making.

They probably heard this is the place to come, from members of their parents' generation, who came way back when.

I am simply presenting a sanity check.

Got a problem with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 01:01 PM

258 posts, read 612,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
It took more than Arnie to bring this beautiful state into the sewer. It took many decades of parasites and liberal policies to help it along. It has become a nanny state and a third world country in the making. If you need welfare, then come to CA and bring all your bastard children along so they can get on Medicade and Healthy Baby insurance take care of them. Arnold is the bi product of the insanity that Hollywood has contributed and how he made into the gov's mansion was his Kennedy connections certainly not his brains, lol. Gov Brown will serve the state about as well as Arnold did.
FINALLY .... A Native Kalifornian gets it !!!!!!

God Bless you, Sir.

Thanks for Telling the TRUTH

Old 01-26-2012, 01:14 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,502,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post
Actually this whole post is bull. I never had my tires checked. Was stopped without proof of insurance and issued a ticket. Had to bring proof of insurance a month later that covered the time period or pay a $400. fine to the clerk. You receive a ticket here and drive off too. Why make up crap? I have nothing bad to state about where I live but let's not make junk up.

Never had mandatory inspections on anything else on the car. Who are you kidding?

By the way, I did have insurance just not proof with me.
No it's not bull. You may have gotten away with just a ticket because of what you said to the officer and the fact that you actually had insurance.

He/She gave you a ticket which you didn't have to pay once you actually proved you had coverage.

That's a different subject. I'm talking about someone driving around with NO COVERAGE.

If you have no car insurance and you are stopped for some reason(speeding) and you have no car insurance your car will be impounded.

The car is taken to an impound lot and the driver has to purchase insurance, go the DMV and show proof of insurance, get a release from DMV for the impound lot, pay ticket and impound fees, and they get the car back.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:33 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,580,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
In case anyone is wondering, yes, the following thread is what prompted me to start this thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...ng-change.html
Would the person in question be better off moving to a lot of places? Nope, I can say that South Florida would not be any better a location for someone with no college education, in-demand skills or experience. We like CA have our fair share of transients, with stars in their eyes, but I think CA takes the cake on that one.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:39 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,938,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
No it's not bull. You may have gotten away with just a ticket because of what you said to the officer and the fact that you actually had insurance.

He/She gave you a ticket which you didn't have to pay once you actually proved you had coverage.

That's a different subject. I'm talking about someone driving around with NO COVERAGE.

If you have no car insurance and you are stopped for some reason(speeding) and you have no car insurance your car will be impounded.

The car is taken to an impound lot and the driver has to purchase insurance, go the DMV and show proof of insurance, get a release from DMV for the impound lot, pay ticket and impound fees, and they get the car back.
Well maybe you get your car back. A friend was recently stopped at a redlight,,sitting hummming when WHAMMMMMM! Rearended by a car with 4 guys in it. He gets out goes to exchange licenses and give the driver a talking to. The 4 short guys in backwards baseball caps,jeans and plaid shirts pile out and commence to run in four different directions,,,,

The cop arrives checks over the abandoned car and finds it is not registered or insured. The "boys" are nowhere in sight and the car is towed to impound. My friend has no recourse but to use his own insurance to fix his car and thereby have his own insurance rates elevated. The price of unlicensed and uninsured motorists. When you havre no skin in the game the "good" guys get hosed.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:41 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,309,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
Would the person in question be better off moving to a lot of places? Nope, I can say that South Florida would not be any better a location for someone with no college education, in-demand skills or experience. We like CA have our fair share of transients, with stars in their eyes, but I think CA takes the cake on that one.
No where is GREAT for people with little education or skills, but the high cost ones are certainly worse choices.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:58 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,833,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
I get tired of folks that bemoan the Nation but do not participate in the voting process. You have seriously side-stepped your rights as a citizen.

Start voting and maybe you can change things to your liking!

And your tired old refrain about how Hollywood controls the world is such a lame argument. If that were so then why would we need the military? Send Steven Spielburg or George Lucas over to the Middle East to have peace in our time?

And finally, when you use "Jews and Gays" in that manner you are not out to win friends and influence people. Degrading another person or group pushes us ALL away from having peaceful dialogues that could make the World, our Nation a better place. (Cue the music for Kumbaya!)
Dean! You're killin'me here! and the rep button is just stuck stuck stuck ... fusserating. Why indeed would we need the military?! "Send Steven Spielburg or George Lucas over to the Middle East to have peace in our time" Killin' me dude ... stop it

Old 01-26-2012, 02:01 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,833,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
This thread specifically addresses a certain market segment. That segment used to come here in the 80s (and a bit into the 90s) for work.

You and others are way off into the weeds.

I am trying to help those in the Rust Belt with their decision making.

They probably heard this is the place to come, from members of their parents' generation, who came way back when.

I am simply presenting a sanity check.

Got a problem with that?
No, officer.
But can I please have my (humor) license back now?
I promise to be more careful in the future -- when I drive to Pittsburgh.
(tears always help when one is apprehended)

Old 01-26-2012, 02:19 PM

577 posts, read 1,754,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kurtz View Post
Kalifornians enjoy driving 3 hours ( each way ) to work Mon - Fri at 5AM .... and again at 5PM. You arrive home at 8PM. Go to sleep at 11PM. Wake up at 4AM .... for 25 years. ..... After 25 years at Boeing, then what ? Ok, so you own a small paid for home in Reseda. The wife is now big and she complains all the time. Now you're stuck with a little pension and SS and you're to deep in to divorce Big Bertha .... Now what? Will you spend a month in Italy? Will you pass a few weeks in Maui playing Golf ... ? Will you buy that aute Adobe outside of Cancun? Will you visit the B & B in Vancouver? Any chance of having another passionate relationship with a younger, more attractive woman? The answer is NO.

Smart folks call this: Modern Day Slavery

Some people get it ... Most people dont

How sad .....
Not sure what state Kalifornia is but have lived in California all my life, mostly northern but some years in southern. Never have I or anyone I know had a 3 hour commute. My longest commute was 30 minutes and that's because it was 30 miles away. The funny thing about this thread is if you don't live here, you think everyone lives by the beach or Hollyweird because of what you know from TV. Like someone else pointed out.. CA is a big state, plenty of rednecks here. Also lots of middle income people living here that arent living above their means, actually a great place to buy a home now if you have a job as it's a buyer's market. If you don't have a job .. not so much. I lost my job in April... I've been surviving, you have to have some drive and be creative to survive anywhere these days.. but it can be done in CA and I certainly don't pay much for heat and the wear and tear on my car is minimal... all things that can add up in some other states where it might be considered "cheaper"

Old 01-26-2012, 06:13 PM

457 posts, read 753,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Hmmm so California was better during the 80's when crime rates were high, pollution was higher and the cities were more rundown?

Yess
And when it was not the tech giant..Got it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California