Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 12:36 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,135,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It's not sugar. It's high fructose corn syrup. This is the ingredient that is directly responsible for the upswing in diabetes (and cancer) that we have seen in the United States in the past 20 years. But since HFCS is a by-product of the corn industry, it's doubtful that we're going to see it go away any time soon. More likely, we will see sugar, which is the direct competitor of HFCS go away, so that the corn industry can continue to prosper from the misery of the people who consume their product.

Nobody said life was fair. That's why we have to educate ourselves to know what is good and what is bad and proceed accordingly. We have to take responsibility for our own health and not count on the government or anyone else doing it for us.

20yrsinBranson
While I agree it is the HFCS, and education is good, very good, so is personal responsibility and accountability.... Indeed life is not fair...

So why not why not put cocaine back in coca cola then? I am sure coca cola would love it, they would sell even more product... Why regulate alcohol and tobacco, lets go back to celebrating the glamor and doctor recommended cigarettes...

Why regulate anything, lets just leave it all up to the free market.. Trust the corporate entities, of course they have the consumers best interest in mind, over their bottom line....

Yes Government has failed us in many ways, but it and where we choose to open our pocketbook at are about the only forms of control we as citizens have...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 02:22 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,694,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoca View Post
obviously, you didn't bother to actually take a few minutes to read the article.

Specifically, it states:

in fact, it may not be excess fat that causes diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure,non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and other manifestations of metabolic syndrome – there’s scientific evidence that suggests sugar itself is to blame. After all, 20% of obese people don’t have these diseases, but 40% of normal-weight people do.

so, according to the problem as identified by the researchers, your solution would be irrelevant.
+1

Old 02-02-2012, 02:25 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,694,357 times
The problem is they put sugar in things that probably don't need it. Why do potato chips need sugar? How about bread? Does spaghetti sauce really need a half a cup of sugar per bottle? Do you really need 2 teaspoons of sugar for every serving of salad dressing? Does a cup of yogurt really need 8-10 teaspoons of sugar to be palatable? Does your chicken noodle soup really need sugar?

Processed food is pretty ridiculous.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:33 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,308,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Ie have to take responsibility for our own health and not count on the government .... doing it for us.

20yrsinBranson
But that's SO un-Californian!

Old 02-02-2012, 03:43 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,243,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
We disagree, the motivation for any and all of these types of proposals is to fund folks who wish to create more and higher paying jobs for themselves in specific industries.

I do not support that, ever, at all.
Not quite; The motivation is to create not so much high-paylng, but low-demand "jobs" as regulators for those industries. Those patronage "jobs" (which don't answer to the demands of the marketplace) can then be doed out to those in favor with the powers-that-be.

With regard to the sugar/HFCS issue, I'm simply not buying either argument until the facts are in. Few groups are more dedicated to specific theories, more militant, or more gullible, than people with a fixed attidue on some nutritional issue. You might be able to live to be 100 via those theories, but if you're reduced to a diet of alfalfa sprouts and vitiamin pills, is that really living?

Old 02-02-2012, 06:12 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,543,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Not quite; The motivation is to create not so much high-paylng, but low-demand "jobs" as regulators for those industries. Those patronage "jobs" (which don't answer to the demands of the marketplace) can then be doed out to those in favor with the powers-that-be.

With regard to the sugar/HFCS issue, I'm simply not buying either argument until the facts are in. Few groups are more dedicated to specific theories, more militant, or more gullible, than people with a fixed attidue on some nutritional issue. You might be able to live to be 100 via those theories, but if you're reduced to a diet of alfalfa sprouts and vitiamin pills, is that really living?
Actually the facts and research are in. You just need to do a little more reading and a little less conjecture.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Just try to wrech my back of sugar from my cold sticky dead hand... I love sugar...In nature the concentration of sugar in natural food does not come close to the amount found in processed sugar...refined - or concentrated - It really does remind me of what happened to marajuanna// It at one time was a mild drug that enhanced the health of some people - now pot has been engineered (refined) to the point of being 17 times more powerful...hence it has become a poison - I concure that sugar - in it's refined state is also a poison - Leave it to the greed of man kind to take a substance and try to improve what is natural - they create - toxins...Greed generates bad health.
I share this view, another example is coca leaves... Chewed by Andean natives for millennia, with no side effects, where as refined it is devastating...

No one is taking away my maple syrup, we tap and make in spring.. or my honey.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:32 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,314,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
I share this view, another example is coca leaves... Chewed by Andean natives for millennia, with no side effects, where as refined it is devastating...

No one is taking away my maple syrup, we tap and make in spring.. or my honey.
Maple syrup is concentrated like crazy, just like other sources of sugar.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:37 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,768,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Researchers said today, that sugar can cause cancer and other health problems at the same rate or worse than tobacco or alcohol. Now i take most "scientist's findings with a grain of salt (Dang, also bad for you!) but it appears this might be a way for California to get some additional tax money.

Snickers and Milkyways at $5 a bar. Coke and Pepsi would have to be $10 a can. And, dont even think of how much a Twinkie will set you back!

I can see Snackeasys sprouting up all over California....where is another Eliott Ness when you need him?
Guess they will have to legislate themselves out of existence as we all know that fruits and nuts contain sugar.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Maple syrup is concentrated like crazy, just like other sources of sugar.
Yes I suppose you are correct... Same with honey just a toxic concentration of nectar...

Yes you can compare to straight up corn syrup it is concentrated too.... But nothing like High Fructose Corn Syrup....made with strong acids and chemicals...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: