Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 11:56 PM

46 posts, read 154,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Yes, but where the weather is good the prices are high.
Where the prices are low, even though the weather may be good, the air quality may not be and the access to arts and entertainment will be limited at best.
Are there specific areas that are known for the poor air quality you'd recommend avoiding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 09:44 AM

8,193 posts, read 16,610,645 times
MOD CUT

Deniseld, unfortunately the anonymity of the internet allow some to be more openly rude and think nothing of it. I highly doubt these same things would be said in person to anyone regardless of a person's age, gender, race, etc... Either way don't let it deter you from discovering what is best for your family. Its a free country. I remember when I was planning a move to CO someone on one of the boards was similarly rude. I ignored their plea to stay put and moved to CO. While there I met many friendly ppl both native and transplants from all over as well.

BTW, I work with transplants from all over the nation and world and am happy to have such diversity, even as a native Californian. In fact I think this diversity is one of the things that drew me back to CA.

Derek

Last edited by NewToCA; 02-01-2012 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: quote was from a now deleted posting

Old 02-01-2012, 09:49 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,835,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseld View Post
Thanks so much for your input. I am thinking "no" on Arizona b/c of the extreme heat. When it's 90 and above for a good part of the year it is definitely NOT an option! lol

I'm wondering more about Santa Cruz county. Anyone have some specifics about the area i.e. neighborhoods?
If you have a budget of $900 a month for 2 bedroom rental you're going to be extremely limited and you'll not have the luxury of choice of neighborhoods.
But if you go on craigslist and find an affordable rental, then check back to inquire about the area.

santa cruz co apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

And i second what mtnsurfer said ... ignore the guy although if he comes trolling / flaming on your thread again just report him instead of engaging with him.
It's that little icon with the exclamation mark in the red and white triangle up on the right of the post window.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:04 PM

7,372 posts, read 15,962,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseld View Post
Thanks! Are there any specific towns/cities in the southwest you know of?
Off the top of my head (that's where I keep my ring binder; makes me look taller), here is a list of the nice towns in the Southwest: Prescott, AZ (4 seasons and not Death Valley temps in summer), Flagstaff, AZ (nice university town, but too frickin' cold in winter), Bisbee, AZ (small, trendy, hippie), Silver City, NM (another "offbeat" small town), Santa Fe (pricier and cold in winter), Durango, CO and Telluride, CO (maybe too small for you and too ski oriented).
There are other places that are nice, but a bit more staid. If you can see yourself in any of the above, you'll likely spend less on the big expense of rent or mortgage.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:22 PM

46 posts, read 154,964 times
jaijai & MtnSurfer: Thank you for your kind words regarding that odd post. It got deleted somehow, but not before it got sent to my email. I have to say, it seemed as though that person is the one that is "convoluted" and confused as their email made ABSOLUTELY no sense! lol Being a strong, confident woman, I have no doubt this person wouldn't dare say those things to my face. He would have a big surprise in store for him if he did.

This is my first time posting on any forum and I have been pleasantly surprised, overall, of the kindness of people to take the time to give their input. So thank you again!

Old 02-01-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Off the top of my head (that's where I keep my ring binder; makes me look taller), here is a list of the nice towns in the Southwest: Prescott, AZ (4 seasons and not Death Valley temps in summer), Flagstaff, AZ (nice university town, but too frickin' cold in winter), Bisbee, AZ (small, trendy, hippie), Silver City, NM (another "offbeat" small town), Santa Fe (pricier and cold in winter), Durango, CO and Telluride, CO (maybe too small for you and too ski oriented).
There are other places that are nice, but a bit more staid. If you can see yourself in any of the above, you'll likely spend less on the big expense of rent or mortgage.
Albuquerque?
I've only been there a few times.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:40 PM

7,372 posts, read 15,962,600 times
Quote:
Albuquerque?
I've only been there a few times.
I like Albuquerque, but it has a disproportionate amount of crime for the small city it is. It also has a bohemian area sort of similar to 4th Avenue in Tucson (this is a good thing!).
Rio Rancho is one of the "nicer" communities separated from the rougher elements, but it feels more residential, although I had heard they were planning on making it more community friendly. I haven't been in several years to really have a sense of it nowadays.
I highly recommend Durango, but it's just as cold as Flagstaff.
For warmer weather in winter, Las Cruces is a big enough town, but not really all that exciting. Ruidoso is a mountain town that I like a lot, but it wouldn't wow anyone familiar with dozens of nicer towns all over CA.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:29 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,750,520 times
I'd try Sacramento Area. I bet you could find a reasonable rental there. Home prices are cheap. Sacramento has a few things to do, and it isn't too far from the Bay Area when you are sick of it. You also get the benefit of access to Davis, which is a college town and has lots of extra stuff to do.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I'd try Sacramento Area. I bet you could find a reasonable rental there. Home prices are cheap. Sacramento has a few things to do, and it isn't too far from the Bay Area when you are sick of it. You also get the benefit of access to Davis, which is a college town and has lots of extra stuff to do.
So not to be contentious but deniseld asked about air quality in response to a comment i made about it.
It's often the case that someone with S.A.D. tends to be sensitive to other environmental factors (chemical sensitivity, sensitivity to pollution, etc.) and for that reason i would not recommend Sacramento.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:13 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,945,056 times
Quote:
The regular posters on the CA forum are, generally speaking, quite tolerant.
In fact, i've not encountered one who is not ... at least not openly.
There are a few hanging around lately who have issues but whatever.

I feel most comfortable in communities that are diverse.
I've lived in both.
I'd recommend Santa Cruz county where no one looks twice at anyone no matter how they are expressing themselves (sexually or otherwise) or what color their skin is, etc, etc..
It's a very tolerant place.
I had to smile. You have Santa Cruz as your fav and i love Santa Rosa.
Santa Rosa and surrounding communities are affordable and have lots of sunshine. The growing season is very long and you do have a close proximity to SF. In addition it is quite tolerant. And i could go on and on,,,OH YES! IT is the wine country!

I am not knocking SC as i used to spend many days sunning and surfing but still find it pricey. It is a lovely scenic place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California