Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 04:26 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,643,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Regarding SPOT, if I do end up taking one to Idaho this summer it would be only for emergency communication with the outside world. I wouldn't use any of the other features.

Normal

By the way, SPOT uses GPS, of course. So it's pretty ridiculous to criticise GPS while in the same breath advocating the use of SPOT.

Not at all, SPOT is not going to tell you where you are, it has no map feature, It won't waypoint, it won't give you your coordinates whether UTM or Lat and long. It is a rescue beacon, not a navigation tool.

It fills a need that gps doesn't, since it is satellite based it does not require cell service. Everything a gps does can be done by anyone familiar with topo maps and compass, and in fact, compass is discretionary. If you orient your paper map by land marks you do not need a compass in most of North America. Any reasonable 14 year old Boy Scout can replicate the typical functions of a GPS.

You carry the SPOT tucked away in your day pack, turned off, perhaps for years, when you need you light it off, and lie down and wait for the helicopter, which should be there within the hour.

Spot has two handy features which I use, but, arguing with me, rather reduced my interest in helping you out.

SPOT is a different creature altogether.

Here, a book you could read; A friend of mine gave me a copy, saying, looks like you have some competition; My first thought was the guy was a bit of a poseur, being an effete easterner and all; Amazon.com: The Last American Man (9780670030866): Elizabeth Gilbert: Books

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 10:14 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,740,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Dude, GPS's use satellites as well. They are not based on cell service.

Yes of course, topo map and compass can do whatever a GPS can do. I never said otherwise. My point is simply that a GPS is an extra tool which can be useful and make certain things easier and more convenient.

Regarding SPOT, when I said I would only use it as an emergency back up, I mean I'm not going to use the other "check in" features or "email" features. With these features you can send messages to your friends or family letting them know where you are or that you're okay.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:07 PM

7 posts, read 17,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I disagree with your first statement, and I agree with your second as long as some clarification is added.

GPS is certainly useful for normal backpacking and hiking activities. I wouldn't rely on it as the only means of knowing where you are. That's where some people get into trouble, if they blindly depend on it. My attitude is that it should be used in conjuction with other methods.

There are cases where GPS has led people into stupid situations, and there are opposite cases as well. For example, my parents' neighbors are hunters and one time when they were out in middle of nowhere on their 4-wheelers they came across an injured person. They were able to use their GPS to tell the rescue helicopter exactly where there were located which made it super easy for the helicopter to find them.

By the way, I'm not a novice backpacker nor a novice at navigation. The tips people are giving on this thread may be useful to other people, but I'm personally not looking for that type of information. I'm just looking for tips on cool places to backpack in the Sierras as I'm new to California. I have many years of backpacking and camping all over the Rocky mountains from New Mexico up through Idaho.
Not exactly the Sierras but have you looked at the Trinity Alps? That is by far my personal favorite.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:28 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,740,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavingHawaii View Post
Not exactly the Sierras but have you looked at the Trinity Alps?
Haven't yet, but I will. Actually I'm buying a book on California hikes and I remember seeing the Trinity Alps as I flipped through it in the bookstore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California