U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2012, 09:14 PM

3,038 posts, read 5,658,333 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Ca many (many) years ago.
Long before they put in 5 and it became the preferred route everyone drove HWY 99.
When I was young that highway ran through every community and you stopped within each town at stops signs.
And as memory serves me there was an Orange drink stand of some sort every 5 miles, I just don't remember the name anymore.
Can I assume that HWY 99 has bypassed those towns from Fresno to Bakersfield now?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 10:00 PM

16,758 posts, read 35,749,753 times
It's a true freeway up to Sacto now. No more stop signs. (I too remember those days)

One of those old orange-shaped orange juice stands now sits proudly off Rt 66 in my town of Fontana.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:00 PM

13,707 posts, read 26,371,458 times
They have exits for them, no reason to stop unless you need gas or snacks.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:02 PM

13,707 posts, read 26,371,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
It's a true freeway up to Sacto now. No more stop signs. (I too remember those days)
I seem to remember a stretch up near Merced that de-freeways into a highway here and there, anybody know if that is still the case?

Old 01-25-2012, 10:28 PM

6,390 posts, read 8,189,810 times
Orange Julius weren't they?

Old 01-25-2012, 10:44 PM

16,758 posts, read 35,749,753 times
No, the chain was "Giant Orange". Long gone, but surviving stands remain.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:34 AM

2,511 posts, read 5,528,089 times
They were called "Mammoth Orange." The last one was at Fairmead on the northbound side (east of 99). It closed due to an upgrade project that moved the exit away from the restaurant. The four-lane section was upgraded to interstate specifications, so it limited the exit distances and clearances from whatever is specified for interstates. There were two of them at this location at one time. One on each side of the freeway. During the 80s the one along the southbound lanes was open. It burnt down and the one along the northbound lanes was reopened.

99 is made up of a combination of stretches meeting interstate specification and older divided four-lane stretches from the Feather River at the town of Nicolaus south to where the route is co-signed with I-5 from Grapevine and south. Some sections of the divided four-lane highway stretches are being upgraded to freeway. Especially in Merced County. The last town between Sacramento and Bakersfield that had 99 running through the town with an intersection was Livingston. That intersection had a high accident rate. The upgrade was complete a little after 2000 (I think). You can still drive the former US-99 four lane sections through many towns and cities, and in some cases it is a bit interesting. Many of the cities and towns call this older section Golden State Hwy, or Golden State Blvd and remains a four-lane divided highway paralleling about a tenth of a mile east of the new freeway. One of the better stretches of this is Golden State from Kingsburg and into the south side of Fresno. It is also easy to follow through Turlock and Modesto, but has a different name in some areas.

The stretch formerly called US-99E: This stretch departing I-5 in Sacramento is mainly divided four-lane highway, two-lane, and a few small stretches of freeway through Yuba City and Chico. Two-lane from north of Chico until it opens up into a four-lane city street in Red Bluff. A few years ago a stretch was upgraded to interstate specifications where 99 intersects with 142. Some two-lane stretches are being upgraded to divided four-lane highway, as it has where 99 intersects with 13 south of Yuba City. The two-lane stretches go through Live Oak, Gridely, and Molinas.

The stretch formerly called US-99W is two-lane, parallels I-5 and goes through the towns of Arbuckle, Winters, Willows, Orland and Corning. It is easily found with the "99" in the name (County Hwy 99, Old Hwy 99, or Hwy 99). Some of the towns have "Historic US-99W" signs along the route.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:04 AM

23,599 posts, read 33,342,506 times
Default How is HWY 99 from Fresno to Bakersfield?

Straight!

Old 01-26-2012, 08:42 AM

77,813 posts, read 91,466,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
No, the chain was "Giant Orange". Long gone, but surviving stands remain.
yep, I remember them, I also remember pulling off the hwy and driving about 2 miles out of the way to go to Bob's Big Boy. This was a must when we drove from Marin Co to Los Angeles to visit relatives. We didn't have Bob's in the bay area. I think that was about 5 years ago, am I right? Oh wait, I guess closer to 5 plus 40 years ago.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:26 AM

3,038 posts, read 5,658,333 times
Thanks for the information.
It appears that none of us are quite sure of that orange stand and their name but Orange Giant would get my vote.
It's hell to get old!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California