Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 03:32 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,292,976 times

Advertisements

This is a bit of a vent.

I'm getting sort of tired of telling people who are down on their luck "back East" and wanting to "escape" to CA, that this is probably not where they want to move to.

I can well remember the 1980s - all those rusted out "back East" cars showing up with PA, NJ, MI, IL (etc, etc) plates. At that time, that was a good move. Relatively speaking (especially '83 - '87) we had lots of good MANUFACTURING jobs (and many good low level technology jobs). Many a former tool maker or auto employee found good work here.

THOSE DAYS ARE GONE FOREVER. We have the 2nd worst unemployment in the US, and meanwhile, other than areas in the country, exurbs and other places with long commutes, high crime, lots of foreclosures, no jobs, etc, prices here have not relaxed all that much. It is still very expensive. A really bad combo - poor work prospects and high cost of living.

Unless you have at least a bachelors, lots of cash, and, a really, really good plan, DO NOT ... I repeat ... DO NOT consider these your greener pastures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 04:03 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,231,403 times
These are not the droids you're looking for either.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:11 PM

258 posts, read 612,830 times
Don't worry Mr. Hillbilly .... I have zero desire to live in a state filled with ' living high on the hog people ' and ' what you drive is what you are '. If I had stayed in L.A. I'd still be a slave to money ... Now, I live on the Beach in FLORIDA .... Traveling to exotic locales, new hobbies, new firends, way less stress ... all year round warm climate. I'm typing this looking out over the Atlantic Ocean ... Clear blue & green water, white sand ... Tonight I'll go walking, in shorts and t-shirt on the soft white sand - no crowds.

Schwarzenegger ran your state down the sh*tter ....

I feel sorry for anyone residing in Kalifornia, today.

Peace

Last edited by Mr.Kurtz; 01-25-2012 at 04:45 PM..

Old 01-25-2012, 04:14 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,447,042 times
Agreed. My CA dream is long gone. Lived there, went broke. I was steadfast and tried very hard and simply could not make it. I have no education, I'm a laborer, maybe its easier for those with degrees. My friend in Avila has a 7+ year USC masters and is working in retail for 8.75hr living with her parent. It's brutal out there but millions of people are living there so I must have just failed.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:17 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,633,622 times
I dunno bout that. 76 degrees here on the awful Koast of California, wife and daughter went to the beach at Avila today, $8.75 an hour and Avila Beach is better than $110,000 a year in some megaslobopolis. I took a spin on the moto yesterday. The grass is coming up green on the hills (those are dirt and rock things that rise up from the ambient ground level, they ain't got them in Florider, so figured I would define my term), oranges are ripe on the trees, the brussels sprouts are about ready for a fourth picking.

Saturday there was fresh snow on the west wall of the Sierra rising a clear and sparkling 10,000 feet above the valley floor, ain't got that in Florida either. no snow, no sierra, no 10,000 foot rise to sit back and marvel at.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:19 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,330,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I dunno bout that. 76 degrees here on the awful Koast of California, wife and daughter went to the beach today. I took a spin on the moto yesterday. The grass is coming up green on the hills (those are dirt and rock things that rise up from the ambient ground level, they ain't got them in Florider, so figured I would define my term), oranges are ripe on the trees, the brussels sprouts are about ready for a fourth picking.

Saturday there was fresh snow on the west wall of the Sierra rising a clear and sparkling 10,000 feet above the valley floor, ain't got that in Florida either. no snow, no sierra, no 10,000 foot rise to sit back and marvel at.
All that's nice, but doesn't matter to someone who's out of work because the state's an economic train wreck.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:49 PM

258 posts, read 612,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
.... Doesn't matter to someone who's out of work because the state's an Economic Train Wreck.
Blame that on your Fornicated Gov. Shwarzenegger ... An uneducated immigrant steroid abused Actor turned Politico. I wondered how much Tax Money Schwarzenegger spent on his Mexican Lover Women ? I heard $3M was paid to numerous hispanic women bedded by the Gov. And he left the State of Kalifornia in complete diseray.

I feel sorry for Kalifornians.

How sad ....

Old 01-25-2012, 04:58 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,533,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kurtz View Post
And he left the State of Kalifornia in complete diseray.

I feel sorry for Kalifornians.
What does this misspelling I regularly see when someone is running down the state signify? Can I spell your current state "Phlorida"?

Old 01-25-2012, 05:03 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,831,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Agreed. My CA dream is long gone. Lived there, went broke. I was steadfast and tried very hard and simply could not make it. I have no education, I'm a laborer, maybe its easier for those with degrees. My friend in Avila has a 7+ year USC masters and is working in retail for 8.75hr living with her parent. It's brutal out there but millions of people are living there so I must have just failed.
Nah, no failure.
Just timing i think ... and luck (or lack of it) plays a role.
These are really difficult times in California, the U.S. and the world as a whole.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:08 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,633,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
All that's nice, but doesn't matter to someone who's out of work because the state's an economic train wreck.
Using the excuse that Californian is an economic train wreck is playing the victim. Lots of jobs out there, both my wife and I retired, and invented jobs we enjoy, and there you go.

There are also plenty of farm labor jobs.

I don't do excuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California