Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 07:17 PM

46 posts, read 154,746 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My mother and I live outside Seattle in a community that isn't diverse when it comes to ethnic or lifestyle backgrounds. We love being a 1/2 hour away from Seattle for access to arts & entertainment however everything here has the feeling of "been there, done that" for us.

We both have SAD (seasonal affective disorder) and need to move somewhere with better weather. We don't mind snow but humidity in the summer is definitely not desirable.

We pay $900 for a 2 bedroom apartment and are hoping for comparable rent prices where we move, if possible.

We're considering CA, OR and even CO.

I have spent countless hours on the internet reading posts and feel overwhelmed, to say the least.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 07:27 PM

7,373 posts, read 15,934,199 times
It's all about the job situation. If you can secure a good paying job and afford the higher cost of living, why not?
CA has sunnier, warmer, and drier weather (for most parts when compared to Seattle). How about the other side of the Cascades? Not any more diverse, but isn't it sunnier there?

Old 01-31-2012, 07:27 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,828,191 times
Where in California?
On the coast?
Because $900 a month for a 2 bedroom will not be enough in most coastal areas of CA.
Coastal areas that might be affordable (like the most northern parts of CA) will often lack the sun that you want and jobs are scarce.
I don't know Chico but it's often recommended ... in the mountains and not humid in the summer and it may be affordable.
Other mountain communities in the Sierra and the Sierra foothills may be an option as well.
Also, if you don't mind snow and you don't want humidity there are many, many options in the inter-mountain west and even the southwest that may be good for you.
Parts of Oregon away from the coast are also possibilities.
Why California?

Old 01-31-2012, 07:35 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,938,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseld View Post
I live outside Seattle in a community that isn't diverse when it comes to ethnic or lifestyle backgrounds.
I understand wanting to due to the SAD syndrome.

However, your comment above has me baffled. What is your definition of a "diverse" community and what benefits do you feel you will derive from such a place?

I am curious as so many have asked for in their relocation. Personally, i find the areas i have lived in all over the US to have a patchwork of cultures and people if that is what you are looking for?

Old 01-31-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
It's all about the job situation. If you can secure a good paying job and afford the higher cost of living, why not?
CA has sunnier, warmer, and drier weather (for most parts when compared to Seattle). How about the other side of the Cascades? Not any more diverse, but isn't it sunnier there?
Thanks for your input! Luckily the job situation isn't an issue.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseld View Post
Thanks for your input! Luckily the job situation isn't an issue.
Move to Santa Barbara and enjoy the best city in the U.S., if you can swing it.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:41 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,828,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Move to Santa Barbara and enjoy the best city in the U.S., if you can swing it.
$900 a month for a two bedroom apartment in Santa Barbara?

Old 01-31-2012, 07:42 PM

8,175 posts, read 16,562,313 times
Don't move to CO unless you are prepared to live in snow country. Sunny days aren't so great when its below freezing out. We discovered what 5 degrees and sunny was like after moving there.

$900 month will restrict you most likely to inland CA, maybe somewhere near Sacramento could work or Chico as was mentioned. If you are on a fixed income you could move almost anywhere. But if you are actually looking for work then finding a job will be key. One of the best affordable places to live with mild weather is the outskirt towns near San Luis Obispo. Check out CL: san luis obispo apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Derek

Old 01-31-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
$900 a month for a two bedroom apartment in Santa Barbara?
Backyard shed?
Money.....mere details that get in the way of a dream.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
I understand wanting to due to the SAD syndrome.

However, your comment above has me baffled. What is your definition of a "diverse" community and what benefits do you feel you will derive from such a place?

I am curious as so many have asked for in their relocation. Personally, i find the areas i have lived in all over the US to have a patchwork of cultures and people if that is what you are looking for?
Thanks for your input! This is a tricky post to make as I don't want to offend people. My response is strictly based on my own history of being bi-racial and supporting the LGBT family. Ethnic and lifestyle diversity is important to me. I find it frustrating to live in an area where isn't uncommon to encounter people that are extraordinarily judgemental, critical and even borderline racist in their ways of thinking about different ethnic backgrounds and lifestyle differences. Everyone has a right to their opinion but my personal preference would be to live in an area where those types of diversity are not so, well, few, far and between. It is my opinion that the more exposure people have to diversity the more comfortable they will become, whether they agree with different lifestyles or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California